Sign in to follow this  
SeattlePilot

Ready to make my TV purchase for MSFS2020

Hello all,

I received the first two pieces of the flight sim that I'm putting together the other day (Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo Yoke and Throttle Quadrant).  My triple TV/monitor stand will be arriving tomorrow from Next Level Racing.  Now it's time to purchase the 3 - 55" TV's.  I think I have it narrowed down to potentially the 'Samsung - 55" Class 7 Series LED 4K UHD Smart Tizen TV' which is model number: UN55TU7000FXZA. Price is great and reviews seem solid!

Here are a few of the specifics; 60hz, motion rate 120, has gaming mode, and is obviously 4k (I plan on running 1080). It only has 2 HDMI ports, is this ok? This flight sim stuff is pretty new to me, so probably asking some silly questions here.  Here's a link to it, if anyone has a chance to glance thru it, I'd greatly appreciate it!   https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-55-class-7-series-led-4k-uhd-smart-tizen-tv/6401735.p?skuId=6401735#tabbed-customerreviews

I may buy rudder pedals here pretty quick, then will take a month or two to save up for the computer and a few other items (I know that the computer will be the spendy part).

Thanks for any feedback!!

10 minutes ago, SeattlePilot said:

60hz, motion rate 120

That is my opinion is the most important thing for Flight Sim unless you intend to go with a 4000 series GPU. You will be able to set up that TV to receive a 30hz signal but display 60fps on screen because the TV is able to interpolate an extra frame between each of the frames it receives from the GPU. It's basically the same as DLSS frame generation.

8 hours ago, SeattlePilot said:

It only has 2 HDMI ports, is this ok?

Does it have DisplayPort? Most current GPUs have one HDMI port and three DisplyPort outputs. If you're going with a triple monitor, it seems HDMI connectivity is kind of irrelevant,  no?

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

11 hours ago, odourboy said:

Does it have DisplayPort? Most current GPUs have one HDMI port and three DisplyPort outputs. If you're going with a triple monitor, it seems HDMI connectivity is kind of irrelevant,  no?

I have no idea. This is all new to me. 

19 hours ago, FBW737 said:

That is my opinion is the most important thing for Flight Sim unless you intend to go with a 4000 series GPU. You will be able to set up that TV to receive a 30hz signal but display 60fps on screen because the TV is able to interpolate an extra frame between each of the frames it receives from the GPU. It's basically the same as DLSS frame generation.

So in your opinion, this (60hz) tv (actually 3 - TV’s 60hz) should work ok?

Edited by SeattlePilot

1 hour ago, SeattlePilot said:

So in your opinion, this (60hz) tv (actually 3 - TV’s 60hz) should work ok?

I've never done a triple display set up. My 3090 has 2 HDMI ports and 3 Display port so you can only connect 2 display with HDMI cables, Hoever I am sure you can get a display port to HDMI cable. I'd be inclined to get 3 of those cables and use the three display ports on the GPU. You'll only be using one HDMI port on each of the TV's.

I think your biggest problem is running MSFS at 4K on 3 monitor. It better be a beast of a system your building. The only issues I can think of from my experience is that when I tried a Display Port to HDMI cable on my single 55" Samsung NU6900 I could get the frame generation to work. Can say for sure but that's my recollection.

The TV's Frame generation I think would be very useful for you on your 3 screen setup because if you can get it to work and get even 24fps to each TV out of the GPU you''l be able to get a smooth 46fps on each of those screen.

By the way, I don't know what I'm talking about.🤪

2 hours ago, FBW737 said:

I've never done a triple display set up. My 3090 has 2 HDMI ports and 3 Display port so you can only connect 2 display with HDMI cables, Hoever I am sure you can get a display port to HDMI cable. I'd be inclined to get 3 of those cables and use the three display ports on the GPU. You'll only be using one HDMI port on each of the TV's.

I think your biggest problem is running MSFS at 4K on 3 monitor. It better be a beast of a system your building. The only issues I can think of from my experience is that when I tried a Display Port to HDMI cable on my single 55" Samsung NU6900 I could get the frame generation to work. Can say for sure but that's my recollection.

The TV's Frame generation I think would be very useful for you on your 3 screen setup because if you can get it to work and get even 24fps to each TV out of the GPU you''l be able to get a smooth 46fps on each of those screen.

By the way, I don't know what I'm talking about.🤪

Haha sounds to me you know exactly what you're talking about haha! Although they are 4k TV's, I plan on running at1080.

11 hours ago, SeattlePilot said:

Haha sounds to me you know exactly what you're talking about haha! Although they are 4k TV's, I plan on running at1080.

That's fine but bear in mind you can double your frame rate using those TV's over using a PC display. Those TV's have built in Hardware for frame interpolation! That's what the 4000 series Nvidia cards does. It doubles your frame rate. Those TV's can do that too!

Edited by FBW737

7 hours ago, FBW737 said:

That's fine but bear in mind you can double your frame rate using those TV's over using a PC display. Those TV's have built in Hardware for frame interpolation! That's what the 4000 series Nvidia cards does. It doubles your frame rate. Those TV's can do that too!

OK great, thanks!! I think I'll make the purchase this weekend!!

1080 resolution on 55" TV?  that will be very coarse. might have to sit further away from it and possibly have the instruments on another higher resolution display.

at only 1080p resolution you can use inexpensive passive Displayport-HDMI type 1  adapters, around $ 5 - $ 10 a piece. for 4K @ 60 Hz you would want an adapter type 2.

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

On 3/19/2023 at 9:10 PM, turbomax said:

1080 resolution on 55" TV?  that will be very coarse. might have to sit further away from it and possibly have the instruments on another higher resolution display.

I agree. The visual quality will be appalling.

@SeattlePilot, you really need to reconsider your decision to use 3 55” TVs. One running at its native resolution will look infinitely better. I would STRONGLY advise against three 1080 displays.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I have three 75" 4K tvs and it works and looks great. With Samsung Auto Motion Plus (soap opera effect) enabled I am able to run at 25hz/25fps super smooth. Absolutely fantastic.