Sign in to follow this  
Guest wyoming

It finally happened to me...

Guest MauiHawk

> I don't know what kind of setup you have but the best is>to put FSX on a separate hardrive and that way the reformat is>not such a problem. I have had the errors since last October>and have not done any reformats.Well, good thing all software isn't like this! I'd hate to have to have a each piece of software on its own partition.... what a waste.It seems to me the problem is installers are trying to be too "smart" these days. Ironically, I think idea is by making the installers smart enough to take everything on a customer's system into account, you could avoid many of the pitfalls that happened for customers on "unique" systems. But when the process gets too complicated, one blown step and the installer/uninstaller is useless.Why can't installers simply include a "force" over-install option that dumps files, registry entries and registers classes they way installers used to work? It seems absurd to me that remnants of a previous installation should be allowed to stand in your way of an overinstall. FSX is not the only place I've heard of such problems... we actually have dealt with similar (though perhaps not so severe) situations at my job quite often-- for instance, since moving to use InstallShield 12 to produce our installs, we went through period of time where we were having many problems with the installer not replacing files it needed to when trying to update customers. We finally have somewhat hacked the installer in a way that seems to be forcing a complete overinstall for everybody, but it took an incredible amount of time to figure out how to get it to do a "dumb" overinstall. Maybe we just don't know InstallShield 12 well enough yet, but it seems absurd to me that it should be so hard to get the installer to stop thinking so hard about the install process and just dump the files.While I'm on a roll.... anyone else here had the experience of installing Visual Studio 2005 in 20 minutes, but then watched SP1 take over 2 hours to install? (most of it in the "gathering required info" stage. What the heck is it "gathering"? I could run a complete virus scan of my system in that time...) ASX/XG seems to be victim of the same process.... I wanted to move the installation a while back... while uninstalling took about 30 min rather than over 2 hours, it still took many many times longer than installing it in the first place... most of it in the "gathering required info" step). And Sage's ACT is one of many other pieces of software where I've experienced the problem of not being about to re-install because the installer was finding remnants of a previous install... which, of course, it was unable to uninstall (though I've never encountered a situation so bad that I had to reformat... up to now, cleaning out registry entries has eventually done the trick).Anyway, my plea to installer makers out there: stop the madness! There may be shortcomings to having dumb dump-the-data installers, but you have to at least give us that option for the cases that your installers outsmart themselves.

Guest baksteen33

Another couple of questions and thoughts... :-) We know winXP and Vista 'self-optimize' around the C drive, do these operating systems also optimize D, E, F, etc? 2nd thought: FSX 'scatters' files all over our C partition; the FSX.cfg is in the OS-user profile, the scenery.cfg is in 'an all users' profile, saved flights are in yet another folder, etc. I wonder to which degree we're calling for havoc (or increased need for support for that matter), if we install away from defaults? Has anybody considered (or tried); instead of installing FSX in 'D', mapping the same HD to its default location in C? This maybe could be an elegant solution to keep the paths but yet still enjoy the benefits of an extra harddrive? Cheers and kind regards Jaap Edited, still can't spell and think logically! :-)

No change Tom. I've always been the administrator. As far as UAC in Vista, everyone should turn it off at the first opportunity. I get enough "protection" from the government, I don't need more "protection" from Microsoft :-). Thanks for the input though.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

You're right Rhett, it's a problem no matter where FSX is installed. I have eight drives on this system but only one Registry - and that's on the drive with the rest of the OS. Format or restore the drive where the OS resides and the current Registry is also obliterated. I have to restore the OS drive back to a base imgage once each quarter for security, and other, reasons so I'm VERY familiar with the problems of managing 2TB of data across eight physical drives.I'm going to wait until the first week in October when the next restore is scheduled and see what's what then. I'll either reinstall FSX after that restore or, if the timing looks right, just wait for SP2 and install the whole thing then.But, as I said earlier, I wonder how Joe Average and his kids are doing. I can't imagine the average computer user running into this problem and having to deal with the non-support from MS. Grrrrrrr............. :-fume Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

