Sign in to follow this  
victorwest2

SP2(DX10) is that what we really want?

Guest Hocking

ACES should have dropped all this DX10 mumbo-jumbo about 12 months ago. It has really made them look bad, Microsoft look bad, and this whole Vista/DX10 thing look bad. FSX was supposed to be Microsoft's DX10 show-case game, and nearly a full year after FSX's release it isn't even DX10 compatible yet. That is simply laughable!!!!! ACES should have just planned on implementing DX10 with the next Flight Simulator and skipped it all together for FSX due to the Vista/DX10 release schedule not being the same as FSX's. DX10 has been completely oversold, and nearly everything dealing with DX10 has been filled with nothing but major disappointment because most of our hopes and dreams were driving out of this world due to the hype. Eventually, I am sure it will be nice, and things can only get better from this point on. But that will be more than a year away for most of us (I am not interested in another FPS like Crysis), and probably only a few games will even use the technology to its fullest potential over the next 2 to 3 years.I am even starting to consider skipping the entire Vista/DX10 experience myself. Maybe I will make the leap to their next OS system that will probably be out within 2 years at the most. Vista is looking more and more like the Windows ME experience back in 2000. Pretty scary!!!!!!!

Guest in_04

Did nobody read the Blog from Phil complete?He wrote "So where does that leave us in Phase 3? Well, we are done. Here are 2 screenshots, DX9 and DX10 to show what the 2 pipelines look like side by side. Do you see a difference? Hint, look at the top left. Yes, ta-da, that is correct. DX10 is running faster than DX9. By 17% or so. So see, there is proof that DX10 might actually be ok. That is the only difference you should see!"This means DX10 version of FSX is 17% faster than DX9. All of us should know that FSX is mostly CPU bound, so 17% faster just for the use of not fully optimized DX10 is very promising and in line with the often posted +30% which DX10 would be faster than DX9. You must think about +30% in the graphics pipeline not mean that the whole game run +30% faster. So I would be blessed if the SP2/DX10 update would just released with the 17% performance gain.Cant wait too see what features Aces will build in, hope for some lighting features, maybe grass and if possible better handling of the SM2.0 water. All should be possible, because they can upgrade all shader code to SM4.0 if they wish. And like some of you saw in Bioshock, SM3.0 or SM4.0 shader code is much faster than SM2.x shader code ever was (currently FSX use at best SM2.x shader code).Maybe they use real HDR lightning?Cant wait for the next post of Phil.Thats my 2 cent to the DX10 version of FSX.

Guest MauiHawk

>Even without screenshots its pretty easy to see that DX10>won't do much at all. Just look at all the other games that>have DX10 like Company of Heroes or Bioshock. You can barely>tell the difference and in most cases you have to have>side-by-side comparisons of high res screenshots to notice>them. On top of that there is no magical performance increase,>only a slight decrease of about 2 fps. In FS 2 FPS is a huge>hit when you're having to lock it at 24 or whatever. Staple>this on to an engine that is already seemingly inefficient and>frustrating to get running at an acceptable level and what you>get is a product vastly different from what the Microsoft hype>machine has been spitting out. Well, on the one hand, I agree not to expect to much, particularily given the fact that ACES is only spending a couple months tops on implementing the new features. Also, it sounds to me like many of the benefits of DX10 come from it allowing the engine architecture to be coded more effeiciently... but if a game hasn't been coded around DX10 in the first place, I think a lot of that potential is lost (as with CoH). But more recently, other games have done better-- I thought the volumetric smoke in the World in Conflict beta added quite a bit to the game and there was virtually no performance hit to using it vs DX9 (on Vista, at least). And Crysis demo movies have shown even more potential.But while FSX SP2 won't include Crysis's level of DX10 work, I think it is a pretty unique candidate for improvements via DX10. Basically, a lot of DX10 seems to boil down to the ability to move work off of the CPU and on to the GPU. In every other game to this point that has supported DX10, the GPU has already been the bottleneck. But in FSX, you can pretty much guarantee anyone with DX10 hardware has a lot of unused GPU potential right now since it is spending most of its time waiting on the CPU. Therefore, ACES should be able to pile on quite a few graphics goodies before the GPU becomes as worked as the CPU is and begins affecting performance.On top of that, my most hoped-for feature is that Phil said they were looking into the possibility of shifting the DirectX work to a secondary core... something that hadn't been possible with DX9. Since it is my understanding that at least 30% or so of the work the first core is doing is making DX calls, it seems to me there is a lot of potential for this to allow for a large FPS increase on multicore machines-- moving 30% of the workload from core 1 to core 2 could theoretically allow for ~ a 50% increase in FPS... and that's before you factor in any other potential performance benefits of DX10.

I am looking forward to DX10. Hopefully the bloom effect would be shifted to the Video card and not consume FPS.Also, I wish they do whatever is needed to make sure there is a parameter for users to slide the %age of CPU use for rendering textures. I don't want to see that neon green runways (blurries problem). My blood pressure goes up when I see that stupid thing. Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I'm wondering if anyone's taken a look at the Train Sim 2 screenshots from Leipzig.Personally, I think the FSX engine has a lot of pop in it.

Better yet, that single in-cab video is simply stunning. DX10 isn't even working up a head of steam yet, and already it looks incredible. Likewise, I think we've only scratched the surface of what we'll see before FSX's reign is over.

Guest Pilot533

Im guessing thats fake.

Since I had to reformat my drive and reinstall everything due to those pesky activation errors that effect the innocent I haven't had any blurries on my now almost 4 year old system.What I really want-the complete flight experience on my aged pc for a one time $50-$70 fee instead of paying around $200/hr for the real thing. :-) Whoops-seems I already have that-at least to the next improvements. :-lol Always room for improvement of course but for the cost I can't see a better bargain in life. Bring on dx10, fsx 11 and whatever that will improve my home life for a fraction of the cost of the real thing! God we are lucky!http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgForum Moderatorhttp://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Um... no, actually Crysis is being developed by a (I believe) German developer called Crytek. They're just making #### GOOD use of the tools Microsoft has produced. For DX10 being in its infancy, it's some great progress and truly a sight to behold, speaking purely from a technical standpoint. Don't let a bias against first person shooters prevent you from seeing a fine example of the potential the API provides.FS11 is going to be awesome.

"No matter how eloquent you are or how solidly and firm you've built your case, you will never win in an argument with an idiot, for he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous.

Guest Hawk78

The DX10 "work in progress / only at DX9 level / no improvements added" stills (& framerate increase at that stage) obviously kick off some discussion, but in the end we'll have to do it all over again when they actually post some true (ie real / finished / not work in progress) DX10 screenshots...Lets save some energy till then! ;-)

oh boy..not only they won't force you to get DX10 patch, but they won't charge you if your decided to get it.