Sign in to follow this  
Orlaam

General Aviation Recommendations

I'm looking for high quality GA in the same realm as PMDG/A2A would be considered.  I'm waiting on the complex aircraft, like HJet or similar, cause I'm trying to get used to the sim and set things up to my liking.  I did buy the PMDG 737 and it's great, no question.  I don't even find it very hard to land, despite being different from previous sims.

So, I'm looking to see what aircraft is good with flight dynamics and overall systems.  The Black Square analog Baron/Bonanza is something I will consider as well.  And I see that the Kodiak 100 is something worth buying. 

I prefer analog, but as long as the flight dynamics and other systems are good, I'm okay.  The default Cessna is decent to me.  I like the analog setup and it seems to fly nicely (IOW, I can land it well).  The Caravan on the other hand floats so bad.

I guess I'm wanting to know what developers are putting out high fidelity planes for GA at the moment.  It's nice to just hop into a small plane and do very little to set up a flight and go. I just want the turbulence to be addressed.  It's too much! lol

Thank you! 😃

P.S., I'm exciting with the sim and visuals that it's hard to just focus on one thing. 🤣  The rain and storm visuals are insane.

• Like 1

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Anything from black square is great. Lots of people like the Flysimware C414 as well. Consider the hjet or vision jet from FlightFX if you want a small bizjet for longer GA flights.

• Like 1

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

Oh that C414 looks nice.  I love the old fashioned cockpit. 🙂

• Like 1

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

The Milviz C310, Flysimware C414, Simworks Kodiak, etc are all great choices both flight model and systems wise. 

I think the GA to really watch out for will be the A2A Comanche with their new completely re-written accusim framework for MSFS, currently in beta testing. Read more here:
https://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=74087
https://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=73957
https://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=73656

I just want the turbulence to be addressed.  It's too much! lol

P.S., I'm exciting with the sim and visuals that it's hard to just focus on one thing. 🤣  The rain and storm visuals are insane.

Re: turbulence, the upcoming SU12 update of the sim will allow turbulence control with config settings (low/none, medium, realistic).. the latter is the current turbulence in the sim and even that has been tuned down a bit I hear from those using the SU12 beta.  And couldn't agree more about the visuals and weather depiction :)

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 4

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

Yes, I'm excited for the Comanche!  I had that in FSX and flew it tons.  My only dislike was the AP was so rudimentary, which is fine but sometimes I just wanna have a choice.  

Which GTN/GNS are people using?  Is the TDS the best option?

- Chris

Current light GA aircraft that rate highly in things like the " Top 10" thread on the main forums and in other reviews:

1. Ants DH82 Tiger Moth
  2. Flysimware Cessna 414 Chancellor
  3. MilViz / Blackbird BB310R
  4. FS Reborn Sting S4
  5. SimWorks Studio Quest Kodiak
  6. Black Square Analog Bonanza (payware Steam/Analog conversion and Turbo mod for the default Beechcraft Bonanza)
  7. Cessna C152 with WB-Sim / JPL mod (this is a freeware mod for the default Cessna c152)
  8. Just Flight c172 enhancement mod (payware addon to improve the Premium/Deluxe Steam Gauge c172)
  9. Got Friends PZL-104 Wilga 35/80
  10. Carenado V Tail Bonanza (Carenado so not really "study level" but OK nevertheless)

Older stuff some of which needs an update that has been good in the past:

1. Just Flight PA28 Arrow, Turbo Arrows and Warrior
  2. AT Simulations Focke–Wulf Piaggio P.149
  3. Iris Simulations Jabiru

Things to look forward to in the future:

1. Black Square Analog Baron (payware Steam/Analog conversion and turbo mod for the Premium/Deluxe Beechcraft Baron)
  2. A2A Piper Comanche

Other Stuff that rates a mention - though not strictly "light" GA:

1. The Honda jet, Vision jet, Twin Otter, Beech 18, Grumman Goose, Analog King Air and Islander are all popular.

Note that some of the "improvement" addons need Premium Deluxe MSFS

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

49 minutes ago, Orlaam said:

Which GTN/GNS are people using?  Is the TDS the best option?

If you like the GTN to be exactly like the Garmin unit, the TDS option is the best.

If you like your GTN to reflect the MSFS flightplan, and function is not paramount, the PMS50 unit may be better for you..

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 2

Bert

Also

• The GTN has a free variant (without Navigraph or Weather radar) which is all most people need initially
  • The subscription GTN needs a separate Navigraph sub to remain current - basically sub to GTN and also sub to navigraph every year
  • The TDS uses the official Garmin Trainer so maps are free BUT your maps are only as up to date as the current Garmin Trainer, which can be quite old.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 1

Ahh, I see.  So the TDS is essentially like the RXP was in the older sims.  The RXP trainer wasn't super old and I don't think I ever ran into a fix that wasn't in the database.  I don't mind entering in the FP manually.  I've done that for almost all my add-ons over the years.  I do rather short flights, so it's not much.

You say they have a weather radar in one of them??  The RXP only had a visual representation but not a real-time radar NEXRAD.  Is there a GTN that has it?

• Upvote 1

- Chris

Okay, nvm.  I see that the PMS5 has a weather radar.  That's awesome!  Too many choices in the sim now, lol.  FS9 and FSX/P2D had a lot of add-ons, but I feel this version has really brought out the 3rd party talent.

I'm gonna be broke! 😂

Edited by Orlaam
  • Like 1

- Chris

@Orlaam  If you like high wing GA twins, I am really enjoying the Tecnam P2006.

https://www.aerosoft.com/en/shop/microsoft-flight-simulator/msfs-aircraft/4019/flightsim-studio-tecnam-p2006t-mkii

Obviously, the Black Square Bonanza has already been mentioned, and the Baron is due out within days.  Both of these are superb Black Square quality and you can't get any better.  I love their Caravan addon personally.

I can also vouch for the C414.  Lovely to fly.

For something simple and really nicely priced, this RANS S6S is getting good reviews.  It has been overlooked I think.  And it's another nice Rotax jobbie.

https://www.simflight.com/2023/03/15/flyboy-simulations-rans-s6s-msfs/

I am loving my GA in the sim at the moment, but I personally I am missing some classic military jets.
There are plenty of good British ones already out, but I would love a T-33 or F-86.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

34 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

@Orlaam  If you like high wing GA twins, I am really enjoying the Tecnam P2006.

https://www.aerosoft.com/en/shop/microsoft-flight-simulator/msfs-aircraft/4019/flightsim-studio-tecnam-p2006t-mkii

Obviously, the Black box Bonanza has already been mentioned, and the Baron is due out with days.  Both of these are superb Black Box quality and you can't get any better.
I love their Caravan addon personally.

I can also vouch for the C414.  Lovely to fly.

For something simple and really nicely priced, this RANS S6S is getting good reviews.  It has been overlooked I think.  And it's another nice Rotax jobbie.

https://www.simflight.com/2023/03/15/flyboy-simulations-rans-s6s-msfs/

I am loving my GA in the sim at the moment, but I personally I am missing some classic military jets.
There are plenty of good British ones already out, but I would love a T-33 or F-86.

Bob, I think you are getting Black Box and Black Square mixed up.

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

5 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

If you like the GTN to be exactly like the Garmin unit, the TDS option is the best.

If you like your GTN to reflect the MSFS flightplan, and function is not paramount, the PMS50 unit may be better for you..

It's a pity Asobo didn't add a GTN to MSFS (afaik...?). Specially since all devices that have been added (G3000, GNS) did get a great payware quality update (AAU1). Anyone knows if MSFS will ever get a default GTN? Would be nice. Okay, back on topic:

7 hours ago, Orlaam said:

I'm waiting on the complex aircraft, like HJet or similar,

The Hjet, just like other modern planes, is actually quite simple. If not extremely simple. Some people may even find it utterly boring simple because apart from programming the G3000 all you have to do is push a button to get started and that's it. I myself don't own the Hjet but I do own the Vision Jet which is equally simple to use.

Take note that I don't mean this as a negative, in fact, at this moment in time I prefer planes like these (I call a plane like this a GA Airbus: to me it's an awesome combination), but since you are talking about 'complex' I do wonder if this is the kind of plane you actually want. Also because you said:

7 hours ago, Orlaam said:

I prefer analog

The Hjet is the furthest from analog you can get! As others already posted I would look at the Milviz C310 or the (completely free) C153 (JPL mod). The Kodiak is also nice but not analog. (I can't talk about any other planes because I don't own any other.) I myself fly the default Longitude and TBM a lot because after the AAU1 update these planes are almost payware quality and very comparable to the Hjet and Vision Jet (they all use the G3000/G5000 and are easy to operate).

(BTW Even for me the Hjet really is TOO simple: it's the most automated plane I have ever seen. You don't even have to take care of the lights...! I do like to push a button every now and then so I prefer the Vision Jet which does require some button pushing.)

Edited by tup61
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Donka said:

Bob, I think you are getting Black Box and Black Square mixed up.

Thanks Donka!  Not enough coffee yet this morning.  
I think Back Box was the Islander wasn't it?  I have gone back and corrected it before I get locked out from editing.  

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.