Sign in to follow this  
wyodeacon

I don't know if this is a Honeycomb or MSFS Question

Since I don't know, I'll put it here. I recently bought MSFS 2020 (ms store) and am trying to set up my honeycomb bravo for single engine.  I have watched several videos and found the one I want to follow.  But I noticed something right away. In my menus, everything is upside down.  For instance:  throttle 2 mixture is above throttle 1, or Mixture 2 Axis is shown above Mixture 1 axis.  This probably does not make any difference, but it's a bit confusing when I'm trying to follow a video which shows them beginning with 1 and progressing to 4..  Any suggestions on how to correct this? 

Edited by wyodeacon
mistake-I have a tremor in my hands, hit wrong keys.

Are you just trying to set them up in MSFS Controls? Or are you using the Honeycomb config SW? Or are you using something like SPAD.neXt?

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

I'm just going in to the MSFS Controls.  I would include a screenshot, but I don't know how on this site.

7 hours ago, wyodeacon said:

I'm just going in to the MSFS Controls.  I would include a screenshot, but I don't know how on this site.

You can upload your screenshot to Postimages — free image hosting / image upload.
When adding a comment here, in the bottom right just above "Submit Reply" there is a button "insert image form URL" you can use to insert an image. Just use the full URL from Postimages.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

As a Honeycomb user, I have found its settings to be less than easy to use.  However, the question you present is completely within the MSFS programming.  You are right - in the end, it doesn't make any difference, but it is confusing.  My old Saitek controllers were not nearly as difficult to set up.

John Wingold

8 hours ago, wyodeacon said:

What I did was originally installed the Honeycomb configurator, then when I went to MSFS controls there were preset controls for both the Alpha and Bravo. Eventually though, I programmed everything except views in SPAD.neXt so that I could get automatic profile switching by aircraft. I also have a few buttons programmed in FSUIPC. SPAD is NOT easy to use but it is very versatile and for many payware planes you need to map some complex things like LVARS or K:EVENTS. 

[CPL]  I9-9900K @5.0GHz HT ON, Maximus XI Hero, ASUS TUF RTX4080 OC, 32GB DDR4 3200 14, 1TB NVMe SSD, 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 40" Samsung 4K TV, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Logitech Rudder Pedals, WIN11

10 hours ago, wyodeacon said:

I'll encourage you to go with SPAD.neXt or one of the other external control interpreters.  The MSFS control configurator is fine for single-axis throttle setups where the controls generally never change no matter what you're flying, but when you move to a 6-axis throttle you're going to need those axes to do different things for each plane. For example, axis 1 controlling the throttle, axis 2 handling the mixture and axis 3 working the prop pitch is fine for the single engine prop you're flying now, but what happens when you decide to fly the Baron?

Or when you move to a jet and need a spoilers axis? Yes, you can set different control schemes in MSFS, but you have to remember to go in and switch to the appropriate one every time, and you have to spend a lot of time configuring each one. Plus, there are things the MSFS control setup simply can't do that the external ones can because they "cheat" by allowing one input to send multiple commands, or monitor sim settings to alter control inputs where appropriate (for example, only allowing the reverser toggle to trigger if the plane is on the ground, because otherwise it's really easy to accidentally go into reverse when you don't want to by slipping past the very mild detent in the Bravo).

The external interpreters (I use SPAD) let you set specific controls schemes for each plane. SPAD then auto-detects what you're flying and changes the control scheme for you. And you can download control configs other people have created, so you don't even have to configure anything about 80% of the time. 

Although it's old, I've found this to be the best initial setup video for the bravo

Use the search function - it doesn't matter what order you do them in just as long as they match the hardware setup. Get the basics down first, then, if you want, you can move up to the more sophisticated settings using any of the various utilities like SPAD, etc.

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Thanks everyone!  I've had no problems so far, but it's just something extra to consider when setting the controls.

About Spad:  Do I download "Spad.Next" as the 14 day trial?  I notice the payware version is divided into different versions.  I assume the 14 day trial version is what they are calling the Complete Version? If I'm reading right, it seems to say that.

You must config your Honeycomb inside MSFS control options, one for type of plane you use, you dont need any external drivers, Windows make this job for you.

Any other intercept driver like Spad, make you, really crazy, and paying for it.

In my Win11 with Honeycomb Alpha, and Bravo, only need to make profiles for any plane you use, single engine atmospheric, multiple engine atmospheric, single engine turboprop, multi engine turboprop, two engines jetliner, four engines jetliner.

You must get time to make this six profiles, but when you get it, never again you  go out of there.

And I get others for my Tobii control view, but, you only need change those profiles inside MSFS before you select your plane.

Anyway, this works perfect for me... perhaps for others no...

Cheers my friend.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Bertus58 said:

You must get time to make this six profiles, but when you get it, never again you  go out of there.

Then you must remember to change it every time. Where spad , FSUIPC or AAO is automatic profile for each aircraft.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wyodeacon said:

Whew!  I can see Spad.Next is gonna take some time. 🙂

Yep, I have just completed my first three profiles today in Spad.Next. I nearly gave up, it all seemed quite complicated, but having bought the Cessna 414 I decided to try a bit harder. After watching many really excellent videos on their site and trying a lot of complete profiles and snippets made by others it all started to make sense. I have the Alpha partially programmed in MSFS (camera views, both aileron and elevator axis), the rest is in Spad.Next. Bravo is completely set up in Spad.Next and I even figured out how to use the one magnetos/starter key on the Alpha to turn on two engines one after another, not both at once. 🙂

Start slowly, I completed a single engine prop setup first andf used it as a template for the two engine prop setup. When I fly a one engine prop, I take off the second throttle, second prop and second mixture levers from Bravo - but I do not then move the remaing prop and mixture levers to the left. Much easier to maintain all the different setups! 

• Like 2

Spad has a very active discord server with lots of help from users and devs.  Also links to many helpful videos. It is a steep learning curve but for some payware it’s nearly the only way to get things to work. I am in no way affiliated just a user who also started out very frustrated and now I’m actually pretty good with it. 

• Upvote 1