Sign in to follow this  
ABE

HOURS of DARKNESS

Leave LAX @ 1600 arrive TLV @ 1630 a day later duration 14.2 hrs.Leave TLV @ 0040 arrive LAX @ 0610 same day duration 15.5 hrs.Non-stop.....most likely polar route.How many hours of complete darkness for each trip? And how to calculate?Have fun.Abe

Guest kurtj

Well this is kinda hard to calculate. It all depends on the time of year you travel..as well as asuming all of the time zones are correct in FS which many times there are errors in FS time zones. If you fly in the summer I would say going eastbound there would be about 5 to 6hrs of complete darkness. Going Westbound your flight would be almost the entire trip until the last hour or so and it would be techically dawn when you land in LAX. If you fly in the Winter your flight would be about 10-12hrs of total darkness, and your Westbound flight would be entirly dark until you arrive at LAX and you might notice the sun barely coming up on the horizon.

Thanks, Kurt. That's what I figured also. I just thought that there would be some kind of a simple formula that would do it more accurately. Later on, I am thinking of running it as a flight plan @ 4x or more, noting "the total time of darkness", and multiplying that by the 4X or more factor.Abe