Sign in to follow this  
Fall_guy

Newbie - ILS Approach Landing

Hi Guys,Could someone please explain the correct FSX proceedure for ils approaches. Having been handed down through ATC to my Destination airport I can't seem to figure out where you get the ILS frequency from and where or what you enter it into? before hitting the APR button on the Mode panel.I'd appreciate it if you could let me know how to use the APR and ILS buttons correctly so that the Aircraft captures the Runway ILS and Glide Slope.Thanks for your Time and HelpJohn

You can find out the ILS frequency of the runway you're going to land on by opening up the map and clicking on the airport. (If there are multiple runways with ILS each one will have its own frequency).In the airport page, also note the ILS heading of the destination runway.Then close the map and bring up the radio (Shift-F2) and enter the ILS frequency into NAV1. You also need to set the omnibearing selector (usually labelled either OBS or CRS) to the correct heading. Where this control is on the panel depends on what aircraft you're flying.Once you've done this, the localizer and glideslope indicators should display once you're close enough to the airport. You can use APP mode once both of them appear. Or you could try following the localizer and glideslope by hand. One of the lessons gives a fairly good introduction to the technique.Colin

Hi ColinThanks for That..............Ive only just realised there some info in the Lessons section on ILS approach so Ill have a read later. In the mean time I'll try what you suggest and hope I don't crash and burn.Thanks for the adviceJohn

Read the article in the Learning Center on how to use the G500 GPS. You can quickly pop open the GPS and use the Nearest Airport page to find your destination, select it, read the frequency list, select the one you want, then autotune the standby freq of NAV1 radio.Click on the XFER button on NAV1 to make the new frequency active.Done, and you don't have to leave the sim to accomplish the task, unlike Map mode which ruins the immersion so rudely. ;)Of course, it would be remiss of me not to point out that all of this is a required part of your "pre-flight planning..." :-beerchug

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Yes, the GPS reveals all, and the G1000 in deluxe is fun to use too. Note there is a difference between flying an ILS approach, and using APR mode on the FD/AP.

Guest jshyluk

If I can expand on what Bill was saying...You can save yourself a lot of headache by having an "approach plate" on hand before you land. A "plate" is a schematic diagram of an airport and its airspace. Approach plates are designed to help you figure out how to correctly approach a runway from the air. Among other things, the ILS freq and heading is printed on the plate. It really helps to have your plates printed out on paper in advance.You can look for many free plates for the USA and other parts of the world on the Internet. Generally, they will work, as long as the FSX data is the same as the plate data, which is over 90% of the time, I would thinkIn a pinch, you can draw your own plates by copying down the information from the map before your departure taxi. As well, the map will show you weather information so that you can guess what runway the ATC will clear you for landing at your destination. Jeff ShylukSenior Staff Reviewer, Avsim

I'd like to add-learn to do it by hand first-there is almost nothing more satisfying in flying than hand flying a good approach-breaking out and seeing the runway in front of you.You will find the ultimate secret is not so much "chasing" the needles but a technique called "bracketing" and appropriate power aircraft configs that will keep you automatically on a correct glideslope."Bracketing" is finding a heading that will keep you on the localizer-which in almost all cases requires a wind correction from the heading on the published approach plate( get the wind from atis/atc/awos/preflight briefing before starting the approach and mentally add a correction based on your info). Once you get the right heading while you are out a ways(take your estimate and work with it till it is right)-holding that heading will keep the needle pretty centered and only very small corrections should be needed. Chasing the needle on the other hand will seldom give a nice approach.As for glideslope-for instance the Baron or Bonanza-come back to 15"-17" inches (15" for the winter-17" for the summer). The airspeed should come back just about the top of the flap speed with this configuration trimmed for level flight. When you intercept the glideslope-lower the gear. At this point the plane will start a nice 500 ft. per minute descent at that same speed(maybe with a little trim adjustment-very nice and since the gear is the "down" switch keeps you from forgetting it) -which is about the rate one needs to stay on glideslipe. Again, at this point only minor adjustments to pitch will be needed to stay on.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgForum Moderatorhttp://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Guest N684

Is there a way to find the heading of the runway on your GPS?Thanks

>Is there a way to find the heading of the runway on your>GPS?If you know the runway number, it's typically +/- only a few degrees either way.For example, at KGYY rwy 30's heading is currently 303

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest N684

>>Is there a way to find the heading of the runway on your>>GPS?>>If you know the runway number, it's typically +/- only a few>degrees either way.>>For example, at KGYY rwy 30's heading is currently 303?yeh i know but is there a way to find the precise heading on the gps? thank you!

Hi Everyone,Thanks Guys for your advice, its been really helpful and even though theres a #### of a lot to learn, I'm begining to understand the flying techniques abit more now.Regards John