Sign in to follow this  
Guest fsxmissionguy

What is this about DX10?

Hmmm...see the chapter...is Vista starting to kick ####?http://www.rahulsood.com/Quote:"I just heard that Microsoft dropped two patch Vista Fix Packs in order to solve some of the issues we have been seeing in Vista. As a matter of fact, I recently blogged about the issues I was experiencing in Microsoft Flight Sim X, among other games - and what do you know, I get an email in my inbox this morning asking me to download these patches.http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=938194http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=938979So I downloaded and installed them - and now I'm flying through Friday Harbor on a float plane - at 2560x1600 with maximum detail enabled. This is ultimate way to experience DirectX 10 goodness -- and oh my god, thank you so much for making DX10! It's so real, I can't even begin to explain the look/feel of the game. As I look down over the water I see the white crests of the waves gurgling in the middle of the bay. I did some whale watching on another flight - and the scenery & sites couldn't be more immersive. Try taking a helicopter through Vegas at night and if you aren't blown away I'll eat my hat!I should probably apologize to the guys at Nvidia for giving them such a hard time on this, it's good to see that they're getting it right. It will be nice when they do the same for our previous customers who purchased PCs last year and are looking to upgrade to Vista now."UnquoteHmmm.... Whats he talking about?Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest JSPuonti

I have no idea - but I know what he's NOT talking about. FSX running through DX10 :D

My daddy told me to never display my ignorance in public. Somebody needs to tell him the same thing. The guy doesn't have a clue...DougEdited to clean it up a bit :-)

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Considering that he is the CTO for HP's Global Gaming Division, he may have a pre-release or BETA to test on their Voodoo line of PCs. In fact, he does comment back that it is not available to the public yet, and they (HP/Voodoo) will be showcasing in September.Kylehttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpg

Kyle

Main Sim PC: P3D v5.2 & MSFS 2020, i9-10850k @ 5.0 GHz, ASUS Maximus XII Hero, ASUS TUF-RTX3080-12G, Dell U3011 30" IPS monitor, G.Skill 32GB 3200 Trident Z 14-14-14, Samsung 512GB 960 Pro NVMe (OS), Samsung 2TB 970 EVO NVMe (Sim), Win 10 Pro 64, Yoko Yoke, Saitex Combat Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant

Guest JSPuonti

Thing is, he's talking about graphical features of the DX10 patch that I don't believe Aces have even CREATED yet - like the "white-crests on top of waves" which, if I'm not mistaken, Phil from Aces pointed out will not even BE included in the DX10 version of FSX. As he also recently pointed out, they've only now managed to make DX10 FSX look identical to DX9 FSX (with a 17% performance increase).So how could anyone have a secret DX10 version of FSX that actually LOOKS LIKE it is using DX10, with graphical improvements that in all likelyhood will NOT be included in the patch when it's eventually released, when a couple of weeks ago such did not exist and I'm guessing it's still being worked on? :DIsn't that sort of... impossible?

"With respect, considering that the DX10 pipeline for FSX hasn't even been developed enough even for beta testing yet, what you are experiencing is the full glory of DX9.0L rendering of FSX... ;)"

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

There is no doubt in my mind, he's running DX9L.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest nels

....but we are are secretly excited until we hear the truth for Phil or Paul right?Or is it just me feeling like we've perhaps been left out the loop?To be quite honest, I'm inclined not to believe this based on how honest Phils been with the DirectX 10 development.Nels

I think he's thinking he's seeing whitecaps. I can see how someone might see that when looking a the Shader 2.x water when the sun hits it.Even HP's gaming division or whatever it is, will not have FSX running on DX10 at this time. They can't because of the reasons posted by others, above.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Thats the version of DX9 in Longhorn, eg Vista.It has a few extras over the DX9 in XP for developers, hence the moniker DX9L. If you care about the extras, they are detailed on the MSDN developer pages.

Guest nels

True Rhett. If you read it again (and imagine DX9) then its just an overblown statement from HP hoping to push some more boxes out the door.Conclusion - its just DX9 - mistakenly interpreted as DX10 (cos he heard the overheard the other HP game employees at lunch talking about next gen DX10 games) and thought it would sound nice.Sorry that was a bit harsh..EDIT - but here comes Phil to put us all right......come on Phil - what do you think / know?Nels

I am checking thru channels about what Rasul thought he had when he made these comments; and since HP is a valued partner I need to be careful here. Given the date of the post, "DX10 looking like DX9" could have been involved. And that confused many folks here, given how many times I had to explain it :-). So yes its possible some confusion is involved.Hey, not everyone gets everything right. I believe if anything his enthusiasm got the best of him and thats not a terrible thing, to be enthusiastic.