Sign in to follow this  
raymar

First Look at New Zealand update

28 minutes ago, turbomax said:

and we have lift off

There's also elevation on the taxiway connection to the runway, I had to use thrust to get up it earlier.

40 minutes ago, superspud said:

Sometimes they do it and sometimes they don't. Not sure why there's variation. Not much one can do other than exclude it. 

Actually... see pmb's post..

Bert

32 minutes ago, pmb said:

The first thing I did was scanning my Addon Linker NZ directory and removing a dozen of freeware addons with a high probability of conflicting or being obsolete now. I might return a couple of them after having visited the places.

The Milford Sound freeware was one of the victims, although it served me well for some time.

Kind regards, Michael

NZA simulations should release their Milford sound scenery soon. Their scenery is amongst the best (if not the best) I have ever seen in a flightsim.

• Like 2

With regard to Orbx's NZ mesh:

With the release of our NZ Mesh product a couple of years ago, customers have been enjoying the improved DEM and our approach to custom terrain meshes.

As we know, the New Zealand World Update uses the same LINZ source data as we did for our NZ Mesh product, with about a third of the country being covered with 1m LiDAR data, and the remainder with about 10m resolution.

Our package is pre-compiled at 10m while the New Zealand update version gets streamed at up to the full resolution of the source. This means that the sim will load and cycle through three additional levels of detail near the user aircraft, which can cause visible ground changes. In addition, we use different algorithms for generating the embedded LOD levels, which usually helps with retaining terrain shapes at mid to far distances.

With that in mind, we are temporarily removing NZ Mesh from sale on OrbxDirect and the Microsoft Marketplace. Customers who already have purchased the scenery will still be able to access the product to install/reinstall.

Once the NZ World Update is released, we welcome feedback from existing users on their NZ Mesh experience with the update. As it's a sizeable area to assess for pros and cons, this will be valuable to us and help us determine future plans for NZ Mesh.

https://forum.orbxdirect.com/topic/217215-information-regarding-nz-mesh-for-microsoft-flight-simulator/

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

So if I understand that correctly:

• the 10m Orbx mesh will hopefully load faster than the update when you travel to a new area (as it is already on disk)
  • and the Orbx version may retain detail for more distant areas for longer than the update does (due to different algorithms), 
  • but the update will potentially be more detailed in some areas due to enabling the 1m LIDAR (that is not currently enabled in the Orbx version) 

????

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

4 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

The Top Gun addon??  I thought I might have to plunk another cruise ship on top to mask it..

Edit: Tried it, and yes 🙂

Yep. Unfortunately you cannot delete the Top Gun add-on in this sim. It is “compulsory” to keep it unless you want your ships consumed by spiderwebs. A bug Asobo needs to address as there are files in the Top Gun package that are core to the sim.

• Like 2

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

3 hours ago, RaptyrOne said:

Yep. Unfortunately you cannot delete the Top Gun add-on in this sim. It is “compulsory” to keep it unless you want your ships consumed by spiderwebs. A bug Asobo needs to address as there are files in the Top Gun package that are core to the sim.

Could be the effects package that contains wake animations..  I deleted the carrier landing challenge and darkstar again, which were the biggest items.. 

Bert

3 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

So if I understand that correctly:

• the 10m Orbx mesh will hopefully load faster than the update when you travel to a new area (as it is already on disk)
  • and the Orbx version may retain detail for more distant areas for longer than the update does (due to different algorithms), 
  • but the update will potentially be more detailed in some areas due to enabling the 1m LIDAR (that is not currently enabled in the Orbx version) 

????

So perhaps we should uninstall Orbx for time being, is way I read it?

Just now, RobF2 said:

So perhaps we should uninstall Orbx for time being, is way I read it?

Yes, just now on the NZA Discord they recommend removing the Orbx mesh, pending a rework.

• Like 1

Flying over Auckland I have to say its photogrammetry is excellent

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

2 hours ago, edpatino said:

Flying over Auckland I have to say its photogrammetry is excellent

Not my experience at NZWN (Wellington} - set for takeoff on RWY 16 the surrounding buildings are a melted mess.

Bruce

• Like 1

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

1 hour ago, brucewtb said:

Not my experience at NZWN (Wellington} - set for takeoff on RWY 16 the surrounding buildings are a melted mess.

+1 - disappointed 😞

The NZMF airport is nice but the mountains along the Milford Sound look ugly. ORBX mesh is not (!) active neither are any other add-ons in this area.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

On 2/24/2023 at 10:09 AM, raymar said:

Well, there is obviously some work to be done.  I started, well, tried to start at Milford Sound, NZ, a small out of the way GA airport.  This is what I was greeted with for a runway start.  duh.

Regards,

Ray

2022245044_milfordsoundNZ.thumb.JPG.12d916e51f9468e3424023b4071967d5.JPG

You are quite right with your pic - the problem is that the world Chart is a mess - not co-ordinated - look it up

You Chose the runway oK but the whole thing is displaced - with the parking spots in the middle of the runway