Sign in to follow this  
rhodges

FSNav Snoozed and Lost

Well, for me at least anyway :-). I got tired of waiting for the FSX version of FSNav to come out (or even any news that it was still in the developmental oven for that fact). I've been using the shareware version of FS Commander for the last couple of weeks and was getting sick of having to reload it every 30 mins when it timed out.I finally realised on the weekend that if I am running FS Commander so much that the time out is bugging me, then maybe I was just finding it more useful than I cared to admit! One paid licence later and I am a happy camper. Yes, it's different than the FSNav that I am used to, but I am also finding neat things it does that FSNav doesn't (eg. shows AI on map and shows SIDs and STARs visually for selection).If anyone else is tired of waiting for FSNav, try the shareware version at the very least. Who knows, you might like it and swap teams like I did! (and no, I wasn't paid off to say any of this :-bigangel)Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

I never used FSNAV but have used the demo of FS Commander for the past several months. Since ASX I bought FSBuild and use that for flightplanning, although I really liked FS Commander I found I really didn't need a moving map etc... I may however just buy the license to support the developer as it is a good little program. It is chocked full of all sorts of information including airport information and a fairly good although rudimentary map. FSBuild's map leaves alot to be desired but flightplan generation is fairly simple and it contains real world flightplans with the ability to export in many different formats.With that said, Flightaware with it's real world IFR flightplans among the plethora of online flightplanners and even the FSX in game planner do the job fairly well. The FSX planner, despite the inability to search for waypoints and the inclusion of Sids and Stars, excels for VFR flying. The planners waypoint capability is a really good way to plot a course through mountain valleys and select a waypoint to line up with the arrival runway, and even IFR planning gets the job done.Since I never used FSNAV, maybe I don't know what I'm missing, but so far I'm getting along without it. If/when it is updated for FSX, I'll take a look and see if it's something I'll need.Ian.

When and if FsNav gets released i will be the first to buy, i miss it every day. And no, i wasn't paid off either to say this.

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus | Intel Core i9-10900K @ 5.3GHz | 64GB Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 | 500 GB M.2 NVMe for win | 2TB M.2 NVMe for FS2020 | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog

Eric from EHAM, a flying Dutchman.

I was fed up with waiting for FS Nav so I bought FSC 2 months ago, I am very pleased with it. Won't be buying FS Nav now if and when it comes out.RegardsPaul EGCC

Regards

Paul EGCC

Wellllll....You talked me into it. I have been a real fan of FSNAV for a long time but am sorry I procrastinated. I wish I had FSC for the past months to enjoy and fill in the FSX flight planning and moving map cracks. It has everything of any importance that I miss in FSNav.I purchased FSCommander this morning and so far am very pleased. About the only options I see that I will miss compared to FSNAV is not being able to setup the reverse times and distances as preferred, and the "d" function for switching monitors. For what it is missing, it has a number of options that FSNav does not have though. For one thing, everything seems to be available on the second monitor where with FSNAV one had to switch back to the primary for some of the options to show up or edit flight plans. AI traffic is pretty neat as well. By far in large, they look like about six of one and a half dozen of the other to me.I would recommend it after only useing it for less than a day. Unless one is unbelievably picky, I believe that if you liked FSNAV, you will like and be satisfied with FSC. If I find anything good or bad that is significantly important to me, I will so reply later.Happy flying:RTH