Sign in to follow this  
Soulflight

Will we ever see something like CBs with live weather?

I write this because i just opened up a flight with MSFS live weather where the "flight conditions" window is showing the lightning image, after loading however I find my plane standing in nice sunshine with maybe 2/10 fair weather cloud coverage....but dramatic thunder sounds audible all the time, including lightning strikes coming out of clear sky.
Now live weather is perfectly capable of giving us towering dark clouds to an exaggerated degree when its just rainy weather in northern hemispheres. But for some reason this doesnt work with the local TS cells that are very common in summer or tropical regions. Also, on airliner cruise level, I have never seen any CBs so far.

Flight-Simulator-2023-03-12-14-39-51.png

Is that ever scheduled to be fixed with asobo or will we have to wait for another 3 years until someone programs a payware tool running in the background and relying on a mandatory monthly subscription to some weather service?

Edited by Soulflight

In my opinion the greatest thing msfs needs right now is a dedicated W&A (weather and atmosphere) update. 

• Like 13
  • Upvote 3

I haven't seen lightning in MSFS for a long time. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

"what lightning in clear skies bug?" The famous facepalm inducing words of an early Q&A from the Dev team, they tweaked back the lightning far to much trying to fix this issue then the SU7 METAR weather downgrade made it worse, but ssshhh you're not allowed to criticise Asobo!

Thunderstorms were depicted very well in the early days, but since the above changes happened they've become very weak, I still do see them and sometimes they can be good, but nowhere near as good as they used to be.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

1 hour ago, jer2929 said:

In my opinion the greatest thing msfs needs right now is a dedicated W&A (weather and atmosphere) update. 

I 1000% agree with this

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

And to give devs the possibility to access weather information, I really miss the weather radar on my flights atm

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, fgiraudo said:

And to give devs the possibility to access weather information, I really miss the weather radar on my flights atm

They are not listening....  Likely they restricted themselves by entering into some form of proprietary agreement, which appears to include protecting relevant SDK  information.  Same appears to have happened with avionics, and now with the recent AAUI may be restricting  charts (ex. Navigraph).

This is from the most recent Developmental Update (3/9/23) and it has been this way since the early days of MSFS 2020.
image.png.522976eab9f2bee2f9e0bccbdc1f0b38.png

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

1 hour ago, MarcG said:

"what lightning in clear skies bug?" The famous facepalm inducing words of an early Q&A from the Dev team, they tweaked back the lightning far to much trying to fix this issue then the SU7 METAR weather downgrade made it worse, but ssshhh you're not allowed to criticise Asobo!

Thunderstorms were depicted very well in the early days, but since the above changes happened they've become very weak, I still do see them and sometimes they can be good, but nowhere near as good as they used to be.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

30 minutes ago, fppilot said:

They are not listening....  Likely they restricted themselves by entering into some form of proprietary agreement, which appears to include protecting relevant SDK  information.  Same appears to have happened with avionics, and now with the recent AAUI may be restricting  charts (ex. Navigraph).

This is from the most recent Developmental Update (3/9/23) and it has been this way since the early days of MSFS 2020.
image.png.522976eab9f2bee2f9e0bccbdc1f0b38.png

They are having a discussion with their weather provider this year (I think it was this month actually) in terms of the data as there was a lot of talk about improving what devs can have access to so they can make good weather radars. 

We will have to see if anything comes from it.

Also, I'm pretty sure Navigraph can create their own plugin for AAU1 to bring charts back for those planes - They are probably just waiting for the plugin system to have documentation.

Edited by Zangoose

Matt

Vote for better camera support in MSFS: https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/t/camera-api/3077/29

30 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Same appears to have happened with avionics, and now with the recent AAUI may be restricting  charts (ex. Navigraph).

They are not restricting it, just they didn't program it in. Big difference.

Nothing to stop someone else (Navigraph for example) putting them back in.

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

1 hour ago, fgiraudo said:

Then why not reinstall your previous sim whatever it was. Ask yourself if the advantages of MSFS outweigh the disadvantages. Installing your other sim allows you to enjoy the things MSFS cannot deliver.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

26 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Then why not reinstall your previous sim whatever it was. Ask yourself if the advantages of MSFS outweigh the disadvantages. Installing your other sim allows you to enjoy the things MSFS cannot deliver.

As installing MSFS would also do the same for people using other platforms. Guess what, it is not that practical to maintain multiple sims, is it? I do it because it is my hobby, but, even then, I had to ditch P3D due to its instability and performance issues.

Personally, I have no problem with suggestions like these, but have already been harshly reprimanded by mods in the P3D forum for proposing something similar. Guess here it is allowed...

With that being said, WX RADAR is present on multiple MSFS aircraft, including complex ones like the A310 and pretty much all AAU-compatible planes. For sure there are improvements to be made to better support WASM modules, but the functionality is there.

Edited by GCBraun
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 3

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

22 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

As installing MSFS would also do the same for people using other platforms. Guess what, it is not that practical to maintain multiple sims, is it? I do it because it is my hobby, but, even then, I had to ditch P3D due to its instability and performance issues.

That question hasn’t been asked but had it the same suggestion would have been made by me. Consider the pros and cons of each and decide what’s important to you. I have v3 and v5 of P3D simply for 32-bit Concorde. That will end soon and one sim will be much better.

I’ve not had any problems with v5 in a long time. NVCleanstall fixed my DXGI problems.

22 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

Personally, I have no problem with suggestions like these, but have already been harshly reprimanded by mods in the P3D forum for proposing something similar. Guess here it is allowed...

Maybe it’s not what you said but the way you said it. My suggestion was perfectly reasonable as I didn’t mention any sim.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

It would be helpful if someone provided metar and airport icao code for starters. Just a picture from 3rd party up really doesn't tell much. On my end weather works ok. Yes cumulus nimbus not necessarily look like I see them IRL, and  I haven't seen lighting for a while. But precipitation, wind gusts, turbulence and tops are seem not that far

unknown.png?width=2235&height=1257

image.png?width=2235&height=1257

unknown.png?width=2235&height=1257

• Upvote 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

We need a moderator in this forum who actually own MSFS ! We have P3D autocracy don't you think? LOL

• Like 11
  • Upvote 3

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI