Sign in to follow this  
TravelRunner404

7950x3D shaping up to demolish the 13900k in MSFS

I am typically CPU-bound running at 4K with my 13900K and 4090, BUT… with frame generation I’m usually getting 90-130 fps. There’s no more performance worth chasing. I have finally achieved sim nirvana and it feels amazing.

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

Just now, regis9 said:

As far as I can tell I’m CPU bound with my 4080 in most scenarios, particularly busy airports/big cities/complex airliners.

Yeah, it should be noted how frustrating it is that the 7950x3D is basically $600+ USD to get acceptable performance during taxi, take off and landing.  Granted those are the most important and exciting parts of flight sim for a lot of us, but really? It's been 20 years and that hasn't' been sorted.

I think this will help in VR with Motion Reprojection.  In the end if you can get away from being CPU limited which is hard with AI and airports the sim is smooth at 40 FPS, but no matter the processor it seems the CPU spikes are the limiting factor.  Not sure how much this will help even with 40% more horsepower.  I don't see it not stuttering when crossing that threshold of 1000 feet AGL into a large airport.

But, I do think it will be unequivocally the fastest processor for MSFS, I just think the limitations of the game are the problem at this point.

8 minutes ago, Greggy_D said:

I suspect you have a 3000 series CPU

Correct.  Ryzen 7 3700X

3 minutes ago, kiwikat said:

I am typically CPU-bound running at 4K with my 13900K and 4090, BUT… with frame generation I’m usually getting 90-130 fps. There’s no more performance worth chasing. I have finally achieved sim nirvana and it feels amazing.

ahh... I so wish I could say that ("sim nirvana") about my VR performance. VR is just so much demanding on the hardware.

I had been waiting for this day to decide between 7950x3D and 13900K. Glad that I waited. 

• Like 1

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

21 minutes ago, TravelRunner404 said:

Yeah, it should be noted how frustrating it is that the 7950x3D is basically $600+ USD to get acceptable performance during taxi, take off and landing.  Granted those are the most important and exciting parts of flight sim for a lot of us, but really? It's been 20 years and that hasn't' been sorted.

I think this will help in VR with Motion Reprojection.  In the end if you can get away from being CPU limited which is hard with AI and airports the sim is smooth at 40 FPS, but no matter the processor it seems the CPU spikes are the limiting factor.  Not sure how much this will help even with 40% more horsepower.  I don't see it not stuttering when crossing that threshold of 1000 feet AGL into a large airport.

But, I do think it will be unequivocally the fastest processor for MSFS, I just think the limitations of the game are the problem at this point.

IMO flight simmers will be better off waiting for the 7800X3d. I reckon that my system will be ok for another couple of year, when I'll be planning on getting a system with something that should have another generation of hardware in it, maybe something like an 8800X3d and a 5090 GPU will be a beast.

Edited by Amon1973
  • Like 2

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

1 hour ago, AnkH said:

Nice. Now @Ianrivaldosmith can say thank you to avsim convincing him to go for an AM5 platform instead an Intel one 😉 

Yes I was not going dead end 13900K. I feel sorry for those that did. Now I have reached Nirvana myself with the 7950X almost always above 100FPS and smooth with a 4090. The thing is, I am waiting for a decent VR headset to come out, and when one does, I am set to jump and get a 7950X3D which should help a lot 🙂 Glad I went AM5 now! However in the meantime, I can not see the point (yet!) In switching this 7950X for the 3D version.... 

Just now, Ianrivaldosmith said:

The thing is, I am waiting for a decent VR headset to come out

Waiting? The Varjo Aero is beyond decent.  It already brings the 4090 to it's knees.  It's got the highest resolution on the market.  The Pimax Crystal will potentially match the resolution but you have all the downsides of Pimax where as the Varjo has a full year of teething.  Crystal will have no FOV improvements.  The Pimax 12k is generally accepted as not coming anytime soon.  However, since Pimax Crystal is more or less  equal specs, waiting for the reviews before deciding is probably smart.

• Like 1

On a budget the 5800x3D is still excellent for MSFS as well. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

4 hours ago, TravelRunner404 said:

frustrating it is that the 7950x3D is basically $600+ USD

rather $ 800 incl. tax

AMD-Ryzen-7000-X3D-3D-V-Cache-CPUs-Ryzen

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

1 hour ago, kiwikat said:

That's great to hear!

My only concern is that with PC hardware reaching such high FPS, content creators will look at that as available headroom, even though this very latest gen hardware (including DLSS frame generation) is at least two years away from becoming commonplace.
We already have a lot of 8K textures appearing and ever-increasing amounts of detail on objects, as well as more objects (e.g. Aerosoft's new EDDB v2 has a ton of airside and landside vehicle traffic with no density control option).

Anyway, those of you going for one of these three Ryzen 7000X3D-series CPUs and pairing it with a RTX 4090, is going to have a blast!

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

screenshot2023-02-27ascdjw.png

screenshot2023-02-27a32c8j.png

ryzen7950x3d-fs2020-12rfsk.png

and why did they rename it "Flight Simulator 2021" 😀 I'd rather call it Flight simulator "In the year 2525"

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

Very excited for this CPU to start shipping in quantity. I built a new system last October and went with a 7700X specifically so that I could upgrade to one of the X3D CPUs when they started shipping.

These first benchmarks being posted are very encouraging. I suspect I'll have a slightly used 7700X for sale in the near future.

Edited by Malaromane
typos and grammar
  • Like 1

@turbomax it is possible that the 7800X3D will perform just as well in MSFS as the more expensive 7900X3D and 7950X3D.

It's going to make April a very interesting month (that's when the 7800X3D releases).

• Like 3

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Well .. yep looks like AMD came through again with MSFS with the X3D parts .. Now I'm wondering if i should move to 4K or not when i build my next rig. (Really like my curved ultrawide) 

I think probably in a few months time ill pull the trigger. Still good with the current rig locked at 50fps but really happy there is a clear upgrade path CPU/platform wise with no guessing. Now its a matter of picking the parts and watching the prices.

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

intel just got smashed in MSFS, glad I stuck w AMD since AM4 and now will upgrade to probs the 7900x3d (will have similar benchmarks)

7900x3d , 64gb 6200mhz 30CL Ram, RTX 3080