Sign in to follow this  
jdk2

Microsoft's Vista Patch is available....

>I was wondering if everyone is having success with these>patches.>>I had ZERO out of memory errors prior to applying these>patches.>>This evening flying, after installing theses patches KB938979,>KB938194, and KB940105 I have had continuous stutters and>pauses and multiple OOM errors (quite frequent at that).>>I tried two of these patches this weekend(KB938979 & KB938194)>with poor results (stutters and pauses) and against my better>judgement reinstalled them along with the OOM fix.>>After installing KB938979 & KB938194 my hardrives were also>constantly turning on and off which they are now again doing.>>Looks like I'm returning to the weekend statement of "If it>ain't broke don't fix it".>>For the time being I'm removing these patches.>>I haven't experienced any problems since installing KB938979 & KB948194 and in fact now have almost no blurries and my FPS which is set a 20 doesn't fluctuate as much as it use to. I just installed KB940105 a few minutes ago so haven't tried it yet with FSX.Dell XPS 410 E6700 (2.66x2 GHz) /1066 FSB) | 3GB pc2-4200 | 256MB GeForce 8600 GT

System: i7-11700K, ASUS Prime Z590M-PLUS Motherboard, G-Skills Trident Z Series 64 GB DDR4 3200, Corsair RM1000x80 PLUS Gold, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll, GeForce RTX 4070 Super FE, NVIDIA Drivers 546.65, WD Blue NVMe m2  500GB SSD for Windows 10 Home v21H2,  WD Black SN850X 2 TB NVMe m2  for MSFS, Toshiba 2TB HD for data and other games, ViewSonic XG2705-2K  27" 2560x1440 144hz Monitor,  Thrustmaster Airbus flight stick, Logitech M510 wireless Mouse.

Guest in_04

Hi Bob,you should use the marked FSX.EXE too. See was Phil said a couple of posts before:do anything? no. get this patch? yes.the earlier fix makes Vista /3G enabled, and then patches FSX to make it /3G enabled. which, by giving FSX more virtual address space, reduces the chance of an OOM error.this Vista patch fixes a serious flaw in how Vista manages graphics memory that contributes to OOM errors.so its a both-and not an either-or.when SP2 comes out with a marked FSX, then the earlier fix to the OS will be required to get the benefit from a marked FSX.Senior PM, Graphics and TerrainAces Studio, MGSSP2 will have a marked EXE as default!

Strange - I have applied the patch and the dates and version numbers of the files have not changed. Ran the patch again and it stated not required so it has installed.

Guest Bob Z

Thanks Markus. I missed that.

"when SP2 comes out with a marked FSX, then the earlier fix to the OS will be required to get the benefit from a marked FSX."Just to be clear, 1) With today's 940105 MS OOM OS fix should continue to use the patched FSX and Vista changes made in the past?2) When FSX SP2 comes out should we continue to use the patched FSX and leave the Vista memory changes? 3) If so, will a FSX SP2 install overwrite FSX.EXE and require it to be patched again?Thanks.

the 940105 patch to Vista and the /3G procedure are 2 separate things, and both are required to address the OOM issue. On the one side, Vista is eating address space and squeezing the app. On the other side. FSX can use a lot of memory and exceed the address space and thus needs to be marked large address aware.I'll have to ask what setup will do with a mod'ed FSX, but it might have to be restored ( via repair ) before installing SP2.

>Flying with FSXSP1/VistaX64, 4G RAM, Aaah, another Vista64 user. Do you have any problems with peripherals such as GoFlight, Matrox TH2GO, TrackIR etc ?--Bryn

Just a little update on the problems I was experiencing last night with the new updates. Possibly it may help someone else.I uninstalled the updates(KB938979,KB938194,and KB940105). After which I installed KB938194 then rebooted, installed KB938979 rebooted and then installed KB940105 and rebooted.All is now working well. Originally I let windows update install KB938979 and KB938194 along with a few other updates not sure if this was what created the issue.At the moment, all is well and I'm one happy camper. :)

I installed the file (although I didn't have OOM problems, having LOD at medium). But it helped me a LOT because I am now able to use the ingame menu without any problems! Before this fix, when I wanted to save a flight, I often had to wait 10 seconds before I could enter or click anything in the save dialogue box. Typing a name for the saved flight could take ages. And so did returning to the flight. Or if I wanted to change a display option, FS would almost freeze for a minute or so. Sometimes even PAUSING caused FSX to freeze for minutes (after unpausing...) or FSX would even lock up completely! Changing anything in midflight was a problem and I was quicker off (and it was saver too) by quitting FSX altogether, restart, and change the option from the main menu. But yesterday and today, after installing the fix, I have flown various flights and never ever did I have problems with saving anymore, or with changing an option! :)I guess this all had to do with FSX/Vista using too much memory, which didn't leave any room for the menu...? Or something like that... Anyway, I am happy. I even changed LOD from med to high and haven't had an OOM yet.

What is Patch KB948194 and where can it be located? And what is it for? I've search the Microsoft website and the entire internet and cannot find any information regarding it.Kind regards,Wilbert