I'm sorry this crap is happening to ya...I haven't had the said error myself (yet) but if I did I'm sure I would ERRRRR GRRRRRR AHHHHHHH Q#$$%^$#&$%^#$ all over the place! So that's for you! GRRRRR ACTIVATION GRRRR!!!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

>But, as I said earlier, I wonder how Joe Average and his kids>are doing. I can't imagine the average computer user running>into this problem and having to deal with the non-support from>MS. Grrrrrrr............. :-fume Doug, it's quite likely that "Joe Average and his kids" aren't having problems. They probably aren't constantly tinkering with things and installing a bazillion bytes of add-ons... :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest CocoLoco

>While I'm on a roll.... anyone else here had the experience of>installing Visual Studio 2005 in 20 minutes, but then watched>SP1 take over 2 hours to install? (most of it in the>"gathering required info" stage.Yes - been there twice. > What the heck is it "gathering"? I could run a complete virus scan > of my system in that time...)I wish I knew - Visual Studio 2005 seemed to upset a lot of developers when it first came out. I now try and program in Java on my Mac whenever possible, despite spending years using Visual Studio and C++. It's a lot less frustrating.I wish Windows installations were as simple as the Mac as well - you just drag and drop an App folder and that's it. No installer required... I better shut up about Macs before I'm accused of being a member of the cult - my MacBook Pro does seem to run FSX very nicely though! :D

I waited until a nice afternoon here to install VS on my work computer, it gave me plenty of time to take a walk on the grounds at work, get a tan, etc.I just assumed that the SP1 install was finding pieces and updating them instead of just overwriting files with new files, to minimize the download size of the service pack. I could see how the hunt and peck method of shuffling bytes would take a good deal longer than "copy file from point a to point b".

Guest MauiHawk

>I just assumed that the SP1 install was finding pieces and>updating them instead of just overwriting files with new>files, to minimize the download size of the service pack. I>could see how the hunt and peck method of shuffling bytes>would take a good deal longer than "copy file from point a to>point b".I don't buy that... plenty of installers do just that without requiring all afternoon to do so. Well, okay, I buy the idea that that is what is taking so long, but dispute the idea that it *needs* to take that long.EDIT: I'm particularily suspicious that .Net may be the culprit. It seems to be applications that use .Net that I notice the long "gathering info" problem including ASX/XG and Sage's ACT that I mentioned above.

>>I just assumed that the SP1 install was finding pieces and>>updating them instead of just overwriting files with new>>files, to minimize the download size of the service pack. I>>could see how the hunt and peck method of shuffling bytes>>would take a good deal longer than "copy file from point a>to>>point b".>>I don't buy that... plenty of installers do just that without>requiring all afternoon to do so. Well, okay, I buy the idea>that that is what is taking so long, but dispute the idea that>it *needs* to take that long.>>EDIT: I'm particularily suspicious that .Net may be the>culprit. It seems to be applications that use .Net that I>notice the long "gathering info" problem including ASX/XG and>Sage's ACT that I mentioned above.I'd certainly be curious to see what the installers are written in. I know some guys who work with WiX, and I'm going to pass this by them to see if they encounter that problem. Nothing that can't be tracked down by some research, I'm sure.

Sure they are. I'm having the problem trying to install on a freshly restored WinXp SP2 active partition that has never seen FSX. That's a darn sight "cleaner" than Joe Average's computer that he shares with the kids. Grrrrrr..........:-fumeDoug

Right on! Grrrrr.........:-fume

The 1722 error is like constipation.It could happen to YOU, out-of-the-blue.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

> First, let me acknowledge that I have no business posting>this but, in an effort to make myself feel a little better,>I'm going to rant a bit anyway.>> I encountered the dreaded 1722/1603 error some days ago.>I have tried every fix known to man. FSX will not reinstall.>After 50+ hours of trying I give up. I will NOT reformat to>solve this problem.>> Accordingly, I am now in the process of trying to remove>all vestages of said FSX program and will, without remorse, go>back to flying FS2004 only.>> I'm not looking for help and I'm not looking for sympathy.>I've been around too long for that. I'm just PO'd.>> There. I feel better already. End of rant.>>Doug> Borrow another dvd drive!

Sigh....