Sign in to follow this  
Danno

General Aviation AI

Is there any development in the works for general aviation AI traffic? Small airports (and many medium) haven't looked so empty since FS2000 when AI traffic hadn't been invented yet. The sim has a few non-descript GA AI models but I almost never see them (Live traffic is on). Even when using off-line traffic and a GA mod, they are scattered very thin and almost never parked. 

FSX was inferior in most ways to MSFS but its AI was MILES ahead. Not only did I have small privately owned Cessnas and Pipers scattered around the ramps of 95% of all airports, I also had the payware helicopter addon that added helos coming and going from many airports. And floatplane traffic too thanks to Holger. 

I am quite happy with MSFS turbofan traffic at major airports but the rest of the world is dead. Hopefully small GA is on someone's radar. Someday. 

• Like 6

For now your best bet into real live GA traffic in MSFS is a combination of PSXT + AIG GA models. You will get good live GA traffic for pistons, turbo props and business jets especially at the major executive and regional airports.

You can also use the Enhanced live traffic tool but it has it limitations which PSXT doesn't.

Edited by adino

Totally agree that GA needs some love by Asobo and even third party help.

By its very nature, GA should be handled differently from airliner traffic because real world GA following VFR routes even when they show up via transponder dont have a destination and thus resulting flight plan to insert into the sim as a typical AI asset.   Solutions like FSLTL that insert real world traffic arent going to help with these flights.  The sim needs to rely on prebuilt flight plans either its internal database or something like AIG for GA where a third party provides a huge assortment of plausible GA flights.  To that end, something like Danno suggests that has AI flightplans for gliders, balloons, helicopters, etc would certainly be popular if a 3rd party were to provide them.  To be incorporated as real AI assets that respond to ATC, they would need flight plans and would probably need some new coding by Asobo to handle VTOL take offs and landing for both heli's and balloons, but other than that it just needs a provider to find a clever way of generating a database for them.  Such a set could also include GA planes doing circuits etc as well.

In the meantimes I've had somewhat decent results with Phantom's GA mod along with FSLTL for airliners.  This taps into the GA flightplans Asobo has maintained from FSX.  From my observations this database is decent but not extensive - some GA fields are well represented, others are not.  Ive also never seen a plane doing circuits either, so I presume there arent any in the set.

One thing that would greatly help is for Asobo to provide independent traffic controls for airliners vs GA... both for traffic AND for statics.  Since GA is less represented, it is nice to up the statics at GA airfields, but as it stands now that ALSO effects larger airports adding unwanted generics at gates etc.  If these could be divided in the UI then we can continue to work with the best solution for each type of traffic while developers continue to provide new tools for each.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

At AIG we are currently investigating how much work a stand alone GA AI Pack would be, or if it can be integrated into AIGTC with random generated traffic.

• Like 12
  • Upvote 5

AIGtechBanner_Kai_AVSIM.png

For FSX there was the freeware GA-Traffic addon:
spacer.png

It had separate settings for club/private/student/taxi etc. and created believable traffic. The virtual landing fees limited the amount of GA traffic on large hubs. One could choose which aircraft and liveries to use.
For FSX there were plenty of AI quality GA aircraft available for free although the better ones were payware.

Hopefully something like this could be made for MSFS. I think it's a great opportunity for FS Traffic to incorporate something like this because there is good competition from freeware when it comes to commercial flights but very little regarding GA.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

11 minutes ago, orchestra_nl said:

For FSX there was the freeware GA-Traffic addon:
spacer.png

It had separate settings for club/private/student/taxi etc. and created believable traffic. The virtual landing fees limited the amount of GA traffic on large hubs. One could choose which aircraft and liveries to use.
For FSX there were plenty of AI quality GA aircraft available for free although the better ones were payware.

Hopefully something like this could be made for MSFS. I think it's a great opportunity for FS Traffic to incorporate something like this because there is good competition from freeware when it comes to commercial flights but very little regarding GA.

Once the AI and ATC issues are sorted (they're getting close with SU12), all one would need is to create a database of airport "types" - international, regional, local, and bush (for example) and then a smart tool like this could probably generate believeable GA traffic.   If offline AI functions are working, this kind of tool only needs to insert the traffic into the sim with a flightplan and the sim does the rest.  Sounds like a great project for an enterprising developer 🙂

• Like 1

Just now, VFXSimmer said:

Once the AI and ATC issues are sorted (they're getting close with SU12), all one would need is to create a database of airport "types" - international, regional, local, and bush (for example) and then a smart tool like this could probably generate believeable GA traffic.   If offline AI functions are working, this kind of tool only needs to insert the traffic into the sim with a flightplan and the sim does the rest.  Sounds like a great project for an enterprising developer 🙂

Most of the work might be creating a set of GA aircraft suitable for AI traffic. There is a great difference in popularity per region so I'd guess we would need the top 5 most popular aircraft per region at least. That's going to be quite a lot of work. Liveries too.

• Like 1

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

6 minutes ago, orchestra_nl said:

Most of the work might be creating a set of GA aircraft suitable for AI traffic. There is a great difference in popularity per region so I'd guess we would need the top 5 most popular aircraft per region at least. That's going to be quite a lot of work. Liveries too.

True, but one doesnt necessarily need to wait for the other.  If there is a scheme of "best fit" you could start with a relatively small number of AI GA models and build from there.  The flightplans could be built with whatever variety and real world accurate plane sets you wish.  If you then include a table that groups planes into similar body types - e.g. high-wing single piston, low-wing single piston, lowwing dual, etc etc and start with a set with at least one of each.  I built something quickly like that on my own with PSXT (I believe its now part of the distribuition files).  This would allow the traffic program to be released sooner and all one would need to do is continue to build out their community folders with new AI planes as they become available to automatically improve variety and accuracy.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I mostly fly GA and working GA-AI is what I miss the most in MSFS, I really hope someone picks up on this, it's about time.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

17 hours ago, VFXSimmer said:

In the meantimes I've had somewhat decent results with Phantom's GA mod along with FSLTL for airliners.  This taps into the GA flightplans Asobo has maintained from FSX.  From my observations this database is decent but not extensive - some GA fields are well represented, others are not.  Ive also never seen a plane doing circuits either, so I presume there arent any in the set.

Been using this for quite a while now and it suits my needs. Caravans, DA40 and 62s etc are seen flying from many airports. I keep my traffic slider st 10-20 depending on what I'm flying. FSLTL ifr slider is set to 20-40 (depending on what I'm flying and how bug the airport is) and the airports feel alive. I also use AIground and AIflow to help with go arounds and runway incursions haha.

I care more about flying but sometimes its nice to watch airport traffic during a sunset.

SU12 is supposed to have some traffic fixes. Hopefully it doesn't break everything

Edited by Sonosusto

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414---FSS E175+P2006T---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C-22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

3 hours ago, Sonosusto said:

Been using this for quite a while now and it suits my needs. Caravans, DA40 and 62s etc are seen flying from many airports. I keep my traffic slider st 10-20 depending on what I'm flying. FSLTL ifr slider is set to 20-40 (depending on what I'm flying and how bug the airport is) and the airports feel alive. I also use AIground and AIflow to help with go arounds and runway incursions haha.

I care more about flying but sometimes its nice to watch airport traffic during a sunset.

SU12 is supposed to have some traffic fixes. Hopefully it doesn't break everything

Where Do I find Phantom's GA MOD.  Would it be possible to post a link.  I did a Google search but it came with many wrong results.  I am a general aviation virtual pilot and most interested in having more realistic GA traffic.

Thanks,

Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike62 said:

Where Do I find Phantom's GA MOD.  Would it be possible to post a link.  I did a Google search but it came with many wrong results.  I am a general aviation virtual pilot and most interested in having more realistic GA traffic.

Thanks,

Mike

This https://flightsim.to/file/38966/ga-stock-aircraft-traffic

I think 

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

7 minutes ago, hanhamreds said:

This has the disadvantage you have to do modifications in the Official folder, that's why I omitted it so far, although I'd love to see it working.

You never know what results from modifications in the Official folder, but there are several people having reported trouble, in the worst case having to redownload the whole sim in case of an update.

Kind regards, Michael 

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

2 hours ago, pmb said:

This has the disadvantage you have to do modifications in the Official folder, that's why I omitted it so far, although I'd love to see it working.

You never know what results from modifications in the Official folder, but there are several people having reported trouble, in the worst case having to redownload the whole sim in case of an update.

Kind regards, Michael 

No trouble at all. In fact, everytime the sim update you have to change it again anyway.

I've been using this GA mod since its release without any problems.

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414---FSS E175+P2006T---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C-22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---