Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

Are You Overlooking Enjoyable Stuff in MSFS?

5 hours ago, David Mills said:

I'm willing to bet that most of you guys are just like me. You decide where you want to fly and you begin making your flight plans, either in SimBrief or using the flight planner within MSFS itself. A minority of you are skilled enough to hand-program an FMC, and so you instead use your FMC alone to set sail.

But I'm also willing to bet that a lot of you, again like me, have long overlooked some really enjoyable stuff MSFS has to offer. For example, ask yourself these questions:

• Have you explored any of the Bush Trips?
  • Have you enjoyed a Discovery Flight?
  • Are you perfecting your piloting abilities by tackling the Landing Challenges?
  • Have you undertaken the superb in-sim Flight Training?
  • Have you ever participated in the weekly Community Fly-In?
  • Are you learning to fly the new gliders in the Soaring area of MSFS?
  • How are your skills progressing in the new Helicopters? (Please don't ask about mine!)
  • Have you even installed the free Top Gun Maverick add-on? (And to those of you who believe your piloting skills are "above" such Top Gun "game play," then I assume you'd have no problem whatever landing that F-18 on the moving aircraft carrier at night. No problem at all.)

The fact is that a lot of these "extracurricular" activities within MSFS -- the very activities I'm accusing you (and myself) of overlooking -- are actually a far greater testing of our piloting abilities than flying on autopilot from Cincinnati to Pittsburgh in clear weather, in the middle of the afternoon (one of my favorite flights). Again, I'm the worst creature of habit there is. So see whether there might be something within MSFS that you've thus far overlooked and therefore not fully appreciated and enjoyed. 

Really appreciate this post David and 100% agree with you and the above statements (and will follow your hints: gliders...fascinating challenge).

Congrats for the meaningful post.

Cheers,

• Like 3

Massimo Burti

Intel Core i9-13900K ¦ 64GB DDR4-3200 - 2x 32GB - Kingston Fury Beast - black ¦ 2x 2TB - m.2 NVMe Gen4 - Samsung 980 Pro ¦ Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4  ¦ Asus TUF RTX 3080 Gaming OC LHR - 12GB ¦ 1000W - 80+ Platinum - Seasonic Prime PX

Not tried any of the built-in extras as such, but pretty much everything I do in MSFS is in effect a "discovery flight".

By which I mean it's all about exploring the world up close and visiting places I've either been in RL or just take my fancy on the map. Or somewhere I've read something about. Or something like that. And sometimes I'll go exploring in the Grravel or similar. Sometimes an A-318. Or a chopper. Or the An-225. Or the MD-11. Or anything else that takes my fancy. As long as I can get it off the ground I'm happy. Landing OK is a bonus.

• Like 2

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

I am not much into "organized" activities, real life is enough for me for that matter  😄

7 hours ago, David Mills said:
  • Have you explored any of the Bush Trips?

Nope. tried once the Unalaska one, but was miffed by the poor imagery then and left after 10 minutes. Anyway, this sim has hundreds of strips to discover all over the world why should I stick to these ?

• Have you enjoyed a Discovery Flight?

Never. I do my own discovery. This is part of the fun. I don't care much about predigested food more about discover the word. Preparing right now a flight in the highlands of Thailand and Laos. 

• Are you perfecting your piloting abilities by tackling the Landing Challenges?

Nope. I stick to a very limited number of aircraft anyway

• Have you undertaken the superb in-sim Flight Training?

Nope

• Have you ever participated in the weekly Community Fly-In?

Nope

• Are you learning to fly the new gliders in the Soaring area of MSFS?

Never say never.

• How are your skills progressing in the new Helicopters? (Please don't ask about mine!)

THAT is a tricky question 😄. I have flown the Cabri, more than one hundred hours so far, I love the bird but I am not sure that my skills are progressing very fast 🙃

• Have you even installed the free Top Gun Maverick add-on? (And to those of you who believe your piloting skills are "above" such Top Gun "game play," then I assume you'd have no problem whatever landing that F-18 on the moving aircraft carrier at night. No problem at all.)

Nope, remember, it is a sim not a game !

OK I am outtta here 😄

Maybe I should, maybe one day... 

Now, there is one thing that I have overlooked. I have been very conservative in downloading freeware sceneries, the sim is already very nice as such. I was wrong  and I have decided to shift gear up. Installed the Linker (call me a late bloomer) and I  am ruining FSTO bandwidth these days. My hat off tho these guy by the way. They have brought to the hobby a great tool.

Maybe a last thing. I am at core a warbird and bush simmer but  I swore to myself that I would try an airliner in the new sim. I didn't. The Airbus 310 is tempting but I procrastinate. 

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Haven't done any of them since the C-152 flight school the first week I got the game, waste of space in my opinion.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

'No' to all.

