Sign in to follow this  
bkeske

Low and slow in FSX......

My system has not allowed me to run much beyond the default scenery and planes without low frame rates. (10 or lower). However, I re-installed FSX and SP1 and left out all of my add-on's. I have not re-installed UTX or Ultimate Traffic X and I can fly with very acceptable frame rates in the Realair Scout and SF260 and Beaver X blurry free. (Even in Seattle). In fact the sim looks pretty good "awe natural". Using the cute Abacus EZ-GPS, I can fly VFR by roads or routes or Navaids. I have never bought anything from Abacus, but this gauge has a 7 day trial period and I am quite impressed with the functionally and sharp map graphics. The pic below is highly compressed and looks superb on my screen. It doesn't have approaches etc, but I use the terminal charts for that when bush flying. (heck I'm lucky if the strip has lights. LOL.)I still have FS9 for heavy lifting and imagine it will be months or a year before I see the level of high quality airports and planes in FSX that I enjoy in FS9. Bob...http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/177157.jpg

Hey, that is pretty neat actually. I was/am a big user of the Reality 430/530 GPS units in FS9, and what I really miss (included in the Garmin trainer data base, thus included with the RXP units) is the ability to display the roads I am passing over/coming upon.I may have to check this out....thanks for the info......As far as frame rates, I just flew in pretty solid cloud cover tonight with the RA Scout with ASX, X Graphics, and Ultimate Terrain and was hitting the 20's pretty steadily (locked at 30) the whole way to Cumberland Regional. I find RealAir has simply done an incredible job making their aircraft 'frame rate' friendly without sacrificing crisp, clear, smooth, etc. gauges, textures and 'flight smoothness'.

Bob,I've used FSMMovingMap with FS9 since it was released; I was delighted to find that it works well for me in FSX, though only in the external app mode; the FSX kneeboard doesnt allow that method I understand, but I've always used it full size anyway. UTX has more roads than the downloadable VFR charts show but I never leave home without it...Loyd