Sign in to follow this  
vonmar

A software to save your panel position

Guest Stephane

Hello I've made a little software to save and recall the panels' position an size. It works when you use Fsx in Windowed mode and with undocked panels, and should help the users with multiple monitors.How it works :There are two applications, one for saving the position/size and another one to recall it. It saves one panels setup per aircraft.Download "Panel Position" here :http://www.casawave.fr/upload/fsx/Panel_Position.zip- Unzip it in a folder- Open Fsx in windowed mode- Open the panels you need, undocked them, and place/resize them the way you want.- Launch "Panel Store.exe" and wait a few (2 to 5 secondes)Move, resize the panels or load/create a flight.- Open the panels you need (undocked)- Launch "Panel Restore.exe"The size and the positions of your panels will be recalled.More details :When you execute "Panel Store.exe", it scans all the open windows, keep only the panels, and store their name, size and position in a .ini file. The .ini file name should be the aircraft name but I noticed it could be different with some addons.When you execute "Panel Restore.exe", it search the aircraft name, scan for the .ini file that match and move/resize the panels if they are opened and undocked (otherwise the software can't do anything).When you launch "Panel Store.exe", and if a corresponding .ini file is already created, it will delete it and create a new one.Tips :Create a shortcut for the two .exe, and assign a free keyboard shortcut.For example : Ctrl+Alt+F11 to save and Ctrl+Alt+F12 to restore.All comments are welcome.Best

Guest Stephane

If I've correctly understand your message :Yes, Panel Restore.exe and then ALT+ENTER is a solution to place automatically your panels on a second screen when you use Fsx in full screen mode.

St

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Outstanding! I just gave it a try and it worked perfectly on my dual monitor setup. You should get an award for this one! Thank you for solving one of my very few FSX pet peeves.Paul Dahlen

Stepane, thanks for this great utility! Now for a tougher peeve, can you PLEASE fix the issue of having to continually "re-activate" the ATC window to use it?? Get it back to FS9 behavior? I don't know why this was ever changed - what a nuisance.Thanks again for your gift!Regards, KendallDell 8400 3.2 GHZ H.T.3GB 533 DDR2X800XT 256MB/Catalyst driver - 7.1's6x AA/16x HQ A/FDiamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530'sDual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905CH Yoke/Pedals - Saitek Throttle

Regards, Kendall

I have no ini file present error when using restore filePut files in folder on desktop - used your key tip but would not make ini file.Have redownloaded etc but still same.Seems to be only me with this error :( All the best

Guest Stephane

Hi !If this little script is useful....great :-)Kendall, what is the problem with the ATC window ?Bursco, please check that Fsx is in windowed mode and that the panels are undocked, then launch "Panel store" without using the keyboard shortcut.

In window mode and ran panel store from desktop - ran it in FSX - in airplane folder etc.Will keep trying - maybe someone els may have this prob and find and answer.All the best:)

Guest Bud

Hello StephaneI think the prob Kendall is referring to is to do with focus. In order for keystrokes to be recognized, it is necessary for the ATC window to have focus. This has not been an issue in previous versions of FS to my knowledge. In fact, for users of multi-mons, it is not only the ATC window which represents this issue. For example, certainly with my set up, it is necessary for the focus to be with the main FS window in order to pause/unpause the program. I use a number of GoFlight units. Some of the functions also do not work unless the main window has focus.Of course if you are using more than one monitor with panels open on all of them, then, frequently the main FS monitor will not have focus.It is just one of many niggles I, and others, have with FSX.I would like to join with everyone to thank you for your contribution to help the plight of we multi-mons.Bud

>Hi !>>Kendall, what is the problem with the ATC window ?Hi Stephane, In FSX, if you click ANYWHERE in the VC with your mouse, such as making an autopilot change, you need to click on the ATC window again to highlight and activate it to respond. You can also minimize and restore it with the hotkey, but any which way you do it is very cumbersome IMHO and needlessly distracts your attention, especially when trying to fly a complicated DP. I drag the ATC window to a secondary monitor and in FS9, once it was there, I would never need to touch it again to make it active. I don't know why this was changed but, like the multi-mon window positioning problem you just solved, I know others also have a big dislike for this behavior. I you could do anything about it that would GREAT!!!Thanks again for your utility and your interest.Best Regards,Kendall

Regards, Kendall

Guest N684

maybe a stupid question but how do you assign a free keyboard shortcut in windows vista??edit: nevermind ive found it ;). nice program!Thanks!

Guest Stephane

Thank you Vaughan ! To answer your question, after running one software, it simply exit.