Sign in to follow this  
Coldste

Will a new cpu fix my limited by main thread?

Right so my PC is really struggling to maintain a decent frame rate, sometimes it’s 30FPS which I’m very happy with, but in some areas of the sim like at the big airports like O’hare, JFK and Heathrow the sim is dropping to like 20-25FPS or lower sometimes, then other times it can fly (no pun intend) to like 40FPS in some areas that are AI generated I noticed that when I was flying out of one of Pakistan’s airports, but otherwise it’s normally 30FPS. I used the Nvidia GeForce experience to optimise the sim and fly on medium settings. I’ve asked on the sims official forums but some people are saying get a better graphics card but others say get a new CPU, I don’t know much about PC’s, only a rough outline of what the parts do, like the CPU being the PC’s “brain” so to speak. So could anyone advise what I should do in simple terms.  The graphics card is up to date. I game on a 4k tv but I’m not bothered if I don’t or can’t get hundreds of frames a second if that helps. 

My specs are the following: 

CPU is 11th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i7-11700K 3.60GH
Graphics card NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
Ram 16GB speed 3001MHz

03fa8172e6dc81ae1d4dbcc6773628207f47a705

2b194294ea4ed5261da8f8bddfaeda8b2e9c9258

Apparently you need to turn down some settings (TLOD for example) or turn up your CPU power. Realize though, that unless you limit your frame rates, your always going to be either GPU or Main Thread limited. 

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

1 hour ago, odourboy said:

Apparently you need to turn down some settings (TLOD for example) or turn up your CPU power. Realize though, that unless you limit your frame rates, your always going to be either GPU or Main Thread limited. 

Ok thanks for that, tired running it on the bear minimal of settings and it’s still the same results. Hypothetically if I did plan on replacing the CPU (I know I’d need a new motherboard probably) would that increase the frame rates?

That still depends on the settings you choose and the resolution you want to run at. That said, single threaded cpu performance is IMHO, the most important performance limiter.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)