Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

How much would you compromise to fly your favourite acft?

3 hours ago, GCBraun said:

Just for the record, this is totally possible with the built-in camera systems on all platforms besides P3D. I have multiple (internal and external) custom cameras programmed that are activated by pressing either a key or joystick button on all sims that I use. 

I suppose it depends on how long it took you to achieve that. In ChasePlane I can create a new view in under a minute. And are your settings global or aircraft specific?

I do find it odd that element of the SDK wasn’t opened up to third parties.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I suppose it depends on how long it took you to achieve that. In ChasePlane I can create a new view in under a minute. And are your settings global or aircraft specific?

I do find it odd that element of the SDK wasn’t opened up to third parties.

Everything is aircraft specific, from cameras to controls, be it on XP12 or MSFS. On XP12 and MSFS a new view is created by just pressing a button to memorize the camera to that location and to bind it to another specific key or button. It takes literally one second.

If no ground-breaking changes are to be expected with P3D V6, perhaps they could just offer basic functionalities like live weather, custom controls and improved cameras to lower the barriers to entry into the platform.

Edited by GCBraun

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

17 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

Everything is aircraft specific, from cameras to controls, be it on DCS, XP12 or MSFS.

That seems at odds with what I’ve read in the past. Maybe they improved the process. Thanks.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

6 hours ago, GCBraun said:

MSFS, on the other hand, offers an astonishing high value for the base package, including default aircraft that are unheard of in terms of complexity and navigation capabilities. The base simulator with AAU1, has photo scenery for the whole world, over 100 hand-crafted airports, and multiple advanced default aircraft that can be happily used by experienced users.

For starters, yes, I admit default MSFS is better equiped, but we're risking a "my sim is better than yours" discussion.

6 hours ago, GCBraun said:

Just for the record, this is totally possible with the built-in camera systems on all platforms besides P3D. I have multiple (internal and external) custom cameras programmed that are activated by pressing either a key or joystick button on all sims that I use. 

How did you manage to switch to a custom view in MSFS without any transitions (i.e., instantaneously, with no panning)? The code in cameras.cfg (which is similar to the one in FSX/P3D) does not work.

Edited by Luis Hernandez

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

11 minutes ago, Luis Hernandez said:

How did you manage to switch to a custom view in MSFS without any transitions (i.e., instantaneously, with no panning)? The code in cameras.cfg (which is similar to the one in FSX/P3D) does not work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vUZL-QG4V8&t=940s

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

6 hours ago, IanHarrison said:

At 60/2, through NVidia panel setting, it has no effect on my PC.

I agree. I have not used VSync almost from the start of P3D. I get steady fps set at 37, 1/2 of my monitor's 75hz  refresh rate.

Sherm

30 minutes ago, Luis Hernandez said:

Just see the video linked above. I have configured the camera controls on the sim's menu to better suit my liking and not it is ridiculously easy not only to create and change cameras, but also to move within the cockpit and cabin.

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

9 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

Just see the video linked above. I have configured the camera controls on the sim's menu to better suit my liking and not it is ridiculously easy not only to create and change cameras, but also to move within the cockpit and cabin.

I've set my views according to the video. I'm not complaining about that.

My issue, as shown in this video, is that the camera pans to the view I select, instead of switching immediately. If you managed to prevent this issue, please let me know. 

3 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

In ChasePlane I can create a new view in under a minute. And are your settings global or aircraft specific?

Ray, in ChasePlane do the views switch instantaneously or there's a transition? I use the default FSX/P3D method (editing cameradefinitions in aircraft.cfg, and assigning hotkeys to it), and the views appear instantaneously.

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

27 minutes ago, Luis Hernandez said:

Ray, in ChasePlane do the views switch instantaneously or there's a transition? I use the default FSX/P3D method (editing cameradefinitions in aircraft.cfg, and assigning hotkeys to it), and the views appear instantaneously.

Luis, there is an option to change the transition. I generally leave it on default unless I’m particularly bored. 😁

When looking around a virtual cockpit a transition that takes up to 1 second is preferable to an instant change.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 3/20/2023 at 9:55 AM, Ray Proudfoot said:

That seems at odds with what I’ve read in the past. Maybe they improved the process. Thanks.

It's been aircraft specific from day 1 in MSFS. Not sure if it was always in XP12.

As for the original question, I stayed on p3d v3 for at least a year so I could still fly the Eaglesoft Citation v2. P3d v5 is still installed in case I fancy a flight in the FSW Lear. Plus I've literally just purchased XP so I can fly the Challenger (And absolutely blown away by that one).

So in my case I'd go quite a way!..

G

• Upvote 1

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

I don't feel like I've any compromise going at all...

Infact personally it's never been better.

New powerful hardware (a 5800X Ryzen & 3800Ti Nvidia) and 3 x 30 hz capable monitors have opened the skys with a smoothness with a settings ramp up to almost the max achievable in both the sliders and in the config files.

Plus not only do I have all my major Orbx stuff built up starting from FSX days, there is also more planes than I ever thought I'd be able to afford sitting installed in my 28 xml discovery paths.

And I am just enjoying flying them all, which is going to take some time 🙂

Cheers

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

Nearly a year on from a failed P3D v5 reinstall onto new hardware and a subsequent move to 'that other sim', I decided I wanted to try a decent long-haul airliner again.
Having reinstalled P3D from scratch, I spent a full day on Saturday getting P3D back to a similar state to which I had it (see my signature below) in order to take both the PMDG 777 and QW787 out of the hangar.

As nice as it was to have a few spins in each aircraft and to be able to use historical weather, there's just far too many aspects to MSFS that I prefer over P3D.

Having migrated from FS9 straight to P3D v4, I can understand people's preference to stay on a flight sim platform that suits their needs/preferences.
Yet, in the same way that I would not use FS9 after making the switch to P3D v4, I no longer have any desire to fire-up P3D v5 when I have MSFS.

How much would you compromise to fly your favourite acft?

Turns out, very little, if anything.

Let's see what P3D v6 brings.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

17 minutes ago, F737MAX said:

there's just far too many aspects to MSFS that I prefer over P3D.

Without wishing to turn this into another sim debate I’m curious what you preferred in MSFS when flying an IFR plan and six miles up.

Having flown Concorde from Birmingham to Gran Canaria in 32-bit P3Dv3 over the weekend returning to v5.3 this morning was a revelation.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Although I didn't have any really  "serious" airliners in P3Dv4, I did do a few IFR flights with the Aerosoft Airbuses between medium airports. Aerosoft Airbus packages are certainly not "study-level" like an FSL or a PMDG, but they are not "low-level / default / unrealistic" either, and they were enough for my usage of IFR flight plans.

I can understand the feeling related by F737MAX above. Ray, your opinion about the irrelevancy of ground scenery is more or less valid for Concorde flights 99% above the ocean, ok. But in IFR "normal" airliners, you've got plenty of time to contemplate the ground scenery and the weather, at least during cruise and approaches. For both these aspects, and despite the lack of historical weather, MSFS will make the global experience more pleasant than in P3D. Especially when flying out of the areas covered by the few sceneries in the library.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Without wishing to turn this into another sim debate I’m curious what you preferred in MSFS when flying an IFR plan and six miles up.

Simple. Not all phases of flight are conducted at FL320 or higher.
On approach or while banked in a turn, I can clearly see the ground/sea through the cockpit main and side windows. Additionally, at cruise altitude, I may choose a wingview or pop outside for a look at the part of the World I'm overflying.

I've always passionately disliked landclass textures, so I have over 4TB of photoscenery downloaded for P3D. Nonetheless, I'm geographically limited by the photoscenery coverage that I've downloaded, unlike with MSFS.

Anyway, there's far more than just scenery that keeps me on MSFS.
No sim is perfect, therefore the one that ticks the most boxes for you personally, is the one to use more frequently.

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter