Sign in to follow this  
dpergau

Will the PSU do? A dilemma over video cards

Hello, Thank you in advance for your time and suggestions!

I am enjoying P3D v5.3 and MSFS thoroughly.  I am constantly amazed at the graphics in MSFS despite its faults.  P3D continues to be my 'go-to' sim with many scenery addons, the Q400, big Boeings, FSL A320 family, and the iFly MAX.

Here is my predicament:

My current system is an i7-10700K, GTX 1080 (left over from an old Alienware system), 32gb 3200mhz ram and Seasonic Focus GX-750 power supply.  I have been going back and forth on upgrading the video card however I know I am restricted by the power supplies limitations.  If I keep the PSU that will rule out the 3080 and maybe even the 3070 TI.  Officially nVidia recommends 750w or more for the 3070/80 but I have seen some horror stories about power supplies and video card issues when paired with my power supply.  The 3060 TI looks like a strong contender but will migrating from the 1080 (8gb) to the 3060 TI (or-non TI) be beneficial? 

My monitor is a 1440p so 4K is not possible.

I am on a fixed budget so at this point I am exploring the used hardware market with great caution.

Thanks again for any suggestions!

Dan

Edited by dpergau
adding 1440p info

Dan Pergau - PPL-SEL

I7-10700k, RTX4070, 32gb-3200mhz | Dell U3415W | Saitek Pro Pedals & Logitech 3D Extreme | - PMDG Boeings, iFly MAX, Fenix A320, Leonardo MadDog and Majestic Q400 | P3Dv5 & MSFS

My current computer came with a 3070 card and a 750 watt PSU.  The PSU was fried within two weeks.  If you cannot upgrade the PSU, then I would suggest a 3060.  I do think your 1080 graphics card is in need of upgrading.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I had a 3080 with a Corsair 760w with no issues on an overclocked 8700K.

I only recently upgraded with a move to 13th gen CPU. 

Thanks for the replies @stans and @Dazzlercee23!

i hear there is a new 3060 TI in the wild with GDDR6X memory so I’m considering that as an option. Not many reviews yet as it’s still quite new. I believe the 750w PSU should be able to accommodate that card. Another thought is waiting for the 4060 TI. For now the 1080 continues to work so time appears to be on my side regarding a hardware decision. My visuals in MSFS continue to amaze me (perhaps I have low standards) but the struggles continue at times in P3D. 

Dan

• Like 1

Dan Pergau - PPL-SEL

I7-10700k, RTX4070, 32gb-3200mhz | Dell U3415W | Saitek Pro Pedals & Logitech 3D Extreme | - PMDG Boeings, iFly MAX, Fenix A320, Leonardo MadDog and Majestic Q400 | P3Dv5 & MSFS