Sign in to follow this  
mattloveday1987

Live weather?

Hi All

Juat beginning the mass install of MSFS as I type… what is everyone’s view on the live weather? Is it accurate or are there any add ons that are better the default setup?

Thanks

Matt

• Like 1

It is good, no need for any add ons IMO. It used to be even better in the beginning but it is gradually getting back there. Tomorrow it will hopefully be even better after the SU12....

• Like 2

Tapani Österberg

I use default/live.  Not perfect but generally working quite well for me.

• Like 2

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

MSFS offers the best weather generation out of the box on any sim that I've used or use.

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

Live weather is all I use, pretty much spot on most of the time but they faffed around with METAR integration in SU7 and it went backwards. Slowly getting back to what it was like pre that update, I'm currently over Madagascar and the clouds/wind match that of windy.com very well.

• Like 5

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

I'm not in the SU12 beta, and we'll all know soon enough, but various folks on the official forums are reporting live weather improvements in SU12. If a great thing is being made even better, then can't go wrong.. that's been the track record so far by MS/Asobo ever since METAR integration, so hopefully we'll keep seeing it progressively improve even more thru future SUs.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/excellent-live-weather-in-su12/581538

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 4

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

It's so convenient and economical to have everything bundled together in the single package that is MSFS: Live weather which is beautifully depicted; gorgeous, highly-detailed, worldwide ground scenery, and high-quality aircraft. No need to purchase everything separately anymore. I do own add-ons, but they are luxuries rather than necessities now.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

Question on live weather: It is separate from SIM time, right? So if it's 3am real time, but I fast forward in the sim to 8pm, is the weather is still based on conditions at 3pm (real time)?

30 minutes ago, BrammyH said:

Question on live weather: It is separate from SIM time, right? So if it's 3am real time, but I fast forward in the sim to 8pm, is the weather is still based on conditions at 3pm (real time)?

Yes. So you can theoretically fly the current daytime weather in the darkness of night or the current nighttime weather in the light of midday.

Edited by David Mills
  • Like 2

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

Interesting people think that the live weather is looking better. For me, the clouds are nice some of the time but the vast majority of the time they are volcanic/cauliflower looking, and the colour is too yellow. 

I’m on SU12 beta, and personally haven’t noticed any difference to live weather from SU11.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, abennett said:

Interesting people think that the live weather is looking better. For me, the clouds are nice some of the time but the vast majority of the time they are volcanic/cauliflower looking, and the colour is too yellow. 

I’m on SU12 beta, and personally haven’t noticed any difference to live weather from SU11.

Never noticed those type of clouds.  I guess those would be most likely in low pressure weather systems.  Another reason why MSFS weather is not some across the board implementation.

sp

6 minutes ago, Sky_Pilot071 said:

Never noticed those type of clouds.  I guess those would be most likely in low pressure weather systems.  Another reason why MSFS weather is not some across the board implementation.

I’ve often seen clouds like this. Pretty nasty. Not my image btw. I’m away from home but have seen ones like this quite often.

A956-AFCE-4-A82-426-B-B902-039-F3-CD889-

10 hours ago, MarcG said:

Live weather is all I use, pretty much spot on most of the time but they faffed around with METAR integration in SU7 and it went backwards. Slowly getting back to what it was like pre that update, I'm currently over Madagascar and the clouds/wind match that of windy.com very well.

This is an interesting take.  Pre SU7, weather at airports often bore no resemblance at all to actual conditions, as the 12 hour model runs would often blow the timing of events like frontal passage by whole hours. This completely negated the use of any real-world flight planning tools, and badly broke the experience of networked flying as well (ie Vatsim.). 

The integration of METAR into the depiction of airport weather is probably the single greatest advancement this sim has made in weather accuracy.  It can be debated whether the clouds are more or less "pretty" now (I think they look good), but conditions are certainly more accurate than they ever were before.

Edited by Stearmandriver
  • Like 1

Andrew Crowley

2 hours ago, abennett said:

I guess its all in how we view it, but like you, I agree. Also using the SU12 beta and although things are improving some there is still a lot of work to go.

The clouds are where they should be, but something is way off with the cloud heights, layer(s) (normally not enough), missing true overcast, and most especially the cloud types (we have cumulus puffs everywhere or a thin strange looking wispy flatter type of transparent puff) and most every one of them are very transparent can see through them.. 

Edited by KERNEL32