Sign in to follow this  
FlyingsCool

Accidentally overwritten default aircraft files

I appear to have accidentally overwritten some of my FSX default aircraft files with FS9 ones, after inadvertently copying the FS9 default a/c folders whilst copying all my FS9 AI aircraft folders over to the new sim :-roll.Now when in FSX, some of the default a/c have all their gauges missing, and also I'm getting the 'green windshield' effect in every default a/c VC whenever it rains. Now I'm just wondering whether to do a 'repair' install from my FSX disc? How does the 'repair' install function work exactly? I have SP1 installed, so should I uninstall that before doing the repair, and then re-install it afterwards? I'm also wondering how some of my addons in my current FSX installation may be affected by doing the repair? (such as ASX & UTX for example?)Forgive my acute paranoia, but I don't particularly want to inadvertently overwrite even more stuff :( Any help would be appreciated.

>I appear to have accidentally overwritten some of my FSX>default aircraft files with FS9 ones, after inadvertently>copying the FS9 default a/c folders whilst copying all my FS9>AI aircraft folders over to the new sim :-roll.>>Now when in FSX, some of the default a/c have all their gauges>missing, and also I'm getting the 'green windshield' effect in>every default a/c VC whenever it rains. >>Now I'm just wondering whether to do a 'repair' install from>my FSX disc? How does the 'repair' install function work>exactly? >>I have SP1 installed, so should I uninstall that before doing>the repair, and then re-install it afterwards? I'm also>wondering how some of my addons in my current FSX installation>may be affected by doing the repair? (such as ASX & UTX for>example?)>>Forgive my acute paranoia, but I don't particularly want to>inadvertently overwrite even more stuff :( >>Any help would be appreciated. >> > Re-install FSX using 'REPAIR' option. Then re-install SP1.

Nope, repair won't do it. It will think you wanted to change your aircraft.cfg files and won't overwrite them because they are newer.If you have some extra disk space, install FSX on another machine (no need to activate it), and then copy over the aircraft directories to your regular machine. Then delete the installation on the other machine.This is one reason I highly recommend creating an FSXAircraft directory for installing your addon planes (it helps automatic installers work better to boot), and I also have installed my FS9 aircraft to SimObjectsFS9 (editing my FSX.cfg appropriately so FSX sees these directories as aircraft directories).Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

>Nope, repair won't do it. It will think you wanted to change>your aircraft.cfg files and won't overwrite them because they>are newer.>Would just deleting the aircraft folder and then trying repair not work as well?

YesWe all tend to forget that Repair will not overwrite changed user modifiable files - like the aircraft.cfg or textures.

Yes, but then you run the risk of really messing up your installation. You will have to run SP1 again, and if Repair didn't update something else you changed, then the SP1 reinstallation won't work or could be messed up. Personally, I don't trust that repair will do what I expect it to do.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

>Yes, but then you run the risk of really messing up your>installation. You will have to run SP1 again, and if Repair>didn't update something else you changed, then the SP1>reinstallation won't work or could be messed up. Personally,>I don't trust that repair will do what I expect it to do.>>ThomasWell there's always the option of trying the repair. If that doesn't work then doing a reinstall.

If you are going to go through the trouble of taking a chance on doing a repair and very likely doing a reinstall later, and you are going to have to reinstall SP1 after doing a repair, and it is likely that it may not work, especially if he has gone and messed around with adding FS9 planes and other things; might as well go the route of installing FSX somewhere else and copying the SimObjectsAirplanes directory back over his original installation. Then he's all set and doesn't have to upset anything else that he has installed.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg