Sign in to follow this  
AviatorMan

Black Square where next?

Taking a well developed a/c visually (e.g. the default G36 Bonanza) and applying the FSRealistic effects addon, along with a Black Square systems level enhancement, and we seem to have a GA of close-to-A2A quality. So one might ask, what if there were more of these?  

Someone has already suggested in another post that the Carenado fleet, generally all planes of high visual quality, would be a promising group of a/c to apply this thinking. But we could end up with several duplicate high quality a/c.  For example what if Black Square took on the Carenado V35, and in the meantime A2A releases it's MSFS2020 version of its own V-Tail. Would simmers be willing to buy both? I for example would then have three Bonanzas, two of them V-Tail models. Yes I would buy them all! Which leads to another general question: do simmers even care if they have redundant a/c? I think that currently we often have redundant a/c because we buy one, and it seems nice enough but lacks in systems depth, then another developer brings out the same a/c, and we buy it hoping it is higher quality system-wise. For example the Carenado and JustFlight PA28 Arrows. I think nearly all would agree that the JustFlight version was worth the additional purchase even though we may have also bought the Carenado version. In the Carenado/Black Square scenario we would be nearly guaranteed to have a very high quality a/c. 

I wanted to discuss this in more detail to get a feeling of how the response might be if Black Square and Carenado did in fact decide to go ahead with this. It seems that it could potentially provide additional revenue life for Carenado models that have gone stale. And it seems as if it could be good for Black Square as it requires existing a/c of high visual quality to work with. One possible drawback to the plan from a business plan pov, is that so far the Black Square enhancements have been applied to a/c with glass cockpits. So one of the marketing advantages is that apparently many simmers, myself included, just do not like glass cockpits - analog is all we have ever flown in real life and just cannot get used to the smaller, harder to read digital instrumentation. But most of the Carenados already have analog cockpits.

• Like 1

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

Personally, what I would like to see is Black Square tackle not an existing frame and skins, but create an entirely new aircraft both internally and externally.  I love their efforts so far, but would like to see them challenge themselves to create a complete package.

4 minutes ago, PDX Flyer said:

Personally, what I would like to see is Black Square tackle not an existing frame and skins, but create an entirely new aircraft both internally and externally.  I love their efforts so far, but would like to see them challenge themselves to create a complete package.

Didn't they do the Velocity XL? I don't think that was exactly multi award winning. 

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

16 minutes ago, St Mawgan said:

Didn't they do the Velocity XL? I don't think that was exactly multi award winning. 

They did, I own it and it flies like a champ!

Regardless of what we might get coming down the pike, I'd really like to see the developers start investing in some valuable R&D time inside the aircraft they are simulating, so they can gather first hand important info pertaining to the flight behavior during the different phases of flight.

Ya know, I like what they are doing. There has always been a space for enhancing aircraft offerings for a long time. Mostly users would get in there on their own time to tweak aircraft. This actually reminds me of the real world in regard to avionics packages you might find for different aircraft. Someone mentioned good R & D, which would be awesome. I'm not sure how this impacts the main owners of the aircraft they enhance. I would love to see them move and get involved with all types of aircraft to include heavies. Aircraft like the skysim MD11, CS777 and CS767 would be great targets. If they can spend time enhancing avionics, systems and flight models, they can pick up some money quickly.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, PDX Flyer said:

As well as the already mentioned Velocity XL they have teased that they are working on a Beech Starship 2000

They should just keep improving the default planes. I don’t want to buy Carenado and then have to buy BS upgrades. Very happy with the upgrades BS have done so far. 

• Like 4

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

1 hour ago, AviatorMan said:

I wanted to discuss this in more detail to get a feeling of how the response might be if Black Square and Carenado did in fact decide to go ahead with this. 

Dude, they're not going to "go ahead" with this, this whole idea makes zero economical sense and it doesn't take much thinking to realize why.

• Like 1

BS Carenado is not a great brand name. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

2 minutes ago, Johnny Wyatt said:

Dude, they're not going to "go ahead" with this, this whole idea makes zero economical sense and it doesn't take much thinking to realize why.

The Mooney with the systems depth of the BS Bonanza? My god, yes please! 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, St Mawgan said:

BS Carenado is not a great brand name. 

:laugh:

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

I guess the recently announced Steam Gauge Overhaul Analog TBM will be the next release.

Apart from this it would be great to see a Digital Gauge Overhaul series. A Black Square SR22 or DA62 would be awesome.

Edited by Tim-HH
  • Like 2

Greetings
Tim

My files in the Avsim File Library | Flightsim.to

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

57 minutes ago, Tim-HH said:

Apart from this it would be great to see a Digital Gauge Overhaul series. A Black Square SR22 or DA62 would be awesome.

Yes these two would both be great!  They were early favourites of mine but have fallen largely into disuse given the number of higher fidelity GA available.

I wonder if they lose some marketability though since they wouldn’t be creating an analogue version?  Maybe these just come at a lower price point or something.

Edited by regis9

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Maybe after the TBM, they could tackle the default DC-3 and give it a decent radial engine simulation. Also add a more modern IFR cockpit with newer equipment and radios like many DC-3's have now. 

• Like 1