Sign in to follow this  
Murmur

Cockpit exposure.

4 hours ago, mSparks said:

If you are on nvidia, give changing the colormode of your display from full to limited a try.

I did that some time ago, it resolved the issue of dull colors in X-Plane at certain screen resolutions. Highly recommended.

• Like 2

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

9 hours ago, mSparks said:

that could also explain a lot of the "aa" issues people complain about.

Thanks for the tipp that I will try out 👍😊

i912900k, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM

that could also explain a lot of the "aa" issues people complain about.

Too bad we don't have laugh reacts...

• Upvote 1

Setup: RX6800 | 5800X3D + B450 | 32GB 3200MHz | X-Plane 12

Limiting your colour space is now being posted as a solution, essentially slightly crushing your blacks and over-exposing your image, which should also solve the insane shimmering in the sim, which is completely unrelated? What on earth

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

5 minutes ago, Sethos said:

Limiting your colour space is now being posted as a solution, essentially slightly crushing your blacks and over-exposing your image, which should also solve the insane shimmering in the sim, which is completely unrelated? What on earth

Yep. Welcome to the x-plane family. Some will claim the most insane things so they won't admit x-plane is broken.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, bogdansrb said:

Too bad we don't have laugh reacts...

whats funny?

Two things happen if you try to view a full range signal on a limited range display.

Dark (and some light) get made extremely dark (and extremely light), and you get what looks like horrific aliasing where that happens.

23 minutes ago, Sethos said:

I suggested he try it, I don't know what monitor he is using, its specs or what it is capable of. Don't think he does...

trying to view full dynamic range image on a monitor that can't do it without rescaling it dramatically decreases the dynamic range further, because you lose the range from the SDR display, and more from the monitor just ignoring out of range high and low values.

It defaults to full, but there is a lot of hardware out in the wild that only supports SDR:

not many people have

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-dynamic-range_television

If you have an HDR display you should almost certainly leave it on full.

If you don't, you probably shouldn't.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

HDR is not 0-255, HDR is essentially an unlimited colour range, way beyond that scale. Standard SDR supports 0-255, i.e "full". Only reason why you'd see an improvement using 'Limited' is if you had a really cheap, crappy panel or there's something funky in your setup.

Edited by Sethos

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

55 minutes ago, Sethos said:

HDR is not 0-255

SDR is 8 bits per color, 24bits per pixel, RGB each in the range of 16 to 235

some 90%+ of displays follow that standard, all TVs that are not marked HDR.

if they are marked HDR, it could just mean they accept the full 0-255 color

but even then

HDMI 2.0 can transmit 12 bits per sample RGB at a resolution of 2160p and a frame rate of 24/25/30 fps

-> Its very easy to fall back to that. failing HDCP checks will knock you all the way down to 256 color...

https://www.benq.com/en-us/knowledge-center/knowledge/full-rgb-vs-limited-rgb-is-there-a-difference.html

^sounds a lot like what efis is describing.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

9 hours ago, Murmur said:

I did that some time ago, it resolved the issue of dull colors in X-Plane at certain screen resolutions. Highly recommended.

I misread the post, in my case things improved when going from "limited" (which apparently was default on my pc) to "full".

Ignoring the usual hater on this forum, I'd say everyone should check that option and try one or the other.

Edited by Murmur
  • Like 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

14 hours ago, mSparks said:

@efis007

sei su nvidia o amd?

Se sei su nvidia, prova a cambiare la modalità colore del tuo display da completa a limitata.

in basso a destra di questa immagine (per Windows aiui)

Nvidia-dynamic-range-option.png

questo potrebbe anche spiegare molti dei problemi "aa" di cui le persone si lamentano.

I'm on Nvidia, I've already tested that option, it changes absolutely nothing.
I will wait for v12.07.

Creatore di * FS9 Supersky * ( plugin Atmo Ambient Environment ).
* XP11 atmoXphere * (
Atmo Ambient Environment plugin ) creatore.

-------------------------------------------------- ---------------------
Pc intel i3-4160 3.6ghz, 8gb ram, (new) GeForce RTX-3060 12gb, Win10 Home 64bit
--------------- --------------------------------------------------------

whats funny?

Two things happen if you try to view a full range signal on a limited range display.

Dark (and some light) get made extremely dark (and extremely light), and you get what looks like horrific aliasing where that happens.

I just told you I got a calibrated 2k monitor and the AA issue is still there. Stop being this guy. X-Plane is broken.

spacer.png

Edited by bogdansrb

7 hours ago, efis007 said:

I'm on Nvidia, I've already tested that option, it changes absolutely nothing.

so just to clarify what you are saying, in the test image given in the follow up link.

range%20calibrated?$ResponsivePreset$&fm

all the details in the bottom right of that image are clear to you, but your opinion is that it is to dark because eyes dont work like that?

AutoATC Developer

I also tested the output dynamic range in Nvidia panel from full to limited (never did that before) in a LG 32" 1440p monitor (no HDR capable) in Win11, and the obvious results was a less vivid colors, in desktop and in XP12, too less vivid colors that I found unbearable for my eyes.

The interesting part is that in XP12, is like a feel of a smoother image, with less jaggies and shimmering, however I know that is not the case because I really looked very carefully and those effects are still there.

Anyway, it was a good shoot to try, because I really like XP12 and I'm hoping the best for the developers in improving the visual quality in the next versions, for now I'm too flying more in XP11 than XP12. 

Alexander Colka

On 7/14/2023 at 7:50 AM, mSparks said:

so just to clarify what you are saying, in the test image given in the follow up link.

all the details in the bottom right of that image are clear to you, but your opinion is that it is to dark because eyes dont work like that?

I'm saying dark panels don't depend on monitor calibration or the Nvidia settings you recommended.
Dark panels are an Xplane bug, we've known it for 6 years (this bug already existed in 2017 with XP11) and already at the time it was concluded that monitor calibration has absolutely nothing to do with the bug in question.

Creatore di * FS9 Supersky * ( plugin Atmo Ambient Environment ).
* XP11 atmoXphere * (
Atmo Ambient Environment plugin ) creatore.

-------------------------------------------------- ---------------------
Pc intel i3-4160 3.6ghz, 8gb ram, (new) GeForce RTX-3060 12gb, Win10 Home 64bit
--------------- --------------------------------------------------------

24 minutes ago, efis007 said:

I'm saying dark panels don't depend on monitor calibration or the Nvidia settings you recommended.
Dark panels are an Xplane bug, we've known it for 6 years (this bug already existed in 2017 with XP11) and already at the time it was concluded that monitor calibration has absolutely nothing to do with the bug in question.

If the bottom right of that test image does not look like you are there, with all the details in the bottom right "clear as day".

Your monitor, its calibration or its system settings are at fault. Thats the whole point of the test image.

to repeat it is from this link.

https://www.benq.com/en-us/knowledge-center/knowledge/full-rgb-vs-limited-rgb-is-there-a-difference.html

And no, a large range of areas being under a range of shadow calibrated against real world cockpits is brand new to XP12. The whole point now is the numbers are comparable to the real world.

So "I dont like it, its to dark" doesnt cut the mustard. get in the real cockpit of the aircraft you are talking about, take the light measurements, then confirm when the XP aircraft in question is set to those measurements a calibrated monitor does not output the same (relative) brightness for a given iso value.

what I am pretty sure you will find, when you do that, btw, is XP already artificially brightens the cockpit over real world numbers.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer