Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hawk78

Default 737 - Checklist/realism problems

Guest Hawk78

Hi,I like the 737 virtual cockpit. Virtual cockpits are important to me. However, after having used quite a bit of time trying to use this aircraft a bit realistically, I'm getting a bit frustrated. Maybe it's just me. I use the checklists downloadable from the file library (the kneeboard lists are useless), as well as the cold and dark fix. This is what I've experienced:- Fuel Flow: CUTOFF //Where? Can't find it...- After prestart checklist, radios are still dead. Is there an avionics master switch somewhere? - NAV lights???- Autobrake only works in 2D panel, not in virtual cockpit! REALLY annoying.- Master starter switches only work on the Throttle Quad Panel, not in the virtual cockpit. - How do I tune VOR courses and similar in the glass cockpit? (In the Learjet 45 this is easy, can't find a button in the 737 that does it...)...and why does ATC direct me to rwy 23 on Heathrow (EGLL), which is too short for a 737 landing??? No ILS either ;-(Hope someone can help!Aleks

Hi Aleks,I know what you mean, I also spent a lot of time in the wonderfull default 737 VC cockpit. There are a lot of bugs or NOT functionals and there is no option (at this moment) to collect a payware 737 for FSX with the same eye candy and full functionals.For the time being, I bought the Level-D 767 which is full functional.If you want to go for real and I think you also want a working FMC, go for the 767 and wait till there is a good working 737.Happy landings...

The default aircraft are a lot like a James Bond movie: In order to enjoy them you can't think or analyze too much. They're not meant for the purists, but rather people who just want to push the throttle and go (the majority of FS users probably).PMDG is said to be working on a new 737 for FSX. Best wait till then. Or go with the LDS 767 in the meantime.Cheers,Bryan

Guest Hawk78

Getting tempted to get that Level-D 767...What's the quality of the virtual cockpit like (both looks and functionality)?Checked your FS2Crew link as well Bryan, looks (and sounds) good! Probably would get that next... ;-)Aleks

Guest jshyluk

The FSX 737 is like a painting of a sailing ship in a hotel room. It looks like a ship, but don't bet your life on how the rigging has been rendered by the artist.The fuel flow system is more or less automated in the FSX 737, but you can use the cut-offs at the base of the throttles. It's not super-realistic, but it's in the ballpark.Your radios are probably dead because you are taking too long to power up your jet. MSFS gives you a really short battery life if you are starting cold and dark. I know there's a fix for FS9, but I can't recall if there's a battery fix for FSX. The dreaded Engine Autostart keytstroke (What is it? Ctrl-E? Can't recall that at the moment either, but you can look it up) will automatically bypass a dead battery condition.As for operating mouse-clickable switches in the FSX 737, I find that they work better if you use the dedicated "Throttle Quadrant" view, rather than panning from the pilot's seat. It's pretty annoying, but the hotspots seem to work better from the one view than the other.As for the navigational controls, they're all in the autopilot panel. You set the heading or the course based on whether you are tuned into radio navigation or GPS (which broadly simulates an FMC-controlled flight plan).Certainly feel free to investigate the great third-party add-ons that other developers have to offer. I used to really love the PMDG 737, but that's back in FS9 which I don't use anymore.Jeff ShylukSenior Staff Reviewer, AVSIM

FSUIPC (registered) has an option which will alleviate the battery problem.Friendly Panels do a nice super-simple FMC for the temporally challenged which looks the part in the default 737.There is a fix for the wrong way round landing lights switches. You need to use the SDK but I can save you time and send you the corrected file if you PM me.The only way that I know of to get the NAV lights working is to use the "L" key to switch all the lights on, then switch off what you don't need.I enjoy the default iron when I just want to get up flying asap but one would have thought that for SP1 ACES would have taken the opportunity to fix all the bugs on the default aircraft, especially stuff like the taxi lights and raindrops! After all not everyone uses payware flyers and I like the FSX default stuff.Alternatively they could release the source files as part of the SDK so that we could fix them!Pleeeeease ACES - for SP2 perhaps? :)

Guest Hawk78

Thanks for great responses everyone, most helpful!I decided to get the LD 767. Great exterior model, not so flashy VC, in my opinion not very impressive sound (missing smooth transitions when for example increasing throttle from idle), but funcionality seems to be the nuts! Look forward to the future PMDG jets.Aleks