Sign in to follow this  
Kosta

FSX: A holy grail of no CTDs?

Bogus to assert that fsx has a bug, when you're running a significant o/c and not willing to consider evaluating the impact of that o/c on your operation.Sorry Word Not Allowed, this thread is rendered meaningless given that response.

After all the testing, and ALSO testing if O/C has an impact on FS9 CTDs, and that I did test for a long long time on the previous computer, which had completely different components, IMO, it's not a bogus assumption. And yes, without the OC on the previous setup, it had same unknown CTDs, though I must say, some where scenery-caused, which I found out the reason for. Others very rare, and without apparent reason. No any other game crashed like that. Ever. I never had unexplained restarts of the whole computer.In my opinion, it's something else. I'm not a programmer, but why can't they make the application more tolerant to some errors?

Guest jsvw2001

I also had the problem of CTD's, for many weeks. Was also blaming the software but in the end it turned out to be the X45 joystick. Replaced it with the X52 and no more CTD's.

I have the same addons as Glenn, the exact same and have never seen a CTD in FSX, so I'm thinking it may be something with your computer such as background applications. I'm not going to tell you to turn your antivirus off, but I do, infact I use smartclose. Also, I can't hardly use FS9 anymore without getting a CTD with or without an "error has occured" message, and it seems to only happen after I've set up FS pushbacked and started engine, or when I'm a few miles out on approach, very annoying.Jeff

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

I reinstalled my FS9, with all its glory and addons, and since then it seems to be running A-OK. Since then I haven't seen one CTD in FS9. And also, I have barely apps running in the background. And I don't even have an antivirus.

Hi Bob,I can already see a flaw in your logic.The fact that you do not get ctd's does not necessarily mean that the OP's machine is at fault. Do you fly in the same areas that he does? Do you use the your simulator in the exactly the same manner that he does.How long are your sessions compared to his?All I am saying is that we should not be so quick to blame hardware just because you think your installation is solid. A better way to solve the problem would be to investigate with sequence of actions lead to the CTD and THEN try that sequence on other hardware.To the OP, do the CTD's seem to occur regularly at particular point in the simulation?Kabs

Kabs, your approach is logical. I have a problem with avoiding the most obvious likely cause however. Anytime I have a problem, I investigate the obvious first before painstaking one by oneing it. The OP has a massive overclock, imho the most obvious cause of instability, and refused to believe that fsx might be a tougher test on an o/c than prime 95 and memtest.To be unwilling to back off the overclock simply to assess that possibility leaves me shaking my head. I'd say this op is not willing to actively troubleshoot, and simply prefers to have a belief that MS has a bug.Thats not science, and if this is the OPs headspace, I can't really help.Bob

Kendall:If it helps, I have the same Dell box, and do not get that message at all. Running a different Videocard (7600GT, most recent drivers). I just installed FSX clean on this system after a defrag, and then immediately put on SP1. Have not tweaked any graphics/AA settings yet, just running at FSX's suggestions.

This CTD I had was a irregular one. For this one, and this was the only one in FSX, I didn't remember where it was, because it was insignificant.I know though in FS9, that in the past 4 years, I did find many scenery caused CTDs (which were mostly solvable), and yet again, there were weird ones, which I was completely unable to find (and usually happening irregularly and also sometimes on one place). I found out that a whole reinstall of the sim usually made the whole situation better, and then again, after a year or so, gets bad. Possibly through some installs...I will just make a simple compare: you know what happened to Win98 after you installed many application, uninstalled, etc? I think it's pretty similar with FS9/X.And I also do know how to keep an installation clean. But as I said before, something else is here wrong, cuz if I were the only one having CTDs, I wouldn't be here speaking about this.Bob:"To be unwilling to back off the overclock simply to assess that possibility" - been there, done that.I never refused to turn down the clock. In fact, I was running FSX clean on the non-OCed machine, and everything was OK. As it was for a long time now. As I said, this was one and only crash.As I just said, FSX was running happily until it seems that I installed couple of addons. I have FSG, ASX/G, FSForce, and couple of sceneries.Now, what it seems I forgot to say is, that FSX never crashed with FSG only.So now only remains to observe if this was a very rare one time thing, or is it like FS9, more you put in it, more often it crashes.Time will tell.But it also leaves me shaking my head, when you say that overclocking is the most obvious reason. Why would you make such a statement? Running hardware at higher speed if it can handle it, is a normal thing. And it runs stable.If we make a compare of crashes I had with non-OCed and OCed PC, I would have to say they are 1:1. Nothing changed, in any of my games. Those that were crashing, were still crashing afterwards, and the stable ones didn't.I refuse to believe that FSX is higher CPU test than all other programs running and testing hours and hours. Or should I just go against and say, prove it that it's higher CPU test. There is basically no way to check, whether both you are me are right.

I don't really understand this thread. If you had one and only one ctd with fsx, and it never happened until you added some addons, how can you suggest fsx has a bug that must be fixed?Had I known that you really don't have a problem, I wouldn't have tried to think thru potential fixes.Of course your o/c is not the cause, because there is no problem.B

Bob, just...thanks.The whole thing was actually a nag and vent, and not actually a problem solution search.I just constituted that nothing changed from FS9 to FSX apparently (CTD-wise).

Hi jturie, First of all welcome to Avsim! Thanks for using your first post to try and help me and others - a very unselfish gesture so you will be in good company around here. Yes, your info helps as I can begin to narrow my focus in troubleshooting my error message. Thankfully, I get no CTD's, just that error on exit. I was thinking that having an unsigned soundcard driver might be the culprit (it's the only driver I can get) or possibly the use of multi-monitors or even having an XP service like B.I.T.S turned off, but this posted above has also given me something to try: "in the end it turned out to be the X45 joystick." I have an X45 hooked up and modded the throttle for use with my yoke. Guess I'll have to start unhooking things go back to the basics.......FWIW Word Not Allowed, if I were getting CTD's with BOTH FS9 and FSX, or any other app for that matter, the overclock would be first on my hit list. Thanks again everyone. Regards, KendallDell 8400 3.2 GHZ H.T.3GB 533 DDR2X800XT 256MB/Catalyst driver - 7.1's6x AA/16x HQ A/FDiamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530'sDual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905CH Yoke/Pedals - Saitek Throttle

Regards, Kendall

>FWIW Word Not Allowed, if I were getting CTD's with BOTH FS9 and FSX, or>any other app for that matter, the overclock would be first on>my hit list. >I guess either I expressed myself bad or something else.I wanted to state that nothing changed from FS9 to FSX, that sceneries are causing CTDs. My vanilla FS9 doesn't crash I think (I did massive OC tests with vanilla FS9 and FSX, FS9/X on autopilot flying around hours and hours, with unlimited fuel). Never a crash.Install different addons, with 9 or X, crashes. Which I usually find, but sometimes not...So to summarize:Cause - Addon SceneryCause - FS9/X coding that crashes the sim because of that scenerySolution - find it or live with itThat clarifies everything?

Come on Word Not Allowed, it only takes 5 minutes to turn off your overclock, and 5 minutes to put it back.So turn off the overclock, run FSX for a while, and see if you still get the CTD's.Your "previous computer" or "previous setup" has zero bearing on what you are trying to solve right now at this instant.You ask in this thread for people to help you, and yet you don't want to follow anyone's advice. So why ask in the first place? Bob Bernstein didn't fall off of the turnip truck yesterday as far as FS knowledge goes. If he gives a method to test the problem, why not at least make an attempt to his advice, rather than dismiss it summarily, as you have done?What he gave you was the standard way to test for problems with hardware and software...you disable ONE feature then test. Then another feature. And test. That's simply the most efficient way to do it.If you dismiss the normal way to test for problems in computers, then he's right, it renders this whole thread pointless.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Rhett,No problem, I would do that. Go down, and test.But, what's the point if I did that already (FS9, which I use much much more than FSX)? Besides, FSX also took testing of its own on normal clock. I know you guys are trying to help, and I really appreciate that, please don't get me wrong!If you did, I apologize.