Sign in to follow this  
candyman1101

Help with Aircraft name: Mauritanian Airlines

Good day,

I am busy painting the Mauritanian Airlines Boeing 737-800 5T-CLE, and I have been brought to a halt trying to figure out the name of the aircraft. The "English" name on the left-hand side of the aircraft is: "Aftout Essahili". If I translate directly into Arabic, it does not represent text that even remotely looks similar to what is painted on the right side of the fuselage. To be honest, I am not sure it is Arabic, I am guessing, as it is one of the languages spoken in Mauritania from my research. I have also tried Persian, which resulted in something similar as what is painted on the aircraft, but not exact. 
If anyone could either help with the translation or the actual words that are written on the right side of the nose, that would be appreciated immensely. 

Here is the highest resolution photo I could get of the Arabic name, but it is distorted too much to trace in good enough detail.
5T-CLE_CMN_(33518070336).jpg

• Like 1

افطوط الساحلي

I think that's how they've spelt it.

Some Arabic translations have the correct spelling, but they write it left to right (like English) so it's spelt backwards and unconnected. Arabic is always written in a cursive manner, and the letters look very different depending on where they sit in a word and certainly when written alone. The effect on computers with Arabic font (but no Arabic language pack) can be quite comical.

I have a Transavia 737 repaint that does this. Transavia have the word "Welcome" in various languages by the L1 door. The Arabic one looks like "emoclew". 😂😂

So thank you for putting in the effort to get this right. Not all painters do. (I'm not complaining, I'm grateful for all the work the painters do in the community, and foreign linguistics and calligraphy are far from simple) 

Rashid Yacine