Sign in to follow this  
lliaudais

Scenery Complexity slider

Is there anywhere where the different settings of the scenery complexity slider are explained in detail? For example-at what point do jetways show up at airports, or what objects appear in 'extremely dense' that don't appear in 'very dense'.Something similar to Phil Taylor's explaination of how the water slider works in his blog would be something I would be very interested in finding. Perhaps it has already been discussed in this forum but I can't seem to find it. Regards,Tim H.

>Is there anywhere where the different settings of the scenery>complexity slider are explained in detail? For example-at>what point do jetways show up at airports, or what objects>appear in 'extremely dense' that don't appear in 'very>dense'.>>Something similar to Phil Taylor's explaination of how the>water slider works in his blog would be something I would be>very interested in finding. Perhaps it has already been>discussed in this forum but I can't seem to find it. >>Regards,>>Tim H.>>>There might some info here somewhere --> http://www.fsinsider.com/Pages/default.aspx

Tim,A good place to start would be the SDK section on scenery objects. Here one would learn that objects - jetways and many other things - have in their descriptions a defined level of lowest image complexity at which they are permitted to be displayed. You set the desired "target" level with the slider but it is the object definition which determines whether the object will be displayed at YOUR chosen level--- sample object placement code --- <<<<- minimum level visibleThis is part of decompiled scenery bgl. I could change "very sparse" to "Dense" and recompile (not wise) and then the object would only display when I raise the scenery density slider to Dense and above. When you add optional scenery objects with a scenery design tool, YOU will define the complexity level that will allow the objects to be displayed. You could theoretically change eveything to Very_Sparse, but then you would have exactly the same effect as running with the slider max right but with no way to turn things down.Short answer: whoever codes the object's placement defines the level at which they will be visible. Simple enough?There is not likely to ever be a list of every object in the sim and the display level defined for it. I go for max scenery density and cut back on autogen and other things as needed to keep around 20fps.Hope this helpsLoyd

> I could change "very sparse" to "Dense" and recompile (not wise) and then the object would only display when I raise the scenery density slider to Dense and above. >LoydLoyd, why is it not wise to recompile after making changes in, what I'm assuming is the xml header in the scenery bgl file? I was contemplating using this method to "customize" some scenery so I could have more of the objects I wanted and less of those I don't. Also, I decompiled the Lear 45 panel xml file in the hopes of using the FS9 throttle quadrant bmp and then recompiling. Is this not wise either?Thanks again for the help.Regards, KendallDell 8400 3.2 GHZ H.T.3GB 533 DDR2X800XT 256MB/Catalyst driver - 7.1's6x AA/16x HQ A/FDiamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530'sDual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905CH Yoke/Pedals - Saitek Throttle

Regards, Kendall

Thanks Loyd. Using the SDK to do some exploration of a representative airport and its associated city will probably give me a good idea of the logic of the slider.I had been experimenting around a few cities at different complexity settings trying to determine what I would be missing at lower levels on the slider trying to increase performance. So far it seems that most of the custom buildings in a city (the Space Needle in Seattle for example) show up at the lower levels, and generic objects fill in at higher levels (like cargo containers in the shipyards). Regards,Tim H.

Kendall,the risk (IF there is any) is that the decompiler might MISS interpreting something to xml. When you recompile, anything left out of the xml file would be gone for good. Here I was thinking more about "massive" adjustments to large bgl files - raising the display levels of dozens or scores of objects with corresponding "greater risk". So long as any experiments were done with copies of bgls, no permanent harm would be done. If I wanted a couple of bridges, for instance, to be always visible in "defiance" of the default settings I would back up the original bgl, decompile, edit the density settings for those bridges and recompile and not worry about it. BUT, I would also hold onto that edited xml file and use it for any future changes instead of re-decompiling the newer version 1.1. Perhaps all would be well with no degradation of the resulting bgl; I'd rather err on the side of caution.To give due credit to the talented developers that enhance this hobby so much, the decompilers that are currently available seem to be reliable and I do not hesitate to use them. But I still want to back up the originals so that I can recover from MY errors.Loyd