Sign in to follow this  
Jazz

5800X > 5800X3D Question

46 minutes ago, cianpars said:

Your findings as you describe in your post pretty much concur with what I am seeing from the same upgrade.  Not sure what GPU you are using but I have an RTX3080.

3090, so similar to you my CPU was the limiting factor in many cases, especially since I play in 2K resolution.

• Like 1

Aorus Master X570 / 5800x3d w/ Arctic Freezer ii 280 / Asus TUF 3090 w/ gigabyte BIOS / 2x16GB b-die @ 3600Mhz 

When I upgraded my 5800 to 5800x3D (with 3090, 4K, LOD 400) I went from around 58-60 FPS on my typical test flight (no scenery or AI traffic, clear weather) to 65-72 FPS which was around a 10FPS increase. This was back mid-last year on DX11 before any of the latest DX12 stuff came out.  It was well worth it at the time for two reasons, one, the cost of the CPU after reselling my 5800 wasn't that much, I think maybe net $200?  And at that time, every single FPS was gold.  Now, you can just buy a 4000 series GPU and effectively double your FPS with DLSS3 so that might be the better option. I ultimately added a 4000 series GPU so now I'm consistently running at my display's max refresh rate on that same test flight mentioned above which is arguably overkill, but it does buy me some much needed FPS boost when you start layering on AI traffic, live weather, lots of scenery, etc.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2023 at 6:58 PM, Virtual-Chris said:

When I upgraded my 5800 to 5800x3D (with 3090, 4K, LOD 400) I went from around 58-60 FPS on my typical test flight (no scenery or AI traffic, clear weather) to 65-72 FPS which was around a 10FPS increase. This was back mid-last year on DX11 before any of the latest DX12 stuff came out.  It was well worth it at the time for two reasons, one, the cost of the CPU after reselling my 5800 wasn't that much, I think maybe net $200?  And at that time, every single FPS was gold.  Now, you can just buy a 4000 series GPU and effectively double your FPS with DLSS3 so that might be the better option. I ultimately added a 4000 series GPU so now I'm consistently running at my display's max refresh rate on that same test flight mentioned above which is arguably overkill, but it does buy me some much needed FPS boost when you start layering on AI traffic, live weather, lots of scenery, etc.

That's the kind of improvement I am sort of expecting to get from it and if I do I would be happy with it. I'm not in the market for yet another preposterously priced GPU especially for the use of DLSS which I wouldn't use for the same reasons I don't use FSR and that is I can't stand the loss of image quality of these techniques. It's not there yet as far as I'm concerned. Also, DX12 is a no go for me at the moment. Although it runs better in everyway it has one problem which prevents me using it and that is the airport ground textures keep vanishing with it on. I wish they would fix this problem already.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

You are already on an am4 board, so no need for new mobo and ram to use 5800x3d. 7800x3d will give approximately %20-30 gain for msfs in comparison with 5800x3d. But you will need to new mobo and ram. So you will pay a bit more, on the other hand you will be on next gen until 2025, probably you will be able to use next gen cpu too with am5 mb. So it is your choice.

Edited by spitzer45

C. Uygar

Aircraft Maint. Engineer. at LTFJ

13 hours ago, Jazz said:

That's the kind of improvement I am sort of expecting to get from it and if I do I would be happy with it. I'm not in the market for yet another preposterously priced GPU especially for the use of DLSS which I wouldn't use for the same reasons I don't use FSR and that is I can't stand the loss of image quality of these techniques. It's not there yet as far as I'm concerned. Also, DX12 is a no go for me at the moment. Although it runs better in everyway it has one problem which prevents me using it and that is the airport ground textures keep vanishing with it on. I wish they would fix this problem already.

Forget DLSS -- as you probably know there is another thing called Frame Generation that has no visual problems in MSFS but increases frame rate tremendously.  The only drawback is it's only available on the nvidia 4xxx gpu's and to get a decent one (4080) you're talking at least $1,100.

I think in your case if you are happy with the 10-20% gains then by all means 5800X3D.  Pretty soon the "new" 5800X3D's will sell out and your only option will be a used one.  If I had an AM4 setup I'd do 5800X3D.  Max out that platform for cheap.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

22 hours ago, spitzer45 said:

You are already on an am4 board, so no need for new mobo and ram to use 5800x3d. 7800x3d will give approximately %20-30 gain for msfs in comparison with 5800x3d. But you will need to new mobo and ram. So you will pay a bit more, on the other hand you will be on next gen until 2025, probably you will be able to use next gen cpu too with am5 mb. So it is your choice.

Thanks but I'm fully aware of all of that which is why i'm asking what peoples performance gains were when switching from the 5800X to the 5800X3D. I'm trying to work out which most appeals to me. 😉

If I upgrade to a 5800X3D the chances are I will not be upgrading the rest of the rig until after 2025 and may miss AM5 entirely. I'm just trying to weigh up my options.

9 hours ago, Mace said:

I think in your case if you are happy with the 10-20% gains then by all means 5800X3D.  Pretty soon the "new" 5800X3D's will sell out and your only option will be a used one.  If I had an AM4 setup I'd do 5800X3D.  Max out that platform for cheap.

This is currently where I'm leaning. GIven the current performance I'm getting in games and flight sim I'm confident that with a 5800X3D I will be able to get top gaming experience for the next 2-3 years without too much concern for an upgrade until then.

I can see myself picking one up in the next month or so.

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

If you dont have a budget problem, you can go with 7800x3d, because you will probably use next gen cpu too with new am5 platform. I'm now using 10700k with rtx 4090... even with frame generation on sim is stuttering if the actual fps are below 30's because of high cpu response times, So i am eagerly waiting for 7800x3d. 

Edited by spitzer45

C. Uygar

Aircraft Maint. Engineer. at LTFJ

12 hours ago, spitzer45 said:

If you dont have a budget problem

I wish 🤣