Sign in to follow this  
maxymaxy

Losing Patience with FSX

Guest stpierce

I have done everything I know of to get smooth performance with FSX and Vista, so I need some new/different perspectives. My system consists of an EVGA 680i mainboard, EVGA 8800GTX, 2gig Corsair memory, Core2 Duo 6600 @ 3.2Ghz and a 140gig ATA hard drive. I am also using the new digital Triplehead2go adapter with 3 Samsung LCD's. Resolution is 3840 X 1024. I am getting 25 - 60 fps (fluctuating)while flying, but I have small jerks/pauses that get worse while turning/banking. This does not seem to be a framerate problem. Is there a way to see if my hard drive or main memory is falling too far behind causing this? What do you think? Any help appreciated. Steve

If you're only getting 25-60, try locking lower than the lowest you get....so lock at 21-24 and see if the micro stutters go away

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest stpierce

>>If you're only getting 25-60, try locking lower than the>>lowest you get....>>>>Only?! :-lol I have tried all of that with no changes. Do you think my system is waiting on the hard drive?

do the following:http://www.windowsnetworking.com/nt/registry/rtips71.shtml"Windows NT NTFS volumes store a last access timestamp for every file and directory. The NTFS driver automatically updates this timestamp every time a file is accessed, whether for reading or writing."The article contains the fix. Makes perfect sense to me, and I'm sure it can't hurt.My point, perhaps you can do the same in Vista?bt

Guest stpierce

>do the following:>>http://www.windowsnetworking.com/nt/registry/rtips71.shtml>>"Windows NT NTFS volumes store a last access timestamp for>every file and directory. The NTFS driver automatically>updates this timestamp every time a file is accessed, whether>for reading or writing.">>The article contains the fix. Makes perfect sense to me, and>I'm sure it can't hurt.>>My point, perhaps you can do the same in Vista?>>btYeah, I remember doing this in XP. I could run FSX, VoxATC and GoFlight software in XP with very smooth results. I may go back.

Guest Pilot533

Disableing aa on my older 7950gt helped me when I was having the exact issue you descirbe. I know its not a great solution because aa is very important, but just try and see if that at least helps, then we can better isolate the cause of the stuttering.

Guest dg

Steve,Go to your FSX Display Settings and under the Scenery Tab change Texture Resolution to 2m. That should solve the micro stutters when turning/banking.David

I'm with Mike on this one. On all three computers that I have run FSX upon, AA has caused stutters while turning or panning, especially with lots of clouds around. Options are to either:- turn AA off (yuck!), - turn down AA if you are overiding FSX with high AA levels, - use the frame rate limiter (which lops about 33-50% off the FPS you would otherwise achieve, so no good IMO), or - just put up with it like I do and consider it a "feature" :-lolGaryPS. And no, it is very likely not your hard drive. FSX is fed fast enough in flight by even the slowest hard drive that I have used (5400RPM). Check your HDD light as you are turning and see if the stutters exactly correspond with the flashing light - some may but the majority won't.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

I have the same issue of micro-stutters with FSX. My fix has been to turn off autogen. This is not as bad as it sounds. With really good photo-realistic scenery (Horizon) I get almost perfect realism at altitudes of greater than 1500 feet. But there are still so many bugs in FSX, sometimes it is all too easy to become discouraged. Am I deranged, or is there no course selection knob in the 747 2D panel? And I'm still have problems with FSX suddenly not responding to keyboard inputs. Cheers,Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

>Have you tried it minus the 3H2Go?Yes, that's the first thing to try. My bet would be on the GPU driver as well.I assume you run water on 2xLow and bloom/ground shadow off with this huge resolution ?Just a further test - disable all traffic.Heiko

Ask yourself. DO I REALLY NEED VISTA?If the answer is No? Go back to 'XP' and realise that Vista just dosen't like games.

Dave Taylor gb.png

>I have done everything I know of to get smooth performance>with FSX and Vista, so I need some new/different perspectives.>My system consists of an EVGA 680i mainboard, EVGA 8800GTX,>2gig Corsair memory, Core2 Duo 6600 @ 3.2Ghz and a 140gig ATA>hard drive. I am also using the new digital Triplehead2go>adapter with 3 Samsung LCD's. Resolution is 3840 X 1024. I am>getting 25 - 60 fps (fluctuating)while flying, but I have>small jerks/pauses that get worse while turning/banking. This>does not seem to be a framerate problem. Is there a way to see>if my hard drive or main memory is falling too far behind>causing this? What do you think? Any help appreciated. >>SteveIs your ATA drive running out of free space?Replace your FSX hard drive with a SATA drive!I have smooth performance with my humble setup and run unlimited.WXP(sp2)|Dx9.0c|AMD FX-62|Gigabyte 7950GX2 v158.27|OCZ 700W|Foxconn C51XEM2AA|Zalman CNPS9500|2 gig Corsair XMS2 6400|Gigabyte 3D Arura Case|Plextor 716AL|Audigy2|Maxtor 60 & Seagate 250 Sata|Viewsonic 19"|Thrustmaster Cougar, Elite Rudders