Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

Enjoying the Updated CJ4

The WT CJ4 was one of my favorites, and the improvements that are now part of the default aircraft are excellent.  I'm relearning the aircraft now and discovering new capabilities with the FMS.  Weather throughout the Midwestern US was certainly challenging yesterday, and it allowed me to push the NAV system and performance quite a bit.

Flying into Cedar Rapids, Iowa (KCID) from the eastern US, I was forced to make a change of runways and approaches, changing from the ILS Rwy 09 to the RNAV Rwy 31.  The FMS handled the change very well, but as I was now way too high for the IAF I needed to adapt.  I found the Hold menu and easily set up a hold at the transition point where I could descend to initial approach altitude.  I was able to select the hold exit and the system went right into the approach beautifully.  The approach included VNAV so I kept it coupled most of the way down and she did a beautiful job, breaking out right at the DH and in great alignment (even with the approach change, wind was still a major factor - about a 50° crosswind at 9 Kts gusting to 21 Kts).

52694520676_e5025235ce_k.jpg

The previous model from WT landed well when given only a slight nose-up before touchdown - this time she slammed down hard, so I'm guessing that a little more flair may now be required?  Overall, quite a gem.  Also, it was great to see the runways, taxiways and tarmacs free of snow!

• Like 3

Randall Rocke

I have been diving into the CJ4 as well. I now can have it fly the flight plan but struggle with approaches. But this plane is worth the effort to figure this stuff out. Slowly building up to trying the PMDG birds. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

Had my first semi-successful approach. I am really starting to love this plane. The discontinuities seem to be throwing me off, but I think I figured those out by just going direct to the next waypoint. Of course I disengaged the AP too early, and that led to a very rough landing (Telluride) but I think a flight or two more and I might have this baby sorted out. 

Great aircraft! Well done WT. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

So, do we still need the WT CJ4 or is the stock one now as good? Just curious as I was thinking of giving this one a try. 

As indicated on the WT website, the WT CJ4 mod is no longer current.  The new stock CJ4 is the one to fly.

8 minutes ago, Lotharen said:

So, do we still need the WT CJ4 or is the stock one now as good? Just curious as I was thinking of giving this one a try. 

The default one is even better so just use it and get rid of the mod since it might cause issues

• Like 1

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

2 hours ago, RobJC said:

The discontinuities seem to be throwing me off, but I think I figured those out by just going direct to the next waypoint.

If the actual approach incorporates a vector to the IAF then you will have a discontinuity.  Going Direct to the next waypoint will work in some cases but it is not always the best practice when approaching from beyond 90°. 

In that case I vector myself using heading mode and set up a good next segment intercept - then go back to NAV mode and she picks it up.

• Like 1

Randall Rocke

Working title have absolutely transformed the CJ4! 

I’m hoping they announce they’ve also been working on the asobo 787 in a future surprise or avionics update, 

• Like 2

No complaints here, just hoping that someone will be able to mod simbrief support back into it. 🙂  

Yep I think I like the CJ4 even more than the longitude.  The CJ4 pro line avionics just feel a touch more professional.  I love the G3000/5000 too but the CJ is something special.  And it's a nice looking jet.

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

10 hours ago, stefaandk said:

No complaints here, just hoping that someone will be able to mod simbrief support back into it. 🙂  

I'm not experiencing that much of a difference.  I import my SimBrief plan into Navigraph and export it to the FS Flight Planner.  Once in the aircraft the flight plan from SimBrief is mostly there in the FMS.  At this point I usually had to add the SIDs and STARs anyway.

Now it's not uncommon for the approach and departure portions to already be in place (as they and the transitions were incorporated by Navigraph).

Now, if I could only get her to not land like a tank.  I've tried carrying VAPP all the way to the threshold, reducing to VREF, going almost level at touchdown, adding slight flair - still banging.  Anyone find the magic touch?

Randall Rocke

1 hour ago, RandallR said:

Now, if I could only get her to not land like a tank.  I've tried carrying VAPP all the way to the threshold, reducing to VREF, going almost level at touchdown, adding slight flair - still banging.  Anyone find the magic touch?

If I was guessing, it might be how you're timing the flare, altitude over the threshold etc.

I flew the WT version a lot in the past and found this YouTube channel really helpful: thecorporatepilotdad. He's a real-world CJ pilot and goes into a lot of detail on how to properly use the avionics. There's a good V-speed tutorial that might help you with the landings.

Some of his newer tutorials focus on the CJ4 with the AAU1 changes. Personally I like his presentation style - only the info you need and not a lot of other irrelevant content.

ASUS MAXIMUS IX CODE Z270, i7-7700K OC@4.8, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, VKBSim Gladiator joystick, CH Pro pedals, Razer Orbweaver Chroma Gaming Keypad, Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB (main drive/sim drive), WD Black 1TB HDD

2 hours ago, CapnCrunch said:

If I was guessing, it might be how you're timing the flare, altitude over the threshold etc.

I flew the WT version quite a bit and studied the early tutorials you mention.  I also make sure to follow the Vapp and Vrep that come out of the FMS before each approach.  I was usually able to grease the aircraft.

Ever since the update the same timing and procedure isn't working for me so something has changed.  The only video I saw posted with the AAU1 changes had a lot of errors in it and was obviously not from an actual pilot of the aircraft.  In fact, he was corrected several times in the comment section by those who had real world experience with the aircraft.

I'll check out your link and see what I can pick up.  Thanks!

Randall Rocke

Anyone have a link to a check list for the newest version? I's like to print one out and finding one for this latest update is proving challenging.

19 hours ago, RandallR said:

I flew the WT version quite a bit and studied the early tutorials you mention.  I also make sure to follow the Vapp and Vrep that come out of the FMS before each approach.  I was usually able to grease the aircraft.

I have exactly the same problem, it's like a brick hotting the floor when I land now!