Sign in to follow this  
Guest hockey10

Science Project Ideas . . . Anyone?

Guest hockey10

OK - it's science project time again . . . . My 16 year old wants to do something with planes and/or aerodymanics this year. Since he also enjoys flight simulation, we were trying to come up with a worthwhile project that involved FS9 rather than the real-world. Since many of the available 3rd party arcraft have such realistic flight models, it seems that FS9 could be used for testing rather than having to go out and buy an airplane . . . He thought that FS9 could be the 1st step in testing since it is a computer model after all. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.Thanks -hockey10

Guest CowlFlapsOpen

fun! It is a real challenge with Fs9, since mostr things one might test are not the real physics but simply computer code that simulates the effects of physics. But one thing he could do might be something to do with stalling and angle of attack. Even seasoned pilots are sometimes confused about how accelerated stalls occur and why a plane stalls well above above stall speed, how stall relates to wing loading, etc. The first few chapters of the classic book, Stick and Rudder, are great read. just a top-of-the-head idea. Or maybe something on density altitude and climb rate.

Guest CowlFlapsOpen

One further thoight: Check out the thread I started on VOR navigation called "A pop quiz:.." It is in this forum. It lead to quite a dicussion, and there is a potential project in that perhaps.

Here is one to work out. Is lift generated more from Newtons princpals or Bernoullis?

>Here is one to work out. Is lift generated more from Newtons>princpals or Bernoullis?LOL :-lol Funny thing is university professors still argue and fight on that issue.Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

>OK - it's science project time again . . . . My 16 year old>wants to do something with planes and/or aerodymanics this>year. Since he also enjoys flight simulation, we were trying>to come up with a worthwhile project that involved FS9 rather>than the real-world. Since many of the available 3rd party>arcraft have such realistic flight models, it seems that FS9>could be used for testing rather than having to go out and buy>an airplane . . . He thought that FS9 could be the 1st step in>testing since it is a computer model after all. Any>suggestions would be most appreciated.>>Thanks ->hockey10 Hi Hockey.If the bulk of the project relies on testing, my advice is to try X-Plane. It is perfect for testing. In other PC flight simulators, one has to manually change every aerodynamic coefficients to modify the flight dynamics of a given aircraft.X-Plane on the other side, provides a sub-program (called Plane Maker) that lets you directly modify aircraft geometry, i.e. you specify wing position, tail geometry, control surfaces deflections etc, and it automatically figures out how the airplane should fly, then you can test how it actually flies in the main program (X-Plane).Instead of starting from scratch, it is easier to begin by modifying an existing aircraft and make tests on it.It is very accurate and is used by real world aviation companies.The cost of X-Plane v8 (+ hi-resolution scenery for USA) is 49$.But you can try the demo, that has a 6 minute limit for flying (but unlimited time for Plane Maker, I think).Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Aerodynamic Projects...Principals Surrounding the Flying Wing (B2 Spirit style)Wind Shear (Problems and Avoidance)Hurricane Hunting (Flying in the storms) Glider Flight (Thermals/conserving energy)Other Projects...Safety related (Runway/ground traffic avoidance)Radar (how it works, transponders etc.) A380 / 787 (New airplane tech)As others have mentioned, using FS9 as a scientific base may be difficult, as it's not that precise... but you can indeed use FS9 as a tool to generate illustrations and airplane images for the presentation.Do kids still have to create the big display board with the project all over it? I remember vividly being in the basement of my house rubber cementing bunches of C64 generated "Print Shop" signs all over the 3-folded cardboard display the night before it was due. Aaah, the 80's. :) -Greg

Guest RiddlePilot

I second the windshear project. It is VERY easy to describe and VERY easy to give visual support. Might even be able to throw in sound clips or animations from the NTSB on the numerous accidents or incidents caused by windshear.

Guest hockey10

I should have thought about posting that question sooner !! You guys are coming up with some great ideas. Yes Greg - Science Fairs still require the three folded display board and yes - kids still wait until the night before to finish them like we did! Some things haven't changed. LOLLast year his project was one of seven selected from his school for the Jr. Academy of Science. No display board. You give your presentation in front of the judges using slides, overheads, or a PowerPoint presentation (you have to bring your own computer and projector though). The focus is on the subject matter and the presentation by the student . . . . .Please keep the ideas coming - since his teacher has final approval, he may have to submit several different proposals for consideration. We really appreciate your input.Thanks -hockey1010