This reminds me I should check how I can uninstall all that word not allowed. 😉

I am having way too much fun with the 'new' Longitude while I am waiting for the Vision Jet to get the AAU1 update. Like I had too much flying the Fenix A320 and the JP C152 and the Milviz C310 before that. I simply like to pick my own departure and destination and specially my own plane. Soaring planes, helicopters and specially fighters (yikes) aren't my thing. The MSFS is totally awesome and I don't need someone to take my hand and lead me along its beauty: I rather explore it myself.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

...I swore to myself that I would try an airliner in the new sim. I didn't. The Airbus 310 is tempting but I procrastinate. 

The A310 is free of course, and pretty good, but if you want to really enjoy a payware airliner for not much money, I am really impressed with the PMDG B737-600.

It is easy to fly, feels just great on the controls, has lots of features, and superb frame rates (which surprised me). 
I love the feeling of touching down in this airliner that I don't get in others. 

Since then I have bought the -700 and -800, but the much cheaper -600 is the place to start for not much money.  Very enjoyable.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

28 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

am really impressed with the PMDG B737-600.

Yep I keep an eye on the -600 as I usually like to fly one-hour or about flights. At the end of the day what keep me off liners are two things. I keep procrastinating changing my computer which is on the weak side for an airliner and large  airports. But also, flying airliners needs more "paper work" (simbrief, programming FMC etc.) to ultimately fly on a well-marked route, if you see what I mean.  The anarchist in me rebels to the idea 🤣

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

There's a Bush trip mod for Vietnam that I keep meaning to get around to.

Once I downloaded the Himalaya Mesh I took a flight from Skardu up through the valleys to see K2. A memorable flight until I ran out of gas and ended up inverted on the glacier below the mountain.

• Like 1

B450 Tomahawk Max / Ryzen 7 5800x3D / RTX 3060ti 8G / Noctua NH-UI21S Max Cooling / 32G Patriot RAM / 1TB NVME / 450G SSD / Thrustmaster TCA & Throttle Quadrant / Xiaomi 32" Wide Curved Monitor 1440p 144hz

Thanks for the post. I haven't done any of them, but now you've perked my interest.

One thing you didn't mention is the SDK in the Developers Mode.  I have created my own airport which is across the street from my house and it wasn't hard to do, using YouTube. (PatriotSix is a good one).  To me it's more rewarding than just flying from point A to point B.

But I'm going to try some of the other things now.

Roy

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Bush trips? I do my own flying to several airstrips here in Córdoba province.

Top Gun Maverick? I installed it after watching the movie, and somehow I expected to be doing the same mission profile as in the movie. As soon as I found this was not the case, I stopped flying this addon.

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), ID-Cooling SE-224-XTS air cooler, Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

I haven't tried that stuff because it doesn't really interest me. But there are other things that are great and go beyond just A to B flights. For example a real life CFI has posted a 25 video virtual PPL to YouTube that covers the real world syllabus as closely as possible within the sim - that was really enjoyable.

I also set up tours of famous Second World War battlefields which was great too. 

Personally if I want to try things like landing on a carrier deck or flying helicopters, I'll use DCS for it because it's much much better imo.

12 hours ago, Dillon said:

I've been discovering the F-35B. 

1. Hovering/landing over covered up runways at Camp Pendelton

2. Downloading the BlackSheep squadron livery and doing short field takeoffs/landings at from their hanger area at Yuma AZ (thanks to the freeware mod airport)

3. Hover landing/takeoffs from carriers

I usually start a flight at Yuma, head to Miramar and hover land.  Takeoff from Miramar over to Camp Pendelton for some bush landing practice at that base (which specializes in real world rough terrain training).  Takeoff from the bush and head to the Lincoln CVN-72 off the coast of Long beach (LVFR Carriers), and then over to the Seal training base on the island of San Clemente (another freeware offering).

I have a whole new appreciation of the F-35B and understand why the Marines love it over the older Harrier.

I forgot to mention all this exclusively in VR (FSRealistic for missing sound set sounds).  Doesn't make since any other way (at least as far as the F-35 is concerned)...😎

A new crowd pleaser for military airshows would have to be the F-35B.  Imagin a vertical takeoff, then acceleration out of the vertical to main fighter mode, then all the tricks that was featured in the Paris airshow, and last but not least a slow flight to vertical landing.  This would win everytime...👍  

Edited by Dillon

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

That is the sheer beauty of the MSFS platform, it can be enjoyed in so many different ways just in its default state with all that it offers for civil aviation simulation in the most realistic digital world + weather/lighting recreation out there on home computers.. and then the possibilities increase even more when 3rd party add-ons enter the picture. It can be as complex or as easy, as realistic or not, as 'sim'-y or as 'game'-y :), etc etc.. *all* as *you* choose to make it.

For me, as much as I love my airliner ops, nothing really beats some simple low and slow flying with a well implemented small aircraft to soak in the joys of pure flight, and be able to traverse and discover a twin earth in my computer at all times of the day and in all kinds of weather. That activity in itself can keep one occupied for months on end.

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 3

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD