Sign in to follow this  
David_CSA

Airliners - Can you read PFD? How do you fly?

I have perhaps a very basic question:

Are you using the default cockpit view when flying airliners? And can you read the PFD?

I fly in 1440p on a 32 inch panel. I  I have always used predominantly the default cockpit view for flying. In the old days of DF737 and LVD767 I could easily read all instruments incl. PFD. They were artificially made bigger due to low res. These days all is realistic. That means that when sitting in default view the PFD is relatively small and the speed tape or the altitude tape are sometimes difficult to read.

Yes, I do have hotas with various views mapped on various buttons. I have also keyboard hotkeys to move the eyepoint and to zoom in and out. (I do not use a mouse for looking inside the cockpit and zooming as panning is done via joystick hat switch.)

But I miss the ease of just sitting in the cockpit and seeing all primary info and a bit of outside world at once.

How do YOU do it? What view do you use to fly heavies? And what do you do to read the glass cockpit?

Intel i7-10700K OC 5.0 GHz | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB OC 2145 MHz | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming | AiO cooler Corsair H115i Pro XT 2x140 mm | Corsair RM850x 850W Gold | Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow | Monitor 32" LG UltraGear 32GK850G G-Sync 1440p

I  had the same visual setup as you, 1440p, 32” and I made out ok.  Granted I had laser eye surgery years ago and am lucky to have 20/20 vision today still, plus I sat pretty close to the monitor.

Since moving to a 4k,  55” display everything is very easy to see.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

24 inch 1080p display. I can read them with no issues, but I find I have to leave my eyepoint a bit more forward than expected.

With Fénix it happens to me sometimes, but in the FSL A320 for P3D is where I have to do this more often.

Edited by Luis Hernandez

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

I use a 1440P ultra wide screen and also use TrackIR so all I have to do is lean forward a little if I need a closer look at a control, panel or screen in the cockpit. Very similar to real life if you were sitting in your car and wanted a closer look at something on the dash panel, where you would just lean in a little. 

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D & Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master MB, w/32 Gb GSkill DDR5 RAM, MSI 4090 GPU, lots of SSD's and M.2 drives, Fractal Torrent Case, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, Virpil Constellation Alpha Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Yoke Boeing Edition and MFG Rudder pedals. Currently on Win11

24" monitor, I am in my 80's and can read the PFD just fine in the PMDG 737. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I make a set of custom views and just switch to those if I need a close-up.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

1440p on 27" and absoluetly no issues to read the PFDs even using default viewpoints. For some things like EFB tablet and FMC I use specific views that zoom in nevertheless.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

I have trouble reading the PFDs, but then I also have trouble reading books if they aren't the right distance from my face. Getting old sucks. 😉 There's an auto-zoom function that works pretty well. Just point the mouse where you want to zoom and trigger it, then everything's very readable.

There's also an option to pop out a screen into a tab if you find it hard to read one of them. I'm not sure the way to do it now because I'm not in front of the screen but I think it's Point and Click at the PFD whilst holding Shift (maybe??). Once you do this you will get a perfectly clear digital version of the PFD that you can move to the corner of your screen for easy reading.

I just use the default view myself and I use the roll wheel on the mouse if I need to zoom for anything but I'm in 1440p and generally can see the PFD clearly. I normally zoom into the MCDU from the pilot seat with the scroll wheel also.

B450 Tomahawk Max / Ryzen 7 5800x3D / RTX 3060ti 8G / Noctua NH-UI21S Max Cooling / 32G Patriot RAM / 1TB NVME / 450G SSD / Thrustmaster TCA & Throttle Quadrant / Xiaomi 32" Wide Curved Monitor 1440p 144hz

9 hours ago, David_CSA said:

But I miss the ease of just sitting in the cockpit and seeing all primary info and a bit of outside world at once.

Getting  4K 55" TV for MSFS solved this issue for me.

Edited by RALF9636

The cockpit views almost always need adjusting to get something that feels correct. Whether that be seating position or zoom or both. Something is noramlly off. The most obvious example of this I have found is the Fenix A320. I bought this over a month ago and still have not actually flown it yet but I have loaded it up a few times and the view by default is way too zoomed out which makes looking around with TrackIR nauseating and makes things difficult to read. When I do get around to spending some time in that plane I will be adjusting the zoom immediately. The seating positon looks alright but the zoom is way wrong.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

11 hours ago, David_CSA said:

? And what do you do to read the glass cockpit?

I don't fly airliners but when I can't read a glass cockpit panel or Garmin I Right-ALT click on it and it opens rescalable window

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I went form a basic 43 inch 4K TV which was OK to a 55 inch Sony X90K. I thought at first a 55 TV would be too big but I quickly got used to it and now I don't think I could go back to anything smaller. I sit around 3 feet away. The cockpit looks very realistic and all the displays are crystal clear. I have different views mapped to my flight controls and my Streamdeck XL

I chose the Sony as I already have a 65 X90J and did a few tests to see how motion is handled. Sony's have very good picture processing and running the sim in HDR is a sight to behold. Modern 4K TV's have some impressive gaming features these days and really do add immersion to our hobby. 

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png