Sign in to follow this  
Mace

Help! Whole screen flashes white when mousing over 2D panels!

These things are never just the driver or just the application but an unfortunate clash between the two, which could be caused by either one of them behaving in an unexpected way. There's no way application or game developers can test with every single driver out there, particularly ones that haven't been released yet.Having said that, given that the bug is seen with several different drivers and cards, the FSX code does seem to be the most likely target for a fix. I have the problem too and I agree it's annoying.Is it my imagination or did this problem not exist before SP1?Colin

>Hi,>>I just swapped out my nvidia geforce 7600gtko for an ATI>Radeon X1650 pro, installed the latest ATI drivers from>http://ati.amd.com and the problem with the white-flashing of>the screen when mousing over 2D panels persists. So... IMHO...>it absolutely cannot be a problem with the nvidia driver.. It>MUST be a bug in FSX.>>That is interesting and seems likely the more things are ruled out. However...A couple of things I would try:1) One other thing I would do, is get and install the latest Direct3D redist from Microsoft. I forgot to mention that I *also* did that.2) see if the problem persists with AA turned off.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest Marlin Manhiem

It was happening before and after SP1.Not much of a problem as I fly only in the VC, but it is still a pain. Now as far as the drivers goes, this same problem used to cause a CTD, but one of those ATI updates took care of that problem. I guess that is what cured it.What would really be nice to have a tool tips check box for the 2D panels and another tool tips check box for the VC.

I get the same problem on my Dell D810 laptop with ATI X300 mobility 64 mb graphics card. Except it's not related to tooltips. My problem is with screen overlays (text written on the screen, popping up 2D panels) and when I change attitude quickly in large increments (like when doing a loop it flashes when the nose goes up past the horizon).I don't get this problem on my desktop 8800 GTS 640 mb graphics card system. Funny thing is, tooltips work fine on my laptop (and 8800).I feel like it is a relatively new problem, and am afraid I changed some setting somewhere, either on my graphics card or in FSX. But I've tried everything I can think of and nothing has fixed it.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

It seems related to loading of the proper font for tooltips. Look closely to the font type when a tooltip appears, it has to be a very small font. Sometimes its a bit different and bit bigger, and then the if you click it the flashing will appear.Regards, Gerrit

Guest jrobert

>It seems related to loading of the proper font for tooltips.>Look closely to the font type when a tooltip appears, it has>to be a very small font. Sometimes its a bit different and bit>bigger, and then the if you click it the flashing will>appear.>>Regards, >>GerritHi,I don't have to click anything to get the flashing to appear. All I have to do is move my mouse over a 2D panel and let the tool-tip appear. After it appears, about a half-second later i'll get the flashing. So the tool-tip is only visible for about a half-second before the flashing occurs.I'm not sure what you say about it loading the proper font for the tool-tip - a half-second is too fast for me to really notice what kind of font is being used.

Guest jrobert

>1) One other thing I would do, is get and install the latest>Direct3D redist from Microsoft. I forgot to mention that I>*also* did that.>>2) see if the problem persists with AA turned off.Hi,I just downloaded/installed the August 2007 D3D redist from Microsoft and tested for the tool-tip flashing - still there. :(As for AA, I always have that turned off anyway for better graphics performance.

Hi Joshua,maybe it happened only when moving over a gauge, i can't recall exactly because it hasn't happened for a long time. Since i changed from the default planes to add-on ones i think. But for me i'm sure, it was related to the font of the tooltip. So maybe it helps to change something in font setting, like from standard to cleartype or vice-versa.edit:A while ago i also changed my habits from starting the sim in fullscreen to starting it in windowed mode and then switch to full screen. That might be another solution. Just for what it's worth :)Regards, Gerrit

>>I don't have to click anything to get the flashing to appear.>All I have to do is move my mouse over a 2D panel and let the>tool-tip appear. After it appears, about a half-second later>i'll get the flashing. Yes that is just what I was seeing. Try installing an older video card driver, like I did...and see if that solves it.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB