Sign in to follow this  
zorro747

TrackIR panning smoothness

12 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Like I said, 30FPs with track IR is poor. 

Agreed. I used TrackIR with a number of different computers, monitors, operating systems,.. and the result was ALWAYS the same. If one locks FPS at 30 the result is really poor in comparison to 60 FPS. It's just unflyable to me. I see from time to time people claiming it's all good at 30 for them - I always wondered, what gives... are their standards just lower, maybe they see differently or something and they're not bothered with the poor performance or they just never saw it at 60 FPS and they think that's as good as it gets? I mean, great for anybody who can enjoy TrackIR at 30 FPS, it's just something that always baffles me.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, CarlosF said:

You said you had a 165Hz monitor, I would suggest you change refresh to 120 on your monitor, then set your vsync within the sim to 1/3, this setting will lock to 40fps, which is quite smooth. Try it, you can always revert back if you dont like it.

Now I have vsync set to 50% of the monitor rate. Will try to reduce to 120Hz and make 33%. 

Intel i9-13900K, GIGABYTE GAMING Z790, GeForce RTX4080, 32GB

On 2/27/2023 at 2:23 PM, zorro747 said:

When I turn my head the movement is smooth but the picture during the movement gets kind a blurry.

Seems obvious but have you turned of that horrid "motion blur" setting?

Add me to the list of Track IR users that can't stomach 30 FPS. I can't tolerate anything below 50 when using it if I'm honest. I try to keep it firmly at 60 but it's not always possible.

• Like 1

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

Try V-sync on, TAA, Frame Generation on. G-Sync on if your monitor supports it.
If still not smooth, try capping your frames in Nvidia Control Panel to just under the rate of your monitor refresh rate.
That works for me with a fairly similar setup. 

• Like 1

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

On 2/27/2023 at 1:31 PM, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Like I said, 30FPs with track IR is poor. 

No it’s not.

• Like 1

Eric 

10 minutes ago, B777ER said:

No it’s not.

disregard.

Edited by Bobsk8

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

There are obviously 1.5m things that this could be, but I would recommend turning off HAGS as something to try.

Are you experience this when your fps are lower than 45? then I'm not surprised, even mouse panning are bad below that number, and at 30 it is horrible.

• Upvote 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

On 2/27/2023 at 10:16 AM, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Don't do this, 30 fps with track IR is awful.

What are your frames set to? Are they locked or unlimited? I believe trackIR runs at 120hz, so ideally you want 120 FPS at all times for it to be super smooth, or derivatives of this down to around 40 fps. IE you want 40 or 60 or 80 or 100 or 120 fps.... etc. You get the idea. G-sync does help a little in this regard, but if you don't have G-Sync, try locking your frames to one of those numbers and see what happens. Also within the track IR software itself, play with the smoothness setting and make sure precision mode is turned off. 

My monitor has a top refresh rate of 240, should I drop it down to 120 and choose 60 frames either with gsync on it off?  I also do notice that using the mouse to pan around is really smooth then when turning on trackIR it's not as fluid. 

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Asus Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 Ram 3600Mhz - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 10

Off screen terrain precaching - turn this to ultra.

The issue you have maybe to do with the scenery around you having to load in as you are turning your head.  If you increase that setting, it will be preloaded making it appear without the jitter as you turn.

It does decrease your FPS a bit though (so you may need to make sacrifices elsewhere), but I think it will fix the problem you are having.

I too find the Performance of TrackIR is not too great below 30 FPS but I now have the Nvidia framerate limiter set in the mid to upper 30s and am getting excellent results.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

On 2/27/2023 at 1:32 PM, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I ate sirloin steak for years, no problem. Then I discovered fillet… 🙂 

Same. Then I discovered the ribeye cap cut.  Tough to find though 

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

31 minutes ago, micstatic said:

Same. Then I discovered the ribeye cap cut.  Tough to find though 

Aldi economy beefburgers is all I get in order to pay for all my flightsimming.  It's a case of priorities.  Simming first and food second 😀

• Like 2

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

For what it's worth, I had really bad stutters with head tracking recently.  Turns out, one of the three red LED lights on the emitter stopped working.   I replaced the emitter and now its buttery smooth.  Make sure that all three lights are emitting red when turned on.

• Like 1