Sign in to follow this  
TravelRunner404

7950x3D shaping up to demolish the 13900k in MSFS

First reviews are out and it looks like MSFS is once again more cache hungry than Mhz hungry.  It seems a lot of reviewers are starting neglect MSFS as a benchmark game but Eurogamer.net and TomsHardware whose previous results seem to be most in line with what people were seeing in real everyday MSFS use have tested again.

https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry-2023-amd-ryzen-9-7950x3d-review?page=2

They took some of their old reviews offline and rightfully so because they were using test results over a year old and the sim performance has changed since then.  Although, CPU usage is arguably unimproved.  Either way, they mention that MSFS got 99 FPS in their TBM flight over London and for reference the 13900K got 72.  That's a 38% performance increase, which is insane.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-9-7950x3d-cpu-review/6

Tom's Hardware showed similar results.  They describe the result as 'nearly unbelievable'.  They saw a 53% increase over the 7950x base and basically the same improvement of 43% over the 13900k at stock.  They are showing a 45 FPS improvement over the 13900ks at 6ghz.  That's crazy but people with 5800x3D have been posting equal performance with the 13900k in forums, but the MHZ myth of flght sim doesn't die easy.

I have no doubt MSFS will still have weird large stutters when approaching airports and TLOD pop in isn't going anywhere, but once again AMD and it's cache is proving to be king.  

• Like 11

Wow that’s incredible, looks like I’m about to buy my first ever AMD processor.

• Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

2 minutes ago, regis9 said:

Wow that’s incredible, looks like I’m about to buy my first ever AMD processor.

You may want to look this since you’re running in 4k:

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

I use 4k only. (not even benchmarked)
Difference is very small with 4K (MSF2020)
I am very happy with my smooth performance I have now.

• Like 2

MSI Tomahawk Z790, I7-13700K, DDR5 6000mhz, MSI 4090, 3x SSD 980 PRO, Corsair 360 Liguid CPU cooler, Corsair H1200V2 power.

Most probably more GPU bound in this scenario. I expect the X3D to only increase its lead with more graphics cards.

• Like 2

Nice. Now @Ianrivaldosmith can say thank you to avsim convincing him to go for an AM5 platform instead an Intel one 😉 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

The 1% lows look significantly better than the 13900k even at 4K. That could be quite helpful with minimizing stutters.

Also, the 7950x3d uses considerably less power than the 13900k and heats up less. So many people have had serious issues cooling the 13900k especially with the CPU installation flex issue and subsequently can loose performance due to thermal throttling.

I would agree that it is likely more GPU bound at 4k even in MSFS so it is probably more future proof in regards to next gen GPUs. It would also be interesting to compare it with an RTX 4080 to see what the difference is in 4K when compared with an RTX 4090 to observe how GPU bound it is.

With all that in mind it boils down to value and how much it is worth paying quite a bit more for not much difference.

Edited by steve310002
  • Like 3

I would buy that CPU if AMD had remained true to their word and not have us upgrade to a new socket already. I bought my AM4 board because AMD promised coming generations of their CPU's would still be compatible with it. Not like Intel were every CPU generation upgrade meant that you need to exchangethe Mainboard as well.

But my AM4 mainboard is just 3 years old. There is no way I'm buying a new one already.

2 minutes ago, Farlis said:

I would buy that CPU if AMD had remained true to their word and not have us upgrade to a new socket already. I bought my AM4 board because AMD promised coming generations of their CPU's would still be compatible with it.

Take a step back and look at the release date of AM4. Now look at how many different generations it supported. 

• Like 10
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Farlis said:

But my AM4 mainboard is just 3 years old. There is no way I'm buying a new one already.

AM4 lastet for how many generations? You are now seriously complaining about AMD finally switching to a new socket? 

And I am pretty word not allowed sure that AMD never promised on release of the Ryzen 5xxx series that the next CPU generation will still work on AM4. They maybe said that after release of Ryzen 1xxx, 2xxx and 3xxx. Which was totally true in retrospective. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

1 minute ago, Greggy_D said:

Take a step back and look at the release date of AM4. Now look at how many different generations it supported. 

Hm... I hadn't considered that it was around for so long. I thought it was a recent socket generation.

Then I guess I just made the switch at the wrong moment, going from Intel to AMD just the very moment when the final CPU generation for their current socket was released.

At least I can still upgrade to the 5800X3D without switching mainboards.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Never goeing to a AMD again, years ago i had so much trouble and problems with a AMD that burned me that much so i will never go back to this processor.

Maybe it`s better today but burned is burned..😏

cheers 😉

• Like 2

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

29 minutes ago, SierraDelta said:

You may want to look this since you’re running in 4k:

I think the question is whether this reviewer actually got themselves into a CPU bound situation at 4k.  Something everyday flight simmers do quite a bit with our Fenix, add-on airports, TLODs over 200, and landing at iniscene airports like KLAX.

The problems of giant fluctuations will remain.  If you aren't pushing TLOD and AI limits the sim does well and you don't need the latest tech, but I don't  know anyone who is sitting at KLGA in the FENIX and getting 88 FPS with AI Traffic. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Farlis said:

going from Intel to AMD just the very moment when the final CPU generation for their current socket was released.

If your board is 3 years old, I suspect you have a 3000 series CPU, which was the second to last generation AM4 supported.  The 5000 series is the last generation AM4 supports. 

Edit: Having said all of that, going to a 5800x3D is a wise move. You’ll get years more service out of your platform. 

Edited by Greggy_D
  • Upvote 1

As far as I can tell I’m CPU bound with my 4080 in most scenarios, particularly busy airports/big cities/complex airliners.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU