Sign in to follow this  
wiler

AMD ryzen 7900x3d review

As I mentioned in my quick tests in the other thread  this chip is a beast and just a few % off from the 7950x3d and smokes Intel in MSFS. Scroll down to see MSFS charts.  If the 7950x3d was available where i'm at I would have just got that but Its not so I went for this chip and its really amazing in MSFS. If you have a 5800x3d , id wait till the next gen x3d tbh, 15% increase isn't worth the upgrade to am5 platform.  If coming from like a 5900x or lower do it.  

one other thing id like to add: during MSFS the power consumption of this chip is only 60w + 170-225w for the 3080.  pretty amazing if you ask me! 

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-9-7900x3d-cpu-review/3

Edited by wiler

7900x3d , 64gb 6200mhz 30CL Ram, RTX 3080

There's seems to a significant shortage of the 7950X3D's where I am (Australia). The initial batch that some wholesalers managed to secure were gone in a couple of hours and more arn't expected until the end of the month. I'm surprised that supply or distribution chains haven't been able to keep up with this one - we've come to sort of expect GPU's being hard to find but I've not seen this with a CPU before.

As a result, I'm tossing up just building my new rig with the 7900X3D and then upgrading the the bigger chip if I feel its worthwhile...after all taking the chip out and swapping it isn't a big deal and proved no issues when I went from the 5800X to 5800X3D. 

Very interested to hear your comparisons or FPS results at busy places like KLAX or EGLL.

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

I also got 79X3D, but from 3800XT I really couldn't compare it to anything. and I didn't yet get MSFS or P3D running, only XP11 with same add-ons as before, which reportedly not gain any advantage with large L3 in 58X3D, but the performance is just good enough for me (maybe 78X3D would be as good for me, but anyway...)

Running full TJMAX with only 5% of load with 360AIO just feels odd... maybe it's normal as others said...

8 hours ago, KL Oo said:

There's seems to a significant shortage of the 7950X3D's where I am (Australia). The initial batch that some wholesalers managed to secure were gone in a couple of hours and more arn't expected until the end of the month. I'm surprised that supply or distribution chains haven't been able to keep up with this one - we've come to sort of expect GPU's being hard to find but I've not seen this with a CPU before.

As a result, I'm tossing up just building my new rig with the 7900X3D and then upgrading the the bigger chip if I feel its worthwhile...after all taking the chip out and swapping it isn't a big deal and proved no issues when I went from the 5800X to 5800X3D. 

Very interested to hear your comparisons or FPS results at busy places like KLAX or EGLL.

you save maybe $100-125 getting the 7900x3d over the 7950x3d which can be put into a high quality DDr5 kit.  I went w 6000 CL30 G skill ram. Highly tunable ram which aids in the smoothness I suspect. 

I run at 30fps g sync locked which some people were having a meltdown about in the other thread. I did run unlocked 55-60 fps in most areas in 4k just to quickly try out the difference between 30fps and unlocked. Unlocked did introduce a few stutters especially on ground.  Honestly I feel no difference for my EYES between 30fps and 60fps, some see it but I really dont. I will now crank up the TLOD to prob 200, most everything on high or ultra locked at 30FPS 4K and literally never stutter even once while cruising around NYC, taking off from the VERY frame heavy ini KEWR and landing at KJFK.  Something that would have been impossible w the other chips I've had prior.  The 3080 is still good enough for me at this point, I see no reason to upgrade to 4080, will wait till the next series or wait till price cut(lol yea right).  My issue was the CPU and ive addressed that w the 7900x3d.

Edited by wiler

3 hours ago, C2615 said:

I also got 79X3D, but from 3800XT I really couldn't compare it to anything. and I didn't yet get MSFS or P3D running, only XP11 with same add-ons as before, which reportedly not gain any advantage with large L3 in 58X3D, but the performance is just good enough for me (maybe 78X3D would be as good for me, but anyway...)

Running full TJMAX with only 5% of load with 360AIO just feels odd... maybe it's normal as others said...

make sure you got all the latest drivers from the adrenaline software from amd. there is some vcache driver which is needed to run those cores during gaming. windows wont do it automatically.  Also, my chip runs at 55-65w during MSFS which is insane efficiency. 

The 7800X3D will probably be the best of them all for MSFS. If i was on the market for a CPU, i'd just hold. These current ones are being pushed so that they have a chance of selling as they add quite a lot of latency due to their design. The 7800X with a single chiplet will probably and clearly pass the 13900K in most gaming (MSFS included) titles.

• Like 1

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Guru3D's review of the 7950XD3 and comparing results to the i9-13900K shows very similar results. Some games are slightly faster with the AMD, others are slightly faster with the Intel.

Where the AMD wins is with lower running temps. Either will produce excellent results. Sadly there are no results for any of the simulators we fly but that shouldn't put potential purchasers off. Both are current state of the art and with a 4090 will give the best possible performance.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-ryzen-9-7950x3d-processor-review,1.html

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-ryzen-9-7950x3d-processor-review,30.html

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

13 hours ago, KL Oo said:

Running heathrow  4k @60fps mostly high ultra tlod 150.  frame times  15-16ms GPU load 13ms.  this chip is insane. 

25 minutes ago, wiler said:

Running heathrow  4k @60fps mostly high ultra tlod 150.  frame times  15-16ms GPU load 13ms.  this chip is insane. 

How many Ai are being injected into the sim? MSFS I presume? That makes a significant difference to performance.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

5 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

How many Ai are being injected into the sim? MSFS I presume? That makes a significant difference to performance.

didnt load AI yet cuz my fstl is messed up after beta update. usually AI adds 2-3ms to cpu time

18 minutes ago, wiler said:

didnt load AI yet cuz my fstl is messed up after beta update. usually AI adds 2-3ms to cpu time

And a significant drop in fps I imagine.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

6 hours ago, wiler said:

If it only adds 2-3ms to CPU time I'll be very impressed....that would be delivering an easy 30 FPS given your GPU and CPU load times. 

Edited by KL Oo

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

So I got fsltl to run.  tried 30fps and 60fps sat at heathrow 27R , hardly any drop in cpu time in cockpit, small drop in cpu time in panning mode which shows entire airport w AI models. DLSS quality, 150TLOD , most high and ultra settings.  PMDG 737.  I still prefer running at 30fps , way smoother and so much less heat and watts needed.  30fps  chip 60w+ gpu 160w.  60fps chip 70w+ gpu 280-300w.  For me its not even worth running 60fps, I feel no difference, but to each their own!  I will again tell anyone looking to upgrade , this chip is a beast of a chip, it mauls anything I tried.  KEWR, KLGA, NY area all tamed by this chip as well.  One thing for anyone looking to upgrade they need to use process lasso to set flightsimulator.exe to run on cores 0-11 (vcache cores) otherwise windows doesnt do that right now properly and the sim is ran on the normal cores , which are still great btw , but the vache cores take it to a whole new level. 

Edited by wiler

On 3/12/2023 at 3:57 PM, wiler said:

make sure you got all the latest drivers from the adrenaline software from amd. there is some vcache driver which is needed to run those cores during gaming. windows wont do it automatically.  Also, my chip runs at 55-65w during MSFS which is insane efficiency. 

I have done all of them at install, it turns out the default fan on my MSI M360 AIO is just PoS, I switched to 3 T30 and all CPU now can hold lower than 60C with AIDA stress test

13 hours ago, wiler said:

One thing for anyone looking to upgrade they need to use process lasso to set flightsimulator.exe to run on cores 0-11 (vcache cores) otherwise windows doesnt do that right now properly and the sim is ran on the normal cores , which are still great btw , but the vache cores take it to a whole new level. 

Are you sure you’re using the latest chipset drivers, bios and have game bar on? Others are reporting the system correctly identifies the program and runs it on the VCache cores automatically. 

Kael Oswald