Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

A better way to deliver by drone?

I think I like it. No noise, no high speed propellers threatening your cat, or kids playing on your drive. 

• Like 2

The Ruwanda blood delivery by catapult launch and catching the drone on a line is impresive too. Simple but effective. 

Our YouTube recommendations must be the same , popped  up on mine this morning 🙂

• Like 1

Luke Pype

5 hours ago, MaDDogz said:

Our YouTube recommendations must be the same , popped  up on mine this morning 🙂

They realize that great minds think alike. 😏

That is incredible engineering! So  simple; yet so elegant... 🤔

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

In a world of robots and drones what's going to be left for people to do?

I'm thinking of the 90 year old man who saw the advent of automobiles wondering what would left for horses to do.  

Noel

Edited by birdguy

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

This drone is impressive and does address some issues with drone deliveries, but I'm still not sold on it becoming widespread, at least not for a good while yet. Probably most useful for now for a few very time critical deliveries such as medical aid, search and rescue or for those outside urban areas.

https://youtu.be/J-M98KLgaUU

I can see this working in an area relatively flat without tall buildings in the way of the drone's flight. In an urban area, it would not be very safe nor practical, IMHO.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

People will make sure this never works.

There are already videos of people viciously attacking delivery robots, apparently just out of sheer destructiveness.

I can easily see that becoming a video fad.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

8 hours ago, goates said:

This drone is impressive and does address some issues with drone deliveries, but I'm still not sold on it becoming widespread, at least not for a good while yet. Probably most useful for now for a few very time critical deliveries such as medical aid, search and rescue or for those outside urban areas.

https://youtu.be/J-M98KLgaUU

Like all technology, it will be used where its most useful, required. There's a huge amount of parcel post delivered, clearly, if it was all via drone, the skies would be full of the little guys zooming around. I see it as being popular for rapid delivery requirements, services you pay a premium for, or, like the blood delivery catapult service in the video, life saving deliveries to hospitals. 

There will no doubt be a balance in the future, like we have now. Currently, we have parcels transported by rail, plane, road, ship. Drones will be just one more method available. 

11 hours ago, birdguy said:

In a world of robots and drones what's going to be left for people to do?

Whatever you fancy doing. A robot lawn mower is available, but you can still do it yourself. A robot vacuum cleaner is available but you can still do it yourself. In the case of drones delivering parcels, there will still be road, rail, ship deliveries I would say. 

6 hours ago, n4gix said:

I can see this working in an area relatively flat without tall buildings in the way of the drone's flight. In an urban area, it would not be very safe nor practical, IMHO.

Don't sew why not. Urban delivery is what its designed for. Drones these days are perfectly capable of navigating around buildings in built up areas.