Sign in to follow this  
cat

Why is Ultimate Defrag taking forever?

Guest phenom

It's been running for about 26 hours now and is only at 44%. I don't have a dog of a machine either - E6600 OC'd to 3.6GHz, dual 150GB Raptors on RAID0, 2G RAM, so on and so forth.So why's it taking so long?

Guest phenom

by the way, I'm doing a Consolidate with everything at default.

Guest phenom

thirdly, should I really be getting 30 seconds per 100,000 files performance? I've got an estimate now on just a fragmented files only defrag of 3H 44min for 34000 files.

The issue is not fragmentation but the need to move files into their assigned tracks. Read/write on the same disk + head movement is time consuming. I have the same time element when I run Ultimate DeFrag after lots of downloading or other large scale file activity. Maybe their are better buffering schemes or perhaps working in different chunk (sub-file) sizes. The user can't control that. The best strategy is to do the consolidation periodically so the "stuff" is not scattered all over the disk. XP seems to write to random areas. Probably doesn't but it does look like a mess after a few days and then you spend time cleaning (consolidating) up the mess.Regards,Dick BoleyA PC, an LCD, speakers, CH yoke

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

just sit back and keep watching it running: don't cancel in the middle of a defrag - you might lose the whole machine. If it takes that long let it do it's thing. Once it's finished you can alter any settings you need to: I'm using Diskeeper, and it runs constantly in the background: you may be able to do that with UD. Good luck with this one.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

150GB RAID0 huh?Have you ever defragged before?How many apps do you have installed, IE how much free space do you have left?26 seems high but if they are nearly full then maybe not if you have never defragged

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest phenom

Built the system about 6-8 months ago, have about 200GB free, never defragged before now.

Then a real good defrag can take a long, long time.Especially with FSX - which needs to be defragged weekly in my experience.

Guest D17S

I use Ultimate too, but I use it to keep my FS stuff at the outer edge of the disk. Ultimate calls this Performance Mode. I have found this really makes a difference on a single drive system. As an experiment, I cloned my single drive to my raid set. On the single drive, I set Ultimate's high performance mode to move my FS directories to the outside tracks. It made a big difference in load times. I then tried a 'before and after' defrag, time-trial on the raid 0 set with the same Ultimate setup. It made no difference on the raid. Zero. It appears Ultimate may deal with simple consolidations on a raid OK, but it can't deal with specified directory positioning. Bummer. It'd sure be the boss if we could find a defragger that would would use an Ultimate-type 'performance mode' to move selected files to the outside edge of a raid's multi-disk array. Talk about a turbo charged disk system. That'd be it. Anyone heard of such a thing?

Guest UlfB

>just sit back and keep watching it running: don't cancel in>the middle of a defrag - you might lose the whole machine.Is there a bug in Ultimate Defrag? I'm using Perfect Disc and there is no problems to abort a defrag.Ulf B

>I use Ultimate too, but I use it to keep my FS stuff at the>outer edge of the disk. Ultimate calls this Performance Mode.>I have found this really makes a difference on a single drive>system. >>As an experiment, I cloned my single drive to my raid set. On>the single drive, I set Ultimate's high performance mode to>move my FS directories to the outside tracks. It made a big>difference in load times. I then tried a 'before and after'>defrag, time-trial on the raid 0 set with the same Ultimate>setup. It made no difference on the raid. Zero. It appears>Ultimate may deal with simple consolidations on a raid OK, but>it can't deal with specified directory positioning. Bummer. >>It'd sure be the boss if we could find a defragger that would>would use an Ultimate-type 'performance mode' to move selected>files to the outside edge of a raid's multi-disk array. Talk>about a turbo charged disk system. That'd be it. >>Anyone heard of such a thing?:-cool Be patient Sam, jv 16 PowerTools aka Macecraft, are working on just such a beast. If their past quality applications are anything to go by, their 'DeFragger" will be the ultimate one to have.:-abduct

Just let it run. Your disk(s) were probably in such a bad shape that it needed a good defrag. It's not uncommon that the first pass takes that long.One factor for the slowdown could be that there's not enough space on some of the partitions. Make sure that you have at least 10%-20% free space that Ultimate Defrag can use to swap files.Good luck!Pat

In my case my disks were in good shape-but I've had it stop and freeze many times at various %'s -and take up to two-three days to get the job done. I have Vista Pro and from the notes of some of the updates I'd expect the problem might be here. I have to say I have not been totally happy with it-including the fact I never have gotten support or replies to my emails after purchasing it because I guess a yahoo email address is shunned.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgForum Moderatorhttp://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Hi,The first time I used Ultimate Defrag it was running long, but I changed the % of resources used from "auto" to "100". After I did that, it performed much faster and completed a consolidate defrag in ~ 35 minutes or so. However, my system is pretty much dedicated solely to FSX so, not sure if this will help you or not.You may have already adjusted this setting but if not you might want to give it a try.Regards,Vic

>It's been running for about 26 hours now and is only at 44%. >I don't have a dog of a machine either - E6600 OC'd to 3.6GHz,>dual 150GB Raptors on RAID0, 2G RAM, so on and so forth.>>So why's it taking so long?Double check your primary IDE channel in device manager and see if it has fallen back to PIO mode. Sometimes defragging does that. If so remove the primary IDE channel and reboot, it will reinstall in DMA mode. That should speed things up back to normal again.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png