Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Coffee in the cockpit?

From today’s Daily Telegraph…

TWO Indian pilots have been suspended after they posted a cockpit photograph showing an open coffee cup balancing on the controls of an airliner. The incident reportedly took place on a SpiceJet flight from Delhi to the north-eastern city of Guwahati earlier this month, while the aircraft was cruising at an altitude of 37,000 ft. 

A backlash from fellow pilots was caused after they posted it online.

A senior pilot at another Indian airline told The Daily Telegraph that the celebration posed a serious safety risk.“

45F24A0F-B964-476C-8936-415011231535.jpeg

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Dumb move…

what’s up with this new generation taking pictures and videos in flight and making a spectacle of it all? Who knows.

Putting any liquid in that position is once again….a dumb move.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

When it comes to Health and Safety a different attitude to it is very obvious in the Indian sub-continent. Look at their trains with people sitting on the carriage roofs.

• Like 3

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Like I always say - you don't need to be a bright spark to be a pilot.

David Porrett

¡Aya carramba!

Apparently neither of these guys ever saw the 1964 Glenn Ford movie Fate is the Hunter.

• Like 2

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

We have always had a rule in the jets I flew that coffee is handed to the outside of the seat you're in. In the left seat, they would hand it to you on your left side and right into the holder it went. We would never take drinks over the center pedestal/console. I remember a guy once spilled coffee on the co-pilots com panel. It was all sticky, shorted out and inoperable. We had to swap it out quickly with the one from the jump seat. I don't even know how he did it. I heard him cuss and suddenly I had to fly and handle the radios for departure. That's when I had him swap it with the jump seat. It was my leg and I wasn't about to work the radios as well.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bob Scott said:

Fate is the Hunter

An outstanding book by Earnest Gann who started commercial flying in DC-2s.  One of my all-time favorites.  Not a book you want to read while flying as a passenger.  The book is dedicated to 100 or so names of pilots who died in the line of duty.

Unfortunately the only relation to the book the movie has is the title.  After writing a few script false starts Earnest Gann gave up on it and asked his name be removed from the credits.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Holy cow that's dangerous!

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I don’t fly 737’s but unless I’m mistaken that coffee cup is actually balanced on the fuel control switches or whatever they maybe called on a 73, either way they’re not something you want to be accidentally moving in flight while reaching for your coffee.

I once saw a clumsy FO drop his open bottle of water onto the Center console on the 747. The water got into the transponder panel and we then had continuously changing random squawks all the way from northern  Canada to California, much to the displeasure of ATC.

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

They are breaking company rules and yet make a photo for evidence - how s****d those guys must be??

Artur 

6 hours ago, jon b said:

that coffee cup is actually balanced on the fuel control switches

Those are indeed the fuel control/cutoff switches.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

4 hours ago, Beardyman said:

They are breaking company rules and yet make a photo for evidence - how s****d those guys must be??

They were drinking the coffee in an attempt to sober up.

Hook

• Like 2

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

7 hours ago, jon b said:

that coffee cup is actually balanced on the fuel control switches

Thank goodness there wasn't space for two cups.

Dugald Walker

I saw this this morning. Thought. How stupid can you be? 

It was posted in the Facebook group “airplanes and coffee”. I love the group, but the crew must not stay up to date with the incident that happened literally a couple months ago where the crew had to declare an emergency because they spilt coffee on the electronics accidentally. 

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight