Sign in to follow this  
Guest awheeler

Desktop Icons/shortcuts "positions" ... saving?

I have many MSFS9 and MSFSX icons/shortcuts on my monitor.All in specific positions.When I change resolutions they all "scatter" and it takes 20 minutes to relocate them all back to where I want them.I use ATI Catalyst and their software cannot save / remember desktop icon position information for various resolutions.I know IOMEGA drivers/software will do it but at present I am using the ATI Catalyst software.Anyone know if freeware/payware software that will do it?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Guest jshyluk

I have a similar problem. Sometimes when I use legacy software, my screen resolution gets "improved" for me automatically, and my icons go all over the place. I just group all of my icons into folders. There's fewer folders than icons, so it's easier to find what I want. I realize this may sound condescending, and that's not my intent at all. I just ended up changing my filing system to what Windows expects of me, and organizing the icons became happier.Another tactic, you could try changing the names of your icons to go alphanumerically, like "FS9" becomes "AAA_FS9" and "FSX" becomes "AAB_FSX". That way, you can just press the Arrange Icon button, and your icons will all line up the way you want them. Jeff ShylukSenior Staff Reviewer, Avsim

>http://www.enterra-soft.com/download.shtml>>Enterra icon keeper. Just download the freeware version. I>used to use it all the time. It's lightweight and handy. Ok!Thanks to everyone for the inputs here.All good ideas.CoolDude:I think I will try this freeware first. Thanks.If it saves the desktop icon locations in "various" settings (1024x768 / 1280x960 etc) I will go from the freeware to shareware.

Best Regards,

>http://www.enterra-soft.com/download.shtml>>Enterra icon keeper. Just download the freeware version. I>used to use it all the time. It's lightweight and handy. Yep,Very good program. Works great. Easy to use.I downloaded and used the freeware version for an hour or so.Then I downloaded and registered the shareware (delux) version.$9.95 (US).

Best Regards,

>Do a web search for DIPS.EXE a free icon position saver...>no $$$ just function.>>http://210.212.144.2/dips/install.html>Thank you for the information. In the previous post I mentioned I did try the "freeware" version (no time limit) first. I loved the program so much that I later downloaded the Delux version and made the donation (registered it) to the programmer ... he well deserved the $9.95.

Best Regards,

Guest awheeler

And another option: IconSaver. I've been using it for a long time and it works great. I flip res between 800x600 and 1280x1024 and it never fails to restore the icons to where I want them. Cheap at $5.00.http://www.iconsaver.com/index.htmlAl Wheeler