Sign in to follow this  
jdk2

Microsoft's Vista Patch is available....

I used the earlier workaround suggested with the ?nhancer tool.Do I need to do anything before I apply the patch?ThanksJay

Just to clarify for everyone (I'm going to get the hotfix either way):Vista users should get this even if they aren't experiencing OOM errors, correct?

Guest Bob Z

Phil,The 2 performance/stability fixes mentioned in the following thread are also available via the regular Windows Update.[http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=197&topic_id=28462&mesg_id=28462&page=2]As stated, the DXGKRNL module is listed in both the 938194 and 940105 fixes and the 940105 DXGKRNL module has a later date and version than the one in the 938194 fix.It would seem that the 938979 and 938194 fixes should be installed first and then the 940105 OOM fix. Would this be correct?

yes, this fixes a serious flaw in how Vista manages graphics memory that contributes to OOM errors.

do anything? no. get this patch? yes.the earlier fix makes Vista /3G enabled, and then patches FSX to make it /3G enabled. which, by giving FSX more virtual address space, reduces the chance of an OOM error.this Vista patch fixes a serious flaw in how Vista manages graphics memory that contributes to OOM errors.so its a both-and not an either-or.when SP2 comes out with a marked FSX, then the earlier fix to the OS will be required to get the benefit from a marked FSX.

I dont know for sure, since I havent investigated - but yes that makes sense.

Flying with FSXSP1/VistaX64, 4G RAM, I always had OOMs when using my second monitor - Installed this patch - GONE!Somehow we get into the right direction w Vista/FSX ...nemo

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Guest Bob Z

Phil,So far, so good.1. Installed the 2 stability patches from the regular Windows Update plus the 2 others listed.2. Installed the OOM fix.3. Restored the original unmarked FSX.EXE which I had saved.4. Set the increaseuserva from 2560 back to 2048.Tested with the same Tokyo saved flight that I used when testing the increaseuserva fix. It did not blurry out as it had originally.Side note:There are several references to hibernate/sleep in the 2 stability fixes. My PC would fail to go into sleep mode about 30% of the time if I was logged on to Windows. If I was not logged on, it worked fine. I was almost certain it was not the BIOS and was wondering if these patches would fix this problem and they appear to have done so, although the jury is still out. Anyone who was having this problem might want to try it after applying these patches.

2 Questions for all of you:Will Windows Vista SP1 include this and the previous hotfixes? Probably? For sure? Maybe?when is Vista SP1 expected to be out? I haven't been following it.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I was wondering if everyone is having success with these patches.I had ZERO out of memory errors prior to applying these patches.This evening flying, after installing theses patches KB938979, KB938194, and KB940105 I have had continuous stutters and pauses and multiple OOM errors (quite frequent at that).I tried two of these patches this weekend(KB938979 & KB938194) with poor results (stutters and pauses) and against my better judgement reinstalled them along with the OOM fix.After installing KB938979 & KB938194 my hardrives were also constantly turning on and off which they are now again doing.Looks like I'm returning to the weekend statement of "If it ain't broke don't fix it".For the time being I'm removing these patches.