Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
tigran9

Phraseology - "Cross Runway"

Recommended Posts

I noticed that P2ATC says "cleared to cross runway XYZ" when a runway crossing occurs.

IRL it is only "cross runway XYZ" to prevent confusion with takeoff clearances

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also when you hold before entering runway, you are never cleared to « cross runway xx and call tower » like now. You normally contact tower before entering the departure runway and the tower issue while y oure still holding, either « line up and wait » (ex to maintain separation before releasing you or when another aircraft depart or land on an intersecting runway) or a straight « wind xxx ….cleared for take off  …. and any heading and altitude instructions ». So you always are in contact with tower before entering runway and you know if you’re just cleared to alighn or to depart. 


Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, kama2004 said:

Also when you hold before entering runway, you are never cleared to « cross runway xx and call tower » like now. You normally contact tower before entering the departure runway and the tower issue while y oure still holding, either « line up and wait » (ex to maintain separation before releasing you or when another aircraft depart or land on an intersecting runway) or a straight « wind xxx ….cleared for take off  …. and any heading and altitude instructions ». So you always are in contact with tower before entering runway and you know if you’re just cleared to alighn or to depart. 

 I the op is referring to just taxiing across a runway, not lining up etc. You would still generally be in contact with ground (some units would have you with tower to just cross but that is more of a regional thing).

Edited by Dave_YVR

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Dave_YVR said:

 I the op is referring to just taxiing across a runway, not lining up etc. You would still generally be in contact with ground (some units would have you with tower to just cross but that is more of a regional thing).

Yes, my comment was a different situation than the Op. But it was also about taxi instruction and pointing out that the current P2atc phraseology when holding at your departure runway is different from real life. At least in USA and Canada.


Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should not be cleared to cross the departure runway by ground.  This can happen if the taxi path is not defined correctly, but that is a bug.

If all works correctly, as you near the departure runway, you will be told by Ground to contact Tower.

Then, after you're ready to depart, you have to call Tower and tell them you are ready for departure.

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

You should not be cleared to cross the departure runway by ground.  This can happen if the taxi path is not defined correctly, but that is a bug.

If all works correctly, as you near the departure runway, you will be told by Ground to contact Tower.

Then, after you're ready to depart, you have to call Tower and tell them you are ready for departure.

Dave

ok, I will check the taxiway info next time this happens


Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
×
×
  • Create New...