Sign in to follow this  
David_CSA

Airliners - Can you read PFD? How do you fly?

I have a TrackIR and lean forward to read items on the PFD, like the altitude hold level on the CRJ that seems so small. 

The suggestions of using TrackIR to move closer to see clearly are all well and good but as a long-time TrackIR user and one that refuses to fly without it I'm afraid to say that advice does you no good at all when scanning during an approach. One still needs a reasonable FOV so one can scan with eyes with minimal head movement. Easily achieved but a point worth mentioning I think.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

8 hours ago, MattNischan said:

This is already the case. The pixel resolution of the displays matches their real life counterparts.

Gotta disagree with Robert here. I stare at avionics YouTube videos every day and rarely are they something I would call "clear" or "readable" (my life would be so much easier if they were). This is just a simple case of not having sufficient pixels in the view. In a 1080p screen at a normal seating position you might only have 400px or less of screen.

Of course, you can still set your view like the old FS 2D panel views and smash your virtual face up against the screens with a sliver of windscreen at the top, and then I think you'll find they're just as clear as the old days. 😉

Hi Matt,

I meant the hi-res views you occasionally get of PFDs/MFDs on very good quality filming of real flights. But I also meant the image you get sitting in a G1000/3000 equipped aircraft. I'm always stunned by the immense clarity of the speed tapes, Altitudes and other relevant info. It is true that if you are in TAA mode in MSFS and you zoom in sufficiently you can get reasonably close to crispness, but the image quickly degrades when panning away or zooming out a bit. Of course you can't blame it on MSFS alone as it is the monitor quality. I have to set up zoomed in quick views of my displays while I set up routes and altitudes to get decent clarity - and I also find tweaking with Reshade and Nvidia filters can help to eliminate blur or over-sharpening which are both equally disruptive to display clarity.

BTW this is not a criticism of Wt's work on your G1000 etc. Your team has done a fantastic job. The worst culprit is the Aerosoft CRJ which emulates an already very poor Collins PFD where the altitude readout is absolutely tiny and Aerosoft didn't apply their intelligence to make it larger even if it is not strictly "accurate". It is almost impossible to adjust the altitude with the ALT knob and focus on the readout at the same time.

Edited by robert young

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Thank you all for your inspirational replies. There are certainly several ideas among them which I tried or will try.

Having the need not only to read easily e.g. the altitude tape in FBW A320 but also to access any instrument view at any moment I guess I will go in the direction of setting up custom views and combine this with getting the Streamdeck.

Thank you again!

Intel i7-10700K OC 5.0 GHz | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB OC 2145 MHz | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming | AiO cooler Corsair H115i Pro XT 2x140 mm | Corsair RM850x 850W Gold | Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow | Monitor 32" LG UltraGear 32GK850G G-Sync 1440p