Sign in to follow this  
Guest baksteen33

FSX under utilizing RAM?

Guest RBridgers

I recently upgraded to from 1 to 2 GB of RAM in my laptop. I've read about FSX using more than 2 GB of RAM, but even with high texture detail and lots of different AI aircraft running the most I've ever seen it use is about 650 MB, with about 500 MB or so of the page file also being used. After deducting 300 MB or so for background programs and 256 MB for the integrated video card, this leaves about 700 MB that aren't being used. If I could force FSX to use more RAM, would performance improve? How could I do this besides disabling the page file?

Guest baksteen33

Hi, FSX itself currently won't use more than 2GB, but your entire system should if it's there and those resources are requested. It depends on where you sim too, NY is a big RAM eater for example. If you hibernate the computer, it could be this is reserving memory. I know nothing about notebooks and hope somebody else knows a solution. FWIW, I'll attach a pic of MemStatus from a 4GB/XP64 machine showing over 1.9GB plus almost 500MB on the GPU. I'll also attach the pic I posted in the hardware forum showing Vista32 on 3GB with 'heaps' of free memory. :-) The shots were made at elevated settings, but far from being maxed. Scenery complexity is 'only' at Dense for example. AI is usually between 50-60IFR and 10-20VFR. Good luck and kind regards Jaap