Sign in to follow this  
btacon

Strange sound issue - Some cockpits remain silent

Guest Oromat23

Hey there, I've got a really annoying problem with FSX lately.I can not hear anykind of engine sounds within the virtual or 2D Cockpit of some planes (B737,B747,CRJ700 and Learjet). From the outside, however, those planes behave completely normal and all the sounds are there. Other planes, like the airbus also do work fine, everything is there, also inside the cockpit. I've noticed this issue yesterday and was quite surprised since everything worked fine about one week ago. I already did a fresh reinstall of FSX, but even then, without any addons or modifications the problem remains. Checking the aircraft folders showed, that everything is in there, I can easily play all the sounds with an external player, also the sound.cfg seems allright.Updating the drivers of my X-FI didn't help so far. Hopefully anyone of you might know a solution for this one, its really annoying to fly a plane without the roaring sound of the engines :)

I had the same issue several times.You need to go to your COntrol Panle/Siund options and select the appropriate speaker configuration. For some reason if this configuration gets changed or in some way impacted, it causes this issue. I have mine set to "Desktop Stereo Speakers" and this corrected this same issue.Hope this helps!Sincerely,Dennis D. Mullert

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

System Specs: Motherboard:  Gygabyte Aorus Z390 Master.  CPU: Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900kf Eight-Core 3.6Mhz overclocked to 5Mhz.  Memory:  64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3200MHZ RGB.  GPU: 11GB GeForce RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid.  Monitor: Viotek 34" curved GNV34DBE.  Power Supply: 1000 Watt Power supply. HD 1: 1TB Samsung 9780 EVO Plus NVMe SSD.  HD 2: 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD

Flight Sim Hardware:  Joystick: Thrustmaster T16000M.  Rudder Pedals: Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Pedals.  Yoke: Honeycomb Alpha.  Throttles: Honeycomb Bravo.

Guest Oromat23

Thank you,I just figured out that ATC is also not working anylonger ;)Searching on that topic brought up that it definitely got something to do with the speaker setup, as you already said.This, however, raises my concerns about the problem. Just some time ago I deleted the new creative drivers, ending up in installing the ones that came with my soundcard, right out of the box. The reason I did this was, that so far creative seemed to release drivers with out the appropriate toolbox which was only included in the cd that came with the soundcard.The worst that could happen to me know to fix this problem might be a clean install of the audio drivers on my system.But hey, now I know what's causing the problem :)/E: ####, reinstalling didn't work either. It seems adjusting the speaker settings has no effect at all. Puh, hate this ^^

Guest Oromat23

Figured it out! :)Allright, I did a little search on this one. The answer was in the Simflight.com FAQ. Some of the standard windows audio codecs were missing. Reinstalling them solved the problem. ATC is there now, engine sounds are back. Very nice!

...it would help fill out the "Problem/Cause/Solution" picture.Thanks,bt

Guest Oromat23

Like this?Problem: No ATC voices in FSX, several other sounds missing or not playing ingame (e.g. engine sound and other ambient sound files).Cause: Either one or more of the standard windows audio codecs might be missing or corrupted. Solution: Check or reinstall standard windows audio codecs."For Win9x users: go to control panel / multimedia / devices tab / audio compression codec and check that the following are installed: MS IMA ADPCM CODEC, MS ADPCM CODEC and MS PCM Converter. If they are installed select properties for each of them and check that "Use this audio codec" is checked. If they are not installed go to control panel / add/remove programs / windows setup / multimedia / detail button and select audio compression.For Windows XP users: open device manager, go to sound, video and game controllers, audio compression codecs, properties tab and check that the codec listed above are installed. If they are select properties for each one and check "Use this audio codec". If one or more codec are missing repair Windows XP using the CD. " - excerpt from the simflight.com FAQAnd if one or more of the codecs are missing, reinstall them according to the instructions given here:http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/08/15/h...odecs-manually/Hopefully it might help others :)

Thanks...FWIW, I knew how to find the link, but like you said, perhaps others did not.Documentation can never be "too complete"Cheers,bt