Sign in to follow this  
Quijote

CTDs when using FSUIPC and P2A

I post this in case anyone else is experiencing the same CTDs. My rig, 13900, RTX4090, 64GB 5500 RAM. SU12 beta latest. P2A beta latest. FSUIPC latest. I typically fly VR - two FS Economy missions daily in 3rd party aircraft (not Asobo stock). My simconnect connections are complicated with a Buttkicker, Navigraph Charts, P2A, FS Realistic, FS Traffic, FS Economy and my VR rig - HP G2 with Windows Mixed Reality. I realize that there are a million possible combinations of these things that could cause a CTD.

My CTDs typically happen after at least a half hour flying - around the time for the descent and approach. The actually CTD seems to have various triggers - touching the autopilot, changing my view suddenly, touching other controls in the cockpit - it varies. But the result is that the VR headset suddenly goes dark and a few seconds later MSFS disappears from my screen as well. However, I can still hear motors. Often I have to go into Steam to close MSFS or use the Task Manager to do it. This has been going on for several weeks and I complete about 1 out of 4 flights. I tried all kinds of combinations - running in Safe Mode (works fine but obviously no P2A with that). I eliminated Traffic, Charts, Buttkicker, etc. to see if I could find the cause. The Event Viewer variously blamed MSFS, FSUIPC, and P2A. It varied each time, but I began to suspect the FSUIPC combination.

When I stopped using FSUIPC and P2A, I started having perfect flights. Not a single crash in days now with all of the complicated stuff running.

I have used P2A for many years with no problems. I write this to see if anyone else is having a similar problem - which would prompt Dave to get involved. I dunno. Perhaps it is my complicated system, but what are you seeing?

For what it's worth, I have now completed 10 long flights with FS Economy using ALL the above connections EXCEPT P2A and FSUIPC. And I just successfully completed a flight with NeoFly that hasn't worked with P2A for more than a month.  No CTD since I stopped using P2A and FSUIPC.

I tried the default MSFS ATC. Gaaaag! Horrible! So I am flying silent, but finishing all my flights.

Today I loaded a long flight and in addition to all the other mods I use, I added the latest FSUIPC and the latest beta P2A.  CTD after an hour flying. The event viewer blamed MSFS, but FSUIPC and P2A were running. Tomorrow I will try the same flight without ATC..

This morning I flew the Honda Jet 475 miles without ATC and landed without incident.

Edited by Quijote

I suspect you may be running out of Memory or CPU resources, causing MSFS to crash.  Memory is the most likely culprit.

You could monitor Task Manager and if Memory usage is running above 75%, then that is a likely cause of the crashes as memory usage can spike and cause a crash.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I have 64GB of 5500 memory and it is not even close to being utilized.  My CPU utilization runs about 20-25 percent in Task Manager.

I just flew from KCLT to KFRN 3 times. The first time with P2A and FSUIPC. I crashed after 45 minutes. The second time I was going to try without P2A,  but habits are hard to break and after starting my PC and setting a flight plan in Navigraph Charts, I accidentally loaded P2A. but correcting myself, I closed P2A and started the flight. It crashed after an hour. I looked and saw that FSUIPC was still loaded since it launched itself automatically. So I renamed FSUIPC.exe and rebooted. The third flight was perfect. I even used 2X time compression. 

So I am seeing FSUIPC as the app that I cannot run if I want to finish a long flight. I wonder if an older version of FSUIPC would work better since the only thing I use it for is to connect with P2A.....

You should probably contact John Dowson the FSUIPC dev at FSUIPC.com.  MSFS makes changes that sometimes cause FSUIPC to have issues.

Dave

Yeah, I sent John an email, but gave him a link to this forum for the lengthy details.  Now I am wondering if an email from an unknown person with a link to another page might not get opened......

I'll try again in a few days if he doesn't answer....

I get random crashes, also 64GB of ram, running a 5900X and a 3090. No idea if its FSUIPC related though. It seems random.

There is a new FSUIPC out. It doesn't connect to P2A. In place of the old FSUIPC splash screen, there is now a quick flash of a different flash screen but it never actually shows. What shows in Task Manager is not FSUIPC. Instead it says "IPC Interface and More, for MSFS". Great, but P2A doesn't connect to the sim! There is a message "Recognition Engine Installed" and "Simulator Connected" but then a popup appears saying "Aircraft position cannot be found. There must be a problem with your connection to the sim". It doesn't tune ATIS nor does the yellow plane show on the map. Nada!

I installed the latest FSUIPC and I'm getting the regular splash screen, and it works fine with P2A.

Thinking I had erred in the installation, I installed again (as administrator) and loaded MSFS. I got the same result as above. So I terminated the new FSUIPC and loaded an older version that I had renamed. That version loaded correctly and connected with the yellow plane and the ATIS for the airport. 

You might want to report this to John Dowson on the FSUIPC.com website so he can see what might be wrong with the latest FSUIPC build.

Dave