Sign in to follow this  
bobcat999

Are Flight Replicas any good? DC-4 / C-54 in development...

...Along with a DH114 Heron (which I would also love), DH83 Fox Moth, a Spitfire / Seafire, and a few other models.

I can't fully explain why, but I prefer the DC-4 / C-54 over the DC-6, (even though there is a good PMDG one out there, which I don't own).  I just think I have a soft spot for the 4.

I am just wondering if anyone has purchased any Flight Replicas aircraft in the past (they were around in FSX apparently), and were they any good?  I just want them to do it justice (DC-4).

https://msfsaddons.com/2023/02/20/flight-replicas-unveils-plans-for-2023-the-spitfire-dh-114-heron-dc-4-and-the-super-cub/

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Flight Replicas is a one-man developer with an excellent reputation. He works out of Montreal. He was (still is I think) a regular at the Outhouse.

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I had their Supercub bundle in FSX, and loved them!  The modelling was pretty decent and I found them good performers, e.g. first time I could raise a plane's tail tail using throttle + brakes.  Just noticed they have a L-4 Grasshopper for MSFS so I'm tempted.

• Like 1

I had the Flight Replica's Halifax/Halton package for P3D, in fact I was a beta tester for it, and I can assure you that Mike's models are millimetre perfect. Not too heavy in terms of systems, but everything you need and easily accessible.  If he ever does the Halifax again, and the B-24 too, I'll buy them without a moment's hesitation.

• Like 4

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

6 hours ago, Paul K said:

I had the Flight Replica's Halifax/Halton package for P3D, in fact I was a beta tester for it, and I can assure you that Mike's models are millimetre perfect. Not too heavy in terms of systems, but everything you need and easily accessible.  If he ever does the Halifax again, and the B-24 too, I'll buy them without a moment's hesitation.

you can add me to those 2 A/c - my dad flew them in the war and I had both in P3D

• Like 1

I had his Cubs in FSX/P3D and I loved flying them.
The models indeed looked great but textures were very clean. Maybe too clean.

Wow, a Heron! Hopefully someone will make a Dove (DH.104) one day but it's nice to see these aircraft gets some attention.

• Like 1

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

I had the Heron in FSX/P3D and wasn't that impressed with it. No systems real systems simulation/animation. Perhaps Flight Replica has upped its game to meet the quality demanded by the products we now have in MSFS2020.

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

5 hours ago, AviatorMan said:

I had the Heron in FSX/P3D and wasn't that impressed with it. No systems real systems simulation/animation. Perhaps Flight Replica has upped its game to meet the quality demanded by the products we now have in MSFS2020.

For me MSFS has raised the bar when it comes to system depth. This is partly due to a number of third party developers bringing us wonderful aircraft to play with but even some of the default aircraft are getting updates which makes them interesting to fly.

Its interesting that while some people thought that MSFS would be just for looks the opposite is becoming true: While we still desire good looks, we won't settle for mediocre system depth because of what we have already.

Edited by orchestra_nl

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

16 minutes ago, orchestra_nl said:

While we still desire good looks, we won't settle for mediocre system depth because of what we have already.

I am with you about what is desirable but there always will be a market for mid-range  products. Crafted well without all the depth of a A2A, plenty of liveries, not pricey, with a good support. FR does that well. 

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

23 hours ago, AviatorMan said:

I had the Heron in FSX/P3D and wasn't that impressed with it.

Agreed, but I think it was quite an early model from FR? ... and I also had the Halifax, B24 and BF109 and loved them 🙂
I'm disappointed with the planned aircraft, all the ones I don't want and none of the ones I do, but hoping for the future!

• Like 1

Good point. Why a DC4 when we already have a superb DC6.  And a superb Lockheed Constellation. All superb aircraft, but very complicated and time consuming to fly properly. What seems to be missing are dual engine prop airliners, which to my mind are more suitable to Flight Simulator (throttle/mixture setup etc. not too hard with dual engine but very difficult with four engine. Not enough room to have throttle quadrants for 4 engine craft. ) Why not for example the Jetstream 4100, or a really good DC3, or the Convair 240 series ? The Convair 240 for example seems to have been completed ignored  since FS4. This airliner had a brief but important role in short haul routes in the 1950's and was used by American Airlines, United Airlines, Western Airlines, Continental Airlines, Pan American Airways, Lufthansa, KLM, Swissair, Sabena, and Trans Australia Airlines and others?

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

1 hour ago, AviatorMan said:

Why a DC4 when we already have a superb DC6.  

Well, you could say that about the PMDG 737-600, 700, 800, and 900 etc., but they sell! 

For me, I would rather have a DC-4, and it would be different enough from the 6.
The PMDG DC-6 is obviously great, but not for me, as I don't need deep systems level. 

There are all types of simmers, and as long as it is modelled well, with good sounds, and as long as I can get it into the air with about 90% systems depth, I would love to see it. 

On most aircraft, it is the last 10% of systems depth to get right which is complex and adds to the cost if done 100% accurately, but I think a lot of simmers in MSFS aren't always after that.  Like you say, they take so long to learn.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

2 hours ago, keithb77 said:

I'm disappointed with the planned aircraft, all the ones I don't want and none of the ones I do, but hoping for the future!

Yes, I feel a bit that way too. Either of FR's four-engined heavies would have been very welcome this year. We'll just have to wait for Flying Iron to reveal the one they are working on.

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org