Sign in to follow this  
ErichB

Head Tracking Poll

Head Tracking Poll  

251 members have voted

1. 1. Which head tracking device do you use?

• Track IR
    • Tobii Eye Tracker
    • Another type
    • None

6 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

Using the thumb switch of my warthog  joystick which puts me in the ‘none’ category I suppose 😁.

I understand the angular rotation is not in a 1:1 ratio but I have always wondered how it feels like to rotate the physical head, say of 45° to the left, to bring your virtual head to a 120° left rotation, having your eyeballs all the way to the right corner to still grasp a clear view of your screen.

Maybe because I have a not so good eyesight. Too  cautious ? I may try the Tobii gizmo though with Amazon return policy.

When using a 48" oled gaming monitor my eyes are still looking straight at the screen even if my head is turned 30 to 45 degrees. A large screen is essential 

800driver.jpg

Chris Ibbotson

13 minutes ago, cj-ibbotson said:

When using a 48" oled gaming monitor my eyes are still looking straight at the screen even if my head is turned 30 to 45 degrees. A large screen is essential 

Thanks, I thought that much but was not sure. 

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

24 minutes ago, cj-ibbotson said:

I often pause TrackIR using a mapped side button on my mouse. Never has my view reset to centre on pause. Used to be a setting on Chaseplane years ago to toggle this in P3D but not seen such an option on MSFS. Do you have an addon camera app like FS Realistic causing the TIR reset?

My statement was in reference to using Tobii in MSFS. That's precisely why I favour TrackIR in MSFS; I can pause the head tracking at what I'm looking at. When using Tobii in MSFS -- which depends on the settings directly in MSFS to configure -- the view resets back to the default forward view and I've not found any setting that prevents that. Whereas, in X-Plane 12 -- which uses settings built into Tobii Game Hub -- you can tick a box that keeps the view locked to what you were looking at when you paused head tracking.

• Upvote 1

I like my Track IR5 also have had it for about a decade.

Recently got into VR too though.  There's good things and bath things about each.

If I had more clarity in my headset I'd give up TIR probably forever.  We're close but I think another gen or two of VR headsets should do it.

There is a downside of VR that's tough to get around....no charts in cockpit.  Some have it integrated but charts and a scratch pad would be awesome.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Delan Clip. Works really well with MSFS, Elite Dangerous, American/Euro Truck Simulator, etc Attaches to headphones.

It uses a PS3 camera connected via USB. No fuss.

I can't/won't do VR. Too many controls/buttons in several different sims etc that it won't work for me. Having the Alpha/Bravo does a great deal of controls/buttons but some of my games/sims (Like Elite) don't have Virtual Cockpits per se. Then again, I use my T16000 combo for that.

• Like 1

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---

I have to add my two cents of using Grass Monkey Head tracker. It's very similar to the Devan Clip, but all of the components needed are in a kit for about 1/3 of the price of TIR. Great support as well. Works well not only with MSFS but with ETS and ATS as well. It's a very acceptable alternative, it's wireless and I use rechargeable batteries that last weeks between charging.

I9-10850K, Mugen 5 cooler, Gigagbyte Aorus Z490 Master, 2TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2, 1TB Samsung 970 Plus, 2TB Samsung 870evo, Corsair RM-850, G-Skill DDR-4 3600, Lian Li LanCool Mesh, Nvidia 4080FE, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, MFG Crosswind pedals, Win10 Pro

So, on a lark I picked up the Tobii eye tracker. I've been using TrackIR for as long as I remember. My current unit is more than 10 years old. I've tried setting up the Tobii in MSFS using some of the recommendation on YouTube. One thing I've noticed is that there seems to be just a bit of a lag when panning. Another issue I have is even when my head is still it seems like the view has a tendency to drift which can make it difficult when programming the CDU or flipping switches. Do any of you have settings that you feel really work for you? Any help would be appreciated. 

NAX669.png

On 3/14/2023 at 8:54 PM, ryanbatc said:

There is a downside of VR that's tough to get around....no charts in cockpit.  Some have it integrated but charts and a scratch pad would be awesome.

I agree with your stated shortcomings with IR. But if you have a Navigraph subscription, you can use their in-sim charts app in VR and it's relatively decent option.

Additionally, you might take a peek at Sky4Sim (they have a free version that you can take for a spin). You can supply .pdf charts and it has a notepad feature (along with many other features). I find the app indispensable for VR flying.

2 hours ago, Malaromane said:

I agree with your stated shortcomings with IR. But if you have a Navigraph subscription, you can use their in-sim charts app in VR and it's relatively decent option.

Additionally, you might take a peek at Sky4Sim (they have a free version that you can take for a spin). You can supply .pdf charts and it has a notepad feature (along with many other features). I find the app indispensable for VR flying.

I wasnt aware of either of these.  I mean I'm aware if navigraph but you're saying their charts are visible while in VR?  That would be a huge plus.  I don't have a sub anymore because I fly mostly in USA and Canada.  But I'd consider re-upping for that.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

12 hours ago, mwilk said:

So, on a lark I picked up the Tobii eye tracker. I've been using TrackIR for as long as I remember. My current unit is more than 10 years old. I've tried setting up the Tobii in MSFS using some of the recommendation on YouTube. One thing I've noticed is that there seems to be just a bit of a lag when panning. Another issue I have is even when my head is still it seems like the view has a tendency to drift which can make it difficult when programming the CDU or flipping switches. Do any of you have settings that you feel really work for you? Any help would be appreciated. 

When I first started using Tobii I found the drifting issue very annoying. It was because I had the "Eye vs Head Tracking Ratio" set below 1.00. I found that even a slight adjustment below that value (eg.   .98 or even .99) would cause my view to drift either left or right depending on where my eyes wandered. By setting it to 1.00 it in effect eliminates the drift when I move my eyes.

• Like 2

i913900KF (5.8GHz) | Case: Fractal PopAir RGB I MSI Z790-VC | MSI Gaming RTX 4070Ti Super 16GB | Kingston Fury Beast 32GB DDR5 | SOLIDIGM P41 Plus 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD | Samsung SSD 870 EVO 2TB | Thermalright Frozen Notte 240 MM Liquid Cooling | Samsung 41" Monitor 1920 x 1080 60Hz | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Logitech G Pro pedals | Tobii EyeTracker

The Tobii is a generation above trackir. My trackir served me well for 20years but the Tobii is so much easier to use and adjust. No wires, and I can look 360 degrees without it losing focus. 

On 3/15/2023 at 1:54 AM, ryanbatc said:

I came across this video lately: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCnGwW_o2r0&t=488s

It demonstrates how reality and VR could be mixed in order to read charts or operate controllers.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

14 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

I wasnt aware of either of these.  I mean I'm aware if navigraph but you're saying their charts are visible while in VR?  That would be a huge plus.  I don't have a sub anymore because I fly mostly in USA and Canada.  But I'd consider re-upping for that.

Navigraph released a Charts app that runs directly in MSFS and is accessible via the MSFS menu bar. It works in both 2D and 3D mode. I pop the Charts window open and position it on the passenger seat. Works well for me.