Sign in to follow this  
gazpatt

Pilot's B-314 Clipper released

Yesterday evening Pilot's released their MSFS version of the Boeing B-314 clipper. I didn't have this for P3D but picked it up for MSFS last night when I saw their facebook release post. Only had a brief look so far but my aim is to have a go at celestial navigation on a San Francisco to Hawaii flight! Think that might be a couple of months off though!

Anyone else planning on getting this? I am also interested in their Dash 7 which is going to be the next release.

• Like 2

I am interested in this, but a link would be good @gazpatt, as they seem to be a bit shy of showing photos, especially of the flightdeck - from the few websites I have seen.

EDIT:  Here we go...  some links.  I won't link directly to the Pilot's purchasing part of the website as I received a warning from my browser.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/new-release-pilots-boeing-b314-the-clipper-flying-boat/408190/28

https://www.pilots.shop/files/Differences between the Base and Pro versions.pdf

Not convinced about the textures.  The silver one doesn't look too good, and it all seems a bit P3D-ish.
Not sure about the base and pro versions either.  I need to do a bit more reading, as it isn't clear to me what I am buying, but I have lost interest for now anyway due to the initial marketing - I will wait and see how it develops.

Edited by bobcat999

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

12 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

I am interested in this, but a link would be good @gazpatt, as they seem to be a bit shy of showing photos, especially of the flightdeck - from the few websites I have seen.

https://www.pilots.shop/Cms/Ui/Pages/Products/MainPage.aspx?id=9633a8c6-b041-4c42-b5fd-c9062043ee76&pageid=bb7c6c49-ce7f-42bd-8083-db1d0b95f03c

• Like 2

Matt

Vote for better camera support in MSFS: https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/t/camera-api/3077/29

8 minutes ago, Zangoose said:

Thanks!  I told my browser to just trust it.  Plenty of pictures there - just holding off at the moment but I would love a decent 314.

EDIT:  Textures do look flat.  No PBR effects?  If it wasn't for the scenery in the background I would say it was in FSX / P3D from a few years ago.  No doubt they have put good work into the plane though.

Edited by bobcat999

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

17 minutes ago, Bartul said:

I suppose flight dynamics was tested by it's real pilot?

:laugh:  I get your point, but I suppose not many 314 pilots around now.  They will have to go by book data, previous sim versions, and a bit of intelligent guess work.

I never trust that phrase anyway.  I have read threads where pilots of certain aircraft argue over flight dynamics, and even some of the pilots and flight instructors on this forum have disagreed over flight dynamics tested by a 'real' pilot.

In the end, it is still subjective to a degree.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

EDIT:  Textures do look flat.  No PBR effects?  If it wasn't for the scenery in the background I would say it was in FSX / P3D from a few years ago.  No doubt they have put good work into the plane though.

This is 2023, now why would anyone want to use PBR? 😗🙄🤔😄

Seriously Rob, of course our B-314 has PBR, in fact I think we have an absolutely exquisite VC with really awesome textures made by one of the best texture artists in the business, who also does texture work for SimWorks Studios, the developer of our actual B-314 3D model and so much more.

If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Jerome

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Bartul said:

I suppose flight dynamics was tested by it's real pilot?

That goes without saying! 😋

While this is our first ever aircraft release for MSFS, initial feedback so far has been extremely positive, with the aircraft feeling slow and heavy as intended.

We are super excited to have finally released the PILOT'S B-314 for MSFS and will be monitoring all the various forums and value all constructive feedback.

Jerome

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for coming back Jerome.  It will go down well here.  Obviously, customers / potential customers like to see good communication from the developers.

It may be my misunderstanding, and I am now looking at photos.  I thought the silver finish should have been natural metal and reflect more, but the real life pictures I have seen do indeed seem to show this flat silver paint finish - 'airship silver' :laugh:
My apologies over that.  Good news it that it is getting generally good reviews over at the MSFS official forum.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

Thanks for coming back Jerome.  It will go down well here.  Obviously, customers / potential customers like to see good communication from the developers.

It may be my misunderstanding, and I am now looking at photos.  I thought the silver finish should have been natural metal and reflect more, but the pictures I have seen do seem to show this flat silver paint finish - 'airship silver' :laugh:
My apologies over that.  Good news it that it is getting generally good reviews over at the MSFS official forum.

Rob, my understanding is that the Clipper did not have a shiny mirror metal body like the former American Airlines silver livery. Stefan, the CEO of PILOT'S, has half a room filled with B-314 memorabilia, reference material, letters of his actual contact with former real world B-314 aviators etc., he is a huge fan of the Clipper, and from what I gather, none of the reference material points to a shiny mirror like metal body as you seem to be suggesting.

Also, PBR can make things look very different at different times of day in MSFS:

O1p6gx4.jpg

W9UJucr.jpg

OMrp8uv.jpg

Oa1lr3o.jpg

Regardless, we are taking all feedback on board and are very excited to have finally been able to release the PILOT'S B-314 Clipper for MSFS.

Jerome

Edited by PILOT'S
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, PILOT'S said:

Rob, my understanding is that the Clipper did not have a shiny mirror metal body like the former American Airlines silver livery. Stefan, the CEO of PILOT'S, has half a room filled with B-314 memorabilia, reference material, letters of his actual contact with former real world B-314 aviators etc., he is a huge fan of the Clipper, and from what I gather, none of the reference material points to a shiny mirror like metal body as you seem to be suggesting.

Regardless, we are taking all feedback on board and are very excited to have finally been able to release the PILOT'S B-314 Clipper for MSFS.

Jerome

Sorry Jerome - yes, I was actually agreeing, but re-reading my post, it seems ambiguous.  I meant from the 'real life' pictures I have seen (not your screen shots) - the finish is exactly how you describe, and how it is on your model.

I have edited that post for clarity...

'I thought the silver finish should have been natural metal and reflect more, but the real life pictures I have seen do indeed seem to show this flat silver paint finish'.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PILOT'S said:

Also, PBR can make things look very different at different times of day in MSFS:

Jerome

Looks like you did the whole cabin with this version, is this correct?.  The FS Official forums show the cabin but not the Pilot's website so I'm a bit confused.  If you did then finally after all these years since the real one flew we have a fully rendered B314, I'm all in...😎👍

Edited by Dillon

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

16 minutes ago, Dillon said:

Looks like you did the whole cabin with this version, is this correct?.  The FS Official forums show the cabin but not the Pilot's website so I'm a bit confused.  If you did then finally after all these years since the real one flew we have a fully rendered B314, I'm all in...😎👍

Dillon yes, we did model the cabin! For reasons of FPS fluidity not in the same incredible detail as the VC, but what you have seen in the official forums is correct.

We currently do not have any exits that open up, this functionality will be added in the future. I have myself added a considerable amount of detail and functionality to the VC since it was delivered to us by SimWorks Studios, such as click-moveable armrests for easier access to the mixture lever, gyropilot lever and throttles, I have integrated hide yoke clickspots, copilot hide-unhide functionality, basic gyropilot implementation with functional gyropilot servo pressure etc.

Due to the real B-314 having a cockpit crew of 4 and the sheer amount of space made available for them, the B-314 VC is vast and much larger than what we see today in commercial airliners. I think you will be impressed by the attention to detail in the VC, as well as the level of cabin replication we offer in our just released PILOT'S Boeing B-314 for MSFS.

Jerome

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PILOT'S said:

Dillon yes, we did model the cabin! For reasons of FPS fluidity not in the same incredible detail as the VC, but what you have seen in the official forums is correct.

We currently do not have any exits that open up, this functionality will be added in the future. I have myself added a considerable amount of detail and functionality to the VC since it was delivered to us by SimWorks Studios, such as click-moveable armrests for easier access to the mixture lever, gyropilot lever and throttles, I have integrated hide yoke clickspots, copilot hide-unhide functionality, basic gyropilot implementation with functional gyropilot servo pressure etc.

Due to the real B-314 having a cockpit crew of 4 and the sheer amount of space made available for them, the B-314 VC is vast and much larger than what we see today in commercial airliners. I think you will be impressed by the attention to detail in the VC, as well as the level of cabin replication we offer in our just released PILOT'S Boeing B-314 for MSFS.

Jerome

Thanks Jerome for the clarification.  Do you offer preset viewpoints from various sections of the cabin so one doesn't have to scroll all the way through the cabin to view the whole thing? Also to add to what you wrote above we need opening doors not only concerning the exits but the door that leads into/out of the cockpit.  Looking forward the opening doors getting addressed/implemented.🙂

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Jerome- I would very much appreciate some detailed photos/video of the VC and the start sequence.

I have waited for a Night Over Water for a long time now, and am hoping to be a customer. 

Ta- C

